SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:29   #1
hockeybrianboy

Send a message via AIM to hockeybrianboy
Tennessee Carry Permit ?s

I'm signed up to take the Tennessee Carry Permit Class next Saturday. Anyone have insight on what I should expect, what to do before hand, how much I need to know about my gun before hand, etc.

Any insight would be much appreciated

Who wishes they were carrying a gun now?
hockeybrianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:23   #2
trcubed

If you were in my class...

Expectations

1. Don't bring a firearm or ammo into the classroom until asked to do so.
2. Pay attention.
3. Ask questions about areas you don't fully understand.
4. Do NOTHING to endanger the instructor or your classmates.

"Nice to Haves"

1. Be familiar enough with weapons in general to understand and demonstrate the 4 rules of safety
2. Be familiar enough with your particular weapon to demonstrate safely loading/unloading
3. Be familiar enough with weapons to demonstrate basic marksmanship

If you can't meet the expectations, the class you're spending time and money on won't be as enjoyable or successful as it could be otherwise. It can quickly become a very negative experience.

The "nice to haves" make the class move more smoothly. The CCW class isn't meant to be a NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol class, so hopefully we won't have to spend time getting you up to speed so you can pass the shooting test portion. If we do, we do, and it seems we always have to bring one+ students to a level of proficiency so they can be successful.

First and foremost, be safe.

Good luck. Take an open mind to class, learn, and have fun.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39   #3
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Even if you have never shot a gun, never taken your gun out of the box before, you'll pass just fine. Don't sweat it.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58   #4
BlutoBlutarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Even if you have never shot a gun, never taken your gun out of the box before, you'll pass just fine. Don't sweat it.
Provided you pass the shooting qual. When I took mine over a decade ago, we had to shoot at 7, 15 and 25 yards. Strong hand, weak hand and freestyle. The class part was easy if you pay attention.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:10   #5
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

The range part is easy, even for a beginner. If even a first time shooter had a problem, it was because the instructor deviated from requirements of their own accord.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29   #6
SuperSleuth

Bring questions. If they're not answered by the lecture, ask them.
SuperSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16   #7
Gary Slider

I had a lady who when she aimed the firearm it was pointed 4 feet high and 4 feet to the left of the target at 12 feet. I went through grip and sight alignment and she just couldn't aim the firearm. Then I had her ground the firearm on the bench and using her dominate had I had her point at the target. She pointed 4 feet high and 4 feet to the left of the target. Everything stopped then and I told her she had to go see the eye doctor and point to the Chart with your finger just like you did right here. Never heard from her again. Only time I have ever seen something like that. I don't know how she drove a car.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; 03-26-2011 at 11:17..
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18   #8
Gary Slider

Participate. Ask questions. If you don't understand ASK! Listen. Pay Attention. You will do just fine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:56   #9
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybrianboy View Post
I'm signed up to take the Tennessee Carry Permit Class next Saturday. Anyone have insight on what I should expect, what to do before hand, how much I need to know about my gun before hand, etc.

Any insight would be much appreciated
Hello, there! Don't worry about a thing. The class is really all about firearms handling safety, and the law, regarding use of lethal force in self defense. Everything on your test will be explicitly stated in the instruction, and in the videos. Stay awake, and pay attention, and you will ace the test. As for the range qualification, if you can load a sidearm without an ND, and keep all your shots in your own lane, you'll qualify just fine.

Where are you attending? Coal Creek Armory? Frontier Firearms? Sgt. Lett? Gunny's?
Old 03-26-2011, 16:49   #10
Deye76

Currently a permit holder in Mi., if moving to Tn. is a training class/qualifying required?
Deye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 19:48   #11
OldCurlyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
I had a lady who when she aimed the firearm it was pointed 4 feet high and 4 feet to the left of the target at 12 feet. I went through grip and sight alignment and she just couldn't aim the firearm. Then I had her ground the firearm on the bench and using her dominate had I had her point at the target. She pointed 4 feet high and 4 feet to the left of the target. Everything stopped then and I told her she had to go see the eye doctor and point to the Chart with your finger just like you did right here. Never heard from her again. Only time I have ever seen something like that. I don't know how she drove a car.

That sounds like a severe hand/eye dominance problem with an astigmatism problem thrown in to boot.

