Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2011, 19:55   #1
canoesmith

New to me today (and almost new) Colt Series 80 Lightweight Officer

Let me know what you think - did I pay too much? What do you think of the officer format - and this officer? Thanks in advance for your input.

I sold my Colt New Agent a couple of weeks ago, I just couldn't get used to the trench sights and had a few reliability issues. Looked around for a couple of weeks, thought about a Wilson Ultralight Compact Carry but the $3500 just is too large to swallow. I found this in Prescott AZ about an hour drive to meet. I have already put a 100 rounds through it and I love it.

Accurate, fun to shoot - everything the New Agent wasn't for me. Lightweight (24 oz unloaded) and it digested ball and 230g xtp hollowpoints with no difficulties. It has a Clarke plug and Wolff single spring, wilson bushing VZ slim micarta grips and smooth VZ aluminum mainspring housing.

Looks like it has barely been fired and seldom carried. I paid $700 private party. I am happy.....

Can you help me date this one please. Serial Number: LFA87XX Thank you.

Last edited by canoesmith; 02-22-2012 at 17:54..
canoesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 19:58   #2
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoesmith View Post
Let me know what you think - did I pay too much? What do you think of the officer format - and this officer? Thanks in advance for your input.

I sold my Colt New Agent a couple of weeks ago, I just couldn't get used to the trench sights and had a few reliability issues. Looked around for a couple of weeks, thought about a Wilson Ultralight Compact Carry but the $3500 just is too large to swallow. I found this in Prescott AZ about an hour drive to meet. I have already put a 100 rounds through it and I love it.

Accurate, fun to shoot - everything the New Agent wasn't for me. Lightweight (24 oz unloaded) and it digested ball and 230g xtp hollowpoints with no difficulties. It has a Clarke plug and Wolff single spring, wilson bushing VZ slim micarta grips and smooth VZ aluminum mainspring housing.

Looks like it has barely been fired and seldom carried. I paid $700 private party. I am happy.....

I think it looks great as far as price goes. If your happy with the price you got it for then it was a awesome price.
Old 03-27-2011, 20:32   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:

Congrats! I like it. And BTW, you can get a better deal on the Wilson ULCc than that. I LOVE mine.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Last edited by glock2740; 03-27-2011 at 20:35..
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 20:39   #4
canoesmith

Stop that stop it stop it - stop showing me the UCc

I talked to Wilson, they told me their pricing (full retail) would be the same as the dealer. Not true? I wanted flat spring, crowned barrel, extra dehorn, front tritium - $3450 if I remember right. It is