Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25   #81
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
the only thing I don't like about nights 1700 to 0500 is.........

When I work days I have to get up a like 0400 to get ready for work, and that sucks the big one.
My biggest pet peeve is 0900 court. All of our traffic court is at 0900. It's not enough time to go to sleep and too long to stay up.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32   #82
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
My biggest pet peeve is 0900 court. All of our traffic court is at 0900. It's not enough time to go to sleep and too long to stay up.
You got a good point there. I always get scheduled for morning court.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 23:56   #83
CarloTwoGuns

People always ask us why us Midnight guys have the darkest sunglasses .

Sun = The enemy
Old 11-24-2011, 15:37   #84
BLACK Z

Well we have been on them for a little over 5 Months, We had a six Month Trial period, When we voted the first time it passed by only 1 vote, we are we voting again and I am pretty sure it will pass by a lot more.

I was for them ( I hate change ) but I do like them now, The bosses want to do another 6 Month trial period so we arent on them for good yet.

We work 8 to 8 and the SRO's and Det along with some Brass are still on 8's.

Figured I d give you guys a update.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 15:53   #85
Doc8404
Master Chief

i haven't read the rest of the posts....but will tell you that studies show that beyond 10 hours, most people are functioning like a drunk....read a lot about that when i was finishing my healthcare degree. and I must say, having important employees like healthcare workers or cops working past ten hours, it's a BAD idea.

Old 11-24-2011, 16:10   #86
BLACK Z

Ten Hours is the shifts Id want.

I know when I work nights which is every Five weeks we change, I get up on the first day I have to work at about 7 or 8 am I go to work at 8 PM, I come home at about 9 AM go to sleep around 10 am and I get back up about 2 or 3 PM. When I get off in am and am on RDO I get off at 8 AM And I stay up in till about 9 Pm So I have been up 30 Plus Hrs.

It can be rough at times.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 16:26   #87
G33Fla

four 10 hr days here, 3 day weekends!
G33Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 16:46   #88
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
I like our schedule, granted it's geared towards inside the fence. Each post for each shift has assigned days off. You bid on the post every quarter; assignments are based on seniority. We also have what we call "sick and annual" as a post assignment, which is what I'm on right now. They basically swing to cover whatever needs covered. You also bid on what's open weekly on that post, again assignments based on seniority. I've been able, as the 3rd lowest guy on the sick and annual roster, to stay on days or evenings, and still keep a decent schedule. I get weekends off every few weeks, and I'm okay with it. Granted, I'm a single guy with no kids, but still.

Is there a way to adapt that to a patrol-type format? I don't know. There probably is, but it would take some figuring out.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 16:53   #89
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Whatever shift keeps me away from work for the longest uninterrupted period is nice. I would be one unhappy motherscratcher if we went to 8s.

MF
Old 11-24-2011, 21:11   #90
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

We have 10 hr shifts and I love em. Same 3 days off every week, makes planning stuff real easy and the week goes fast.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by SCSU74; 11-24-2011 at 21:11..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:31   #91
copenhagen2001

We work 12s here at the jail 1900 hours Muster - 0721 hours
Mon Tues
Wen Thur - off
Fri Sat Sun
Mon Tues - off
Wen Thur
Fri Sat Sun -off
I like this shift the best, Plus I work straight nights, I dont have to deal with all the brass. I cant stand Day Shift.
Taurus 737
Ruger 22 / 45 Mark III

Last edited by copenhagen2001; 11-25-2011 at 01:31..
copenhagen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:33   #92
BULLRUNN
Double Tap

Johnneyreb Norfolk Police Dept runs the Booking and the jail is run by the Sheriff's office the booking and jail are on 12' every other week end off Fri Sat Sun 28 day cycle Pittman schedule. THEY LOVE IT.. contact Norfolk Police Dept Booking unit.
BULLRUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:06   #93
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
My department does the "Pittman" or "modified DuPont" or whatever one wants to call it locally. At any rate, its On M,T; Off W, Th; On F, S, Su; Off M,T; On W, Th; Off F, S, Su. We work 7-7 and rotate between days and nights every two weeks.

Basically, I hate it. Yes, the days off are nice, but night shift working is especially bad. I have small children, and even before I did, my ability to sleep during the day wasn't very good. Add in the rotation every two weeks, and I end up working night shift with 4 or 5 hours of sleep a "night". Then, of course, the DA's office always seems to want to subpoena us when we are in the middle of night shift despite the fact that they have our schedules and are supposed to be mindful of it. We all know that their defense attorney golf buddies schedules' are more important to them, no matter what they say.

