Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2013, 21:37   #1
mdarter

Wide frame in a narrow IWB holster

I'm trying to figure out my concealed carry approach. As you can see in my signature I have two calibers and two frames to deal with. I want to carry my G30 but it seems it's all about the holster.

I have several IWB holsters (DeSantis Intruder, KingTuk (all 9mm) and OldFaithful (45)/ All my holsters designed for the narrow frame see really loose; almost no retention at all.

The most comfortable holster for me is the Intruder at 3:00 in terms of cant and fit, but they don't make it in a wide frame flavor. I'm comfortable with the fit of my G30 in a G26/G19/G17 holster.

Anyone else "forcing" a wide frame (G30) into a narrow holster?
Remington 870 Express
Ruger 10/22RB-CL
mdarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15   #2
AZ Husker

I feel it is imperative that you get the proper fitting holster made for your specific weapon. It could mean your life.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57   #3
Lowjiber

Why not just get a holster made for your weapon?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:59   #4
fortheboys

Proper holster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I feel it is imperative that you get the proper fitting holster made for your specific weapon. It could mean your life.
I could not agree more with this. You are carrying the weapon to protect yourself if the need ever came up and you should NOT risk carrying the G30 in a holster that is not made for it.
You could answer your own question by putting the 30 into a smaller holster and seeing for yourself what kind of predicament you would be in if you had to draw to defend your life, especially with an iwb holster.
For what it is worth, I just purchased a Theis iwb for my 30SF and I will never carry this weapon a different way from here on out.

Good luck with your search.
fortheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33   #5
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Just don't. Quality holsters are sized for a specific weapon. Multiple models of a particular gun may have the same exterior dimensions, and thus have one holster made to accommodate them. But don't carry a different sized gun in a holster it's not intended for. Generic holsters that aren't tailored to a specific gun are insufficient. I don't use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarter View Post
I'm trying to figure out my concealed carry approach. As you can see in my signature I have two calibers and two frames to deal with. I want to carry my G30 but it seems it's all about the holster.

I have several IWB holsters (DeSantis Intruder, KingTuk (all 9mm) and OldFaithful (45)/ All my holsters designed for the narrow frame see really loose; almost no retention at all.

The most comfortable holster for me is the Intruder at 3:00 in terms of cant and fit, but they don't make it in a wide frame flavor. I'm comfortable with the fit of my G30 in a G26/G19/G17 holster.

Anyone else "forcing" a wide frame (G30) into a narrow holster?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:41   #6
ken grant

Leather Holster for a Glock small frame, sold my small frame pistol.

Wrapped Glock 30 in plastic wrap, soaked holster in Alcohol, inserted wrapped G30,mold with hands and let dry.

Worked out great.

Last edited by ken grant; 06-21-2013 at 06:42..
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36   #7
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

I would not under any circumstance use a holster that my G30 rides in for anything other than a G29/G30.

Slimmer models that do not fit snug may roll or slip out during carry. Too much liability to you if something goes wrong with the holster.

Holsters do not have to cost an arm and a leg if that is an issue. Look at Tagua Leather for inexpensive option. I do not own or carry a Tagua but I have seen them first hand and they are a decent inexpensive option: http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/home
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24   #8
mdarter

Thanks, I get what you're all saying. In fact several of the comments about loose fit are exactly what I'm seeing and confused about. I don't know what a proper fit is.

I wouldn't consider these holsters cheap or generic (well, OK I guess the Old Faithful kit could be considered somewhat generic); the DeSantis Intruder is made for the G26/G17, as is the Galco KingTuk. When I put my G26 in either one, hold it horizontal and start to tilt the holster so gravity pulls it out, the gun slides out before I get to a 45* angle. There's not much retention from either holster.

I bought the Old Faithful for my G30 as a kit, so I'm the one that "fitted" the gun, since it uses a flat piece of Kydex and rubber spacers to fit the gun and retention. I tightened the fasteners tight enough that I can hold the G30 vertical and it won't slide out without a little shake, but it's still comfortable for me to draw from IWB.

So which one is the proper fit? Seems to me the Intruder and KingTuk are a little loose? Or do I have the Old Faithful too tight?

Money isn't the issue. I'm looking for quality and fit; as I said the Intruder fits me better than the KingTuk, but they don't offer the Intruder for a wide frame Glock.

Thanks;
Remington 870 Express
Ruger 10/22RB-CL
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28   #9
mdarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheboys View Post
For what it is worth, I just purchased a Theis iwb for my 30SF and I will never carry this weapon a different way from here on out.

Good luck with your search.
I've looked at Theis's website. Which one did you go with? I'd love to find an AIWB option as well.
Remington 870 Express
Ruger 10/22RB-CL
Old 06-21-2013, 20:50   #10
DannyII

Just get a Comp-tac MTAC, and a kydex body for both sizes. $128.

One holster, one position, one draw, all the time.

Done.
Old 06-21-2013, 21:35   #11
mdarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyII View Post
Just get a Comp-tac MTAC, and a kydex body for both sizes. $128.

One holster, one position, one draw, all the time.

Done.
I just missed a nice used one on the bay. Nice looking holster.

However, my LGS was nice enough to exchange my KingTuk for one made for the G30 and I'm breaking it in now. I like it so far.
Remington 870 Express
Ruger 10/22RB-CL
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16   #12
lethal tupperwa

this is the Thinnest!, most Adjustable one!

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K7.htm

j-hook makes for easy on and off

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 06-22-2013 at 11:40..
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote