Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2011, 16:15   #1
FL2NV

Issue brand new 442

I purchased a brand new S&W 442 no lock from Buds in February (test fired on 1/11), and just got my new permit authorizing me to carry revolvers. So I went to check out my new pocket holster I got today, and opening the cylinder to check if it was loaded, I went to close it, and it would not shut. I went to look at why, and a spring and a little silver piece fell of the front where the extractor goes to. (in Pics) Now it won't stay in place, and based on pictures I found, it looks like some kind of pin slides in to hold it. I looked all over, and can't find the pin. Of course it could have came out at the range when I was qualifying with it. My question is, does this piece matter? It seems like it functions w/o it. It just sucks because it's brand new and has only had 30 rounds through it. Should I get it fixed, or does it matter? Pics are below.
Attached Thumbnails
Gunsmithing - Click for larger version   Gunsmithing - Click for larger version  

Last edited by FL2NV; 03-26-2011 at 16:16..
FL2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 16:27   #2
Berto
woo woo

The locking bolt pin fell out.
Call S&W and have them send you a new locking bolt pin.
Install locking bolt and spring, the pin is there to hold it in place as you observed.
S&W probably won't charge anything if you explain the fact that it's new and shouldn't have happened.
It's best to fix it so you have proper lockup at both ends of the cylinder.

Last edited by Berto; 03-26-2011 at 16:27..
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 16:32   #3
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2NV View Post
I purchased a brand new S&W 442 no lock from Buds in February (test fired on 1/11), and just got my new permit authorizing me to carry revolvers. So I went to check out my new pocket holster I got today, and opening the cylinder to check if it was loaded, I went to close it, and it would not shut. I went to look at why, and a spring and a little silver piece fell of the front where the extractor goes to. (in Pics) Now it won't stay in place, and based on pictures I found, it looks like some kind of pin slides in to hold it. I looked all over, and can't find the pin. Of course it could have came out at the range when I was qualifying with it. My question is, does this piece matter? It seems like it functions w/o it. It just sucks because it's brand new and has only had 30 rounds through it. Should I get it fixed, or does it matter? Pics are below.
Yes, it should be pinned. Get it fixed right away because the next time you turn the gun up to extract spent shells you run the risk of it dropping out and you never finding it again. It is what locks the cylinder in place.
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 23:34   #4
FL2NV

It seems to lock in place just fine w/o it, but I guess getting it fixed wouldn't hurt.

Thanks

Last edited by FL2NV; 03-26-2011 at 23:34..
Old 03-27-2011, 02:22   #5
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
It seems to lock in place just fine w/o it, but I guess getting it fixed wouldn't hurt.

Thanks
Of course it locks in place without the locking pin. It's when you open it to unload you run the risk of losing it!

Last edited by ChrisJn; 03-27-2011 at 13:11.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2011, 15:42   #6
FL2NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJn View Post
Of course it locks in place without the locking pin. It's when you open it to unload you run the risk of losing it!
What will I lose? The little silver piece that has the pin missing? What I mean is that it seems to lock just fine w/o that piece even in there.
Old 03-27-2011, 16:00   #7
Petrie

Quote:
What will I lose? The little silver piece that has the pin missing? What I mean is that it seems to lock just fine w/o that piece even in there.
Well yeah, that plunger by the extractor doesn't do all that much to lock the cylinder in place anyways, but I'd defenitely get it fixed. Wonder if you could just swedge that pin yourself? Did it fall out becasue it's an undersized roll pin?
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 16:04   #8
FL2NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Well yeah, that plunger by the extractor doesn't do all that much to lock the cylinder in place anyways, but I'd defenitely get it fixed. Wonder if you could just swedge that pin yourself? Did it fall out becasue it's an undersized roll pin?
I don't know, can't find the pin. When I bought it, I played with it a little bit (unloaded of course) then stuck it in my safe till I had a chance to go qualify with it for my CCW. Took it out of the safe, put 30 rounds through it at the range, came home, back in the safe. I just now only took it out when my pocket holster for it came. That is when the silver piece fell out. I looked all over and could not find the pin, but that could have fell out at the range. What sucks to is that my new permit authorizing revolvers came the same day as my holster..

And when the awesome state of Nevada passes SB231, campus carry, it will more than likely be my "school carry gun"...I figure my past year of master's classes would be pretty cool being able to carry.

Last edited by FL2NV; 03-27-2011 at 16:06..
Old 03-27-2011, 16:25   #9
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
The piece that's shown in your photograph. Once that drops out and ends up in the grass and you can't find it, the gun is pretty worthless. The piece you have already lost stops that from happening.
Old 03-27-2011, 16:30   #10
FL2NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJn View Post
The piece that's shown in your photograph. Once that drops out and ends up in the grass and you can't find it, the gun is pretty worthless. The piece you have already lost stops that from happening.
What do you mean "worthless"? I emailed S&W, hopefully they send me one.
Old 03-27-2011, 18:50   #11
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
What do you mean "worthless"? I emailed S&W, hopefully they send me one.
Call again when you lose it.
Old 03-28-2011, 16:57   #12
FL2NV

Place a call into S&W today, and they will have a new pin out to me in 7-10 days. Thanks everyone.