The schedule would be a lot better if it was day shift only (or I suppose even night shift only, at least then I could get used to it). I would much rather work tens or nines with more days in a row, but less hours per day. My first job in LE I worked 6 on 3 off; 6 on 3 off; 6 on 4 off, nine hour shifts, with no shift rotation. I worked evening shift (1530-0030) for almost six years straight and I loved it.

I live four miles from the PD, so I don't even have to deal with a commute back and forth to work. It is worse for the guys that don't live in or near the city. I would do a lot more work if I got more rest. On 12s I pretty much feel like crap all the time, but it is worse on night shift. Of course the command staff, who work all days (and often don't show up on Fridays) have every weekend off and get to sleep at night. They don't want to change the patrol schedule.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 13:29   #94
Milltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
I love them. If you wisely use your leave time you can take a ton of 7 day stretches off. I always schedule any time off on the "short week" so I only need to use 24 hours to be off 7 days.
All 12 hour shifts:

At my new facility they work M T F S S and then have off W Th. The next week you work W Th and have M T F S S off.

So to get a 7 days off you only have to take off 2 days, or find someone willing to swap with you.
Milltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 18:38   #95
efman

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen2001 View Post
We work 12s here at the jail 1900 hours Muster - 0721 hours
Mon Tues
Wen Thur - off
Fri Sat Sun
Mon Tues - off
Wen Thur
Fri Sat Sun -off
I like this shift the best, Plus I work straight nights, I dont have to deal with all the brass. I cant stand Day Shift.
this what we do, I like it for the most part. the only thing I don't like is if i have to cover for someone on the opposite shift. working 4 or 5 days straight on 12 hour shifts and only having a day off before going back to my long week can be alittle rough.
Old 11-25-2011, 20:36   #96
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
12hr day shift 6a-6p not so bad
12hr night shift 6p-6a get the front out

I went to too many high speed calls at 4am-5am balls hangin out tired and realized that if SHTF I was more likely to take a nap than be combat effective. Never will again, and I talk mad shart about them at contract and department meetings because I KNOW every guy that I worked 12hr night with only coped because they had a sleep spot. Morons.

EDIT to add:

Testifying at 9 or 10AM after getting off at 0600 was awful, and writing long winded, frequent flier, alkie, DUI reports was ridiculous. Proofreading was out of the question.

Last edited by RetailNinja; 11-25-2011 at 20:39..
RetailNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:05   #97
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailNinja View Post
EDIT to add:

Testifying at 9 or 10AM after getting off at 0600 was awful, and writing long winded, frequent flier, alkie, DUI reports was ridiculous. Proofreading was out of the question.
Good point, morning court after an all nights does suck pretty hard.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26   #98
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
Good point, morning court after an all nights does suck pretty hard.
That was killer at my last department with our step down schedule. Sometimes you'd get off at 0800, have court, at 0900 or whenever, then have to be back for an evening shift at 1600...
Old 11-27-2011, 17:46   #99
fpgeek

Don't like them

I worked 12 hour shift when I was a deputy for an unnamed Michigan sheriff's office. Hated them. Sleep disruption and deprivation was awful and if you had something hot at the end of shift, you were screwed. Same thing if you lived any distance from the Jail and had bad weather. On a work day the only thing you had time for was work and going home. Forget any errands. The only people that liked them were the administrators since they could hire fewer people for the same number of posts and cars. If you worked nights you were off at 0600 and back at court for 0900-1200 or later, then back on shift again at 1800.

Our schedule was 3 days during week one, and 3 days plus an 8 hour day on week 2.

Last edited by fpgeek; 11-27-2011 at 17:51..
fpgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:07   #100
ArmaGlock
Glock Armorer

We (Patrol) work 11.42 hour shifts (11 hours, 25 minutes), 4 on, 5 off, 5 on, 4 off, 5 on, 5 off, start over. Patrol is split into two color squads, 6 watches on each side (See hours below). I like it and so do most other guys. Shifts don't seem that long and the days off are great!

Watch 1: 0515-1640
Watch 2: 0700-1825
Watch 3: 0900-2025
Watch 4: 1330-0055
Watch 5: 1530-0255
Watch 6: 1830-0555 (my shift, love it)

Some zones vary these hours by a half hour or so.
-Florida Glockers/1911 Club/Black Rifle/Tactical Shotgun #491/G1 Niners #140

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." Edmund Burke
ArmaGlock is offline   Reply With Quote