Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2011, 19:29   #1
Bubbaman

YHM Titanium Phantom

I decided to take the plunge and get my first class III device. The paperwork is en route and I am trying to choose between a stainless Phantom, or the new titanium Phantom. The only reason I was looking at the titanium was because it is only 60% of the weight of the stainless, and a lifetime purchase. I plan to use this thing on a .17hmr ruger m77, and the new purchase, a Noveske Rogue 16" w/switchblock. I know for a rifle 8oz isn't much, but if you have hung a stainless phantom on a pistol, you know how much weight is there.

Does anyone here think the Ti is worth $50/ounce more than the stainless version?
Bubbaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:38   #2
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

I wouldnt use a Ti silencer on a AR15. Ti is a poor metal for rapid and high heat. Ti is better suited for a bolt gun and slow shooting. Inconel is the BEST material for a silencer ending up on a AR15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook Fanpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Last edited by Fireman1291; 03-24-2011 at 11:38..
Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51   #3
Bubbaman

I believe it is a mixture of titanium and Inconel. I won't be rapid firing through this can.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:54   #4
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

You have better self control than I. I have a 10.5" Noveske with a M4-2000 on it and I love letting at least one mag rip per range session. A lesser can would be destroyed after a couple range visits.

If your dead set on YHM, Id get the phantom in SS and spend the savings on a pistol can or a case of ammo.

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 03-26-2011, 06:44   #5
Bubbaman

I guess the baffles are made out of iconel, they are full-auto rated for a 60 round burst of 5.56 and it has a lifetime warranty. I was going to switch and get the stainless version, and then pick up a separate can for a .22/.17, but my form 4 showed up and the phantom ti was already on it.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49   #6
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Sounds good then. Enjoy your new toy! Thumbs up!

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 04-18-2011, 07:52   #7
Yellowfin

Just a small suggestion: get a Mite for the .17. Rimfire specific cans are able to be taken apart to clean whereas a Phantom is not, and you'll want to clean it to get rid of the fouling. I know it's annoying to pay another tax stamp, but as you pointed out you'll have them for life so it's best to have what's going to get you the most mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn Jilette
You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws. It's insane!
Yellowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 19:24   #8
Bubbaman

Since the wait was so long, I tried to think (and plan ahead) for what I think I would want in 4 months. So, I was doing a bunch of reading and ordered a .45 Osprey can while I am waiting on my phantom. I also knew that I would be disappointed with just the phantom to put on my .17, so I also ordered a sparrow to put on it.

Now I have to wait 3-4 months for my first (3) cans!