Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2011, 17:23   #61
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK Z View Post
What do you see as the min staffing needed to have say five guys on at once?
If you are asking about having a minimum of 5 guys on the street, then you would need 5 guys in each shift (or 30 officers total).

Most of the day would be covered by only one shift at a time. There would only be overlap 6 hours each day....

First being 6a-7a (1 hour), with the day shift starting at 6a and the night shift getting off at 7a. This hour of overlap would actually be more about transitioning between shifts and also day shift officers to take over for night shift officer on some calls.

Second being 3p-4p (1 hour), with the evening shift officers starting at 3p and day shift getting off at 4p. Once again this hour is more transitioning....

The third overlap, 9p-7a, would be the longest (4 hours), because that would most likely be the busiest time.

Of course the schedule could be set up so there is a 2 hour overlap for each shift.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 21:29   #62
ateamer
NRA4EVR

We are on 4-10s. Two patrol teams, A and B (guess which one I am from). A team works Wednesday through Saturday, with the first Wednesday of each month off as a paid holiday. The second Wednesday is A-team's training day. B-team works Sunday through Wednesday, with the third Wednesday for their holiday and the fourth Wednesday for training. In months when there is a fifth Wednesday, the entire SWAT and bomb teams train (they have frequent training, but it's often less than the full team) and patrol is combined of the leftovers. Otherwise, there are no days when both teams work.

Shifts are:
Days - 0630-1630
Early swing - 1230-2230
Swing - 1530-0130
Grave - 2130-0730

We generally run about eight on days, two on earlies, seven or eight on swings and seven on graves, when staffing is doing well. If we had the bucks to run full staffing, it would be more like 10, 5, 10 and 8.

We have shift change every January and July. Shifts are picked by seniority with a limit of one year on a shift (early and late swings both count as swings for shift pick). Exceptions are for K-9, which always works late swings, and FTOs. We don't have FTOs on graves, and sometimes FTOs can stay on a shift for more than two rotations if everything works out to allow that.

Each team is commanded by a lieutenant, and each shift is led by a sergeant. It's up to the sergeants how beats are assigned. Most do it by seniority.

We have looked at going to 12s on the Pittman schedule before, but it was put to a vote of the deputies and the majority said no. A number of guys with kids had concerns about arranging child care with having rotating days off, and others were concerned that with calls at the end of the shift and paperwork, 12s would turn into 14s pretty quickly. For FTOs, 10s pretty routinely become 12 to 14, so FTOs and trainees working 16+ hours on a scheduled 12 would be commonplace. Bad idea.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 22:44   #63
SpoiledBySig

I sure would love having 4 days on and 4 days off. The days off rotate every week for everybody, which is fair.

My son's police dept. has that schedule and everybody there loves it. He told me that when you go on vacation for 4 days, you actually get 12 straight days off...I'd love a schedule like that!

At our (University) Police dept. we offer 4 Ten hour days and then 3 days off, for the afternoon and midnight shifts. For our day shift, it's 5 eight hour days per week (too many day shift deadbeats crying about family hardships, they'd actually get more time with their families by having 3 days off, instead of 2 days off).
Old 04-03-2011, 15:02   #64
DonGlock26

We are trying it, and we are busy. I think a majority hates them, and hopefully we go back to 8's.
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57   #65
LC Deputy

I have worked 12 hour shifts for the last 6 years and I love it. It seems to me like I have more time off on my days off. We work either a 5a to 5p shift or 5p to 5a shift. More guys on nights then days so that helps with the call volume. Again we are also slower in the winter months and pick up in the summer. I know the day shift has a harder time getting reports done but we dont have computers in the car like most departments do so we have to be at the station to write. Our schedule would go like this, work Monday & Tuesday, off Wednesday & Thursday, work Friday, Saturday & Sunday, then off Monday & Tuesday, work Wednesday & Thursday, and off Friday, Saturday & Sunday. It is nice to get every other weekend off and actually fell like you are getting some time off.
Kel-Tec PAT3
LC Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 17:07   #66
BLACK Z