I am left hand/right eye dominate and shoot everything right handed. As far as shooting goes my mother did me a favor when she "converted" me starting at a very young age. She thought everyone was supposed to be right handed. By the time I got to grade school it was already done and I didn't have to deal with some old fashioned teachers who would NOT allow anyone in their class to write left handed. Though it did slow down my coordination on other things by a year or two.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)
OldCurlyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 20:01   #12
trcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deye76 View Post
Currently a permit holder in Mi., if moving to Tn. is a training class/qualifying required?
Yes. Your MI permit won't transfer to TN, but your knowledge will.
Old 03-27-2011, 23:54   #13
hockeybrianboy

Carry Permit Class

I'm taking the class at Coal Creek Seraph

Old 03-28-2011, 06:12   #14
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

No loaded firearms in class, use good ammo that you have fired before and know that works in your firearm.
Ask any questions you have, always remember and use the firearms safe handling rules.
Shoot and clean before class to be familiar with your firearm.
Always and I mean alway be the safest person you can be with any firearm.
Listen to the classroom portion and relax for the shooting part, the shooting part is the easiest part.
Always listen and folllow the instructors commands on the range.
Have everything you will need before class, i.e. safety items (glasses, ear plugs).
Tennesses requirements are quite simple and easy to complete and pass.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-03-2011, 23:37   #15
hockeybrianboy

grrrr

I missed 3 shots for a 94% and it was actually the low score in the class I think But I passed so.

It was funny though; one young black male was trying to buy a glock towards the end of the class before we did our shooting (after class was already 7 hours in). He was feeling it to see how he liked it and he put it in his pants (without a holster of any type. One of the women in the class was a trauma nurse and was telling him "that's a vasectomy waiting to happen". Everyone was laughing and I overheard a few of the range employees saying how they were kind of worried about selling it to him. So they started the paperwork while we went to the range to qualify (he was using a rental gun).

And about 5 minutes later one of the employees came in and handed a note to the instructor (you may have heard of him, Rick Newstrom) that the guy hadn't passed his background check so they pulled him from the class, he didn't pass the class, he didn't get his $90 refund and he didn't get to buy the gun. So that was kind of entertaining.

Goin to the DMV tomorrow to file the paperwork and schedule fingerprinting.

Old 04-04-2011, 00:05   #16
HarleyGuy

I had to "bribe" my wife to go take an NRA Basic Course.

After she passed that we went to the gun shop to buy her a gun of her own.
SHe couldn't work the slide on asemi-auto so we ended up buying her S&W .357 revolver with a 3" barrel.

I then asked her what it would take to get her to take the CPL class.
(I just wanted her that have her CPL in case I had to leave her in the car with my gun).
Well. it took another bribe!

In preparation for her class, we stopped at a Sportsmens Warehouse for some ammo for her gun. I was looking at some guns and she asked if she could hold the semi-autothat I was looking at?
Suddenly, she's now able to work the slide so we ended up buying her a Sig 380 semi-auto.

So, I book her a spot in a CPL class with this friend of mine.
I take her to the range two or three times for practice.

The "big day" comes and she asks me if there's anything more that she should know before she heads out for class?

I said yep, two things: Don't shoot anyone and don't drop your gun in the dirt.

She passed the class so well that some of the instructors asked her if she had taken the training before.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:48   #17
TnHawk-45

In Tn going to the DMV is the hardest part! Me and 4 others who were there for their permits turned it into a party. Idiot got smart with us about being so happy and asked what we were so 'happy' about. Told him it was to get the paperwork finished to carry our GUNS! For some reason he did NOT want to bother us anymore! LOL

After we left there we all went to Cracker Barrel together for breakfast!
TnHawk-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 17:47   #18
trcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybrianboy View Post
I missed 3 shots for a 94% and it was actually the low score in the class I think But I passed so.

It was funny though; one young black male was trying to buy a glock towards the end of the class before we did our shooting (after class was already 7 hours in). He was feeling it to see how he liked it and he put it in his pants (without a holster of any type. One of the women in the class was a trauma nurse and was telling him "that's a vasectomy waiting to happen". Everyone was laughing and I overheard a few of the range employees saying how they were kind of worried about selling it to him. So they started the paperwork while we went to the range to qualify (he was using a rental gun).

And about 5 minutes later one of the employees came in and handed a note to the instructor (you may have heard of him, Rick Newstrom) that the guy hadn't passed his background check so they pulled him from the class, he didn't pass the class, he didn't get his $90 refund and he didn't get to buy the gun. So that was kind of entertaining.

Goin to the DMV tomorrow to file the paperwork and schedule fingerprinting.
Congratulations! Knew you could do it! How long is the wait to get your permit?

Harleyguy...I'd rather teach women than men any day. They come to class with a completely open mind and none of the know-it-all issues we gun guys seem to be born with. Glad your wife enjoyed herself.
Old 04-06-2011, 19:52   #19
CJCinTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHawk-45 View Post
In Tn going to the DMV is the hardest part!
I agree with this. I got mine several years ago, and it took the entire 3 months to get it.

I've heard it has gotten better. . .
CJCinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 19:58   #20
Chuche2

Lately permits have been coming back from Nashville in 25 to 35 days.
Chuche2 is offline   Reply With Quote