I am still on the fence about this.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 14:27   #67
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
We work 12's on the Pittman and I love the schedule but our rotation sucks. We rotate days to nights every set of days. I don't care to work days and I don't care to work night but I hate working both in the same week every week. Your body never gets adjusted and doesn't know whether your supposed to be asleep or awake. Hopefully it will get changed some day. Personally I would prefer rotating every two weeks.
you my fine fellow work for a moron.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 15:00   #68
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

we are on 12's, every other (3 day) weekend off, rotate every 3 months days to nights.

the problem is we only have two men on shift when four is usually required for all the special watches, special details, and other touchy feely stuff they want AND keep your arrest numbers up.

we loose our valuable days off often because when one man calls in sick or goes to training or wants vacation there is no coverage other than one man, so the off shift looses out often.

we also have to "do ti all", patrol, investigate, run the city jail, veh. mtnc, do admin stuff.....that makes 12's suck ass bad, burn out is common and brass getting on you about low productivity adds to the disenchantment.....8's would be a relief for the guys on day shift only, but afternoon shift would never see their families, and days off would be far and few between.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 16:52   #69
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
you my fine fellow work for a moron.
Think that's bad, you should try changing shifts every day... Absolutely insane!
Old 04-08-2011, 17:12   #70
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

We work 12s, 4 days on 4 days off. You rotate through weekends off every once in a while and you work as a team so I have come to like it pretty well. I have worked 8 hour shifts, 10 hour shifts, and this seems to be as good as any of the rest, maybe even better because of the long days off. We also have unlimited overtime for interstate patrol traffic safety programs, so you can pick up extra money on your days off with no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 17:26   #71
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
We work 12's on the Pittman and I love the schedule but our rotation sucks. We rotate days to nights every set of days. I don't care to work days and I don't care to work night but I hate working both in the same week every week. Your body never gets adjusted and doesn't know whether your supposed to be asleep or awake. Hopefully it will get changed some day. Personally I would prefer rotating every two weeks.
Ouch!

We work 12s and rotate days to nights (and visa versa) every 14 days. That works out to an approximate "month" of days or nights. This is fine with me; I can do most of my follow-ups on days and get any of my particularly heavy paperwork done on nights. Plus, the actual day of the switch is on the Monday after a weekend off so that we get the whole weekend to adjust for the upcoming sleep schedule change.

Panzergrenadier1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 18:27   #72
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
Think that's bad, you should try changing shifts every day... Absolutely insane!
When we worked eights we used to have a guy that had to do a day shift, two evenings, and two late nights in a five day work week. That sucked.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50   #73
BLACK Z

The vote passed, not by much but it did. Now we have to figure out hours and if there will be any over lapping shifts.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:15   #74
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
When we worked eights we used to have a guy that had to do a day shift, two evenings, and two late nights in a five day work week. That sucked.
I believe that the PA State Police do something similar with their schedules. They don't have a take home car program, but troopers who get scheduled to begin a shift 8 hours after their previous shift ended are allowed to take their car home on that particular day.

Perhaps a PSP Trooper can confirm this?

Panzergrenadier1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48   #75
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
That sort of schedule sucked bad enough as it is, but when you mix in being stuck late at EOW and court its all but in tolerable.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30   #76
CarloTwoGuns

We run 4 10's

Days off

SMT , TWT , TFS , SSM

Day shift 0700-1700
Afternoons 1500-0100
Midnights 2200-0800

I enjoy it.
Work mids, all my court is OT .
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48   #77
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I like working nights, but I don't like watching the sun come up, that working till 8 in the morning would kill me. Guess I have turned vampire.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:51   #78
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
I like working nights, but I don't like watching the sun come up, that working till 8 in the morning would kill me. Guess I have turned vampire.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like that. There is just something wrong about going to work when the sun is still up, watching it set and then watching it rise again...
Old 04-19-2011, 23:00   #79
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

That's one of the things I like about my 1700-0500 schedule...I usually get home before it's light out. Push it a bit in the summer, but it at least "feels" like it's still night time when I go to bed.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:08   #80
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

the only thing I don't like about nights 1700 to 0500 is.........

When I work days I have to get up a like 0400 to get ready for work, and that sucks the big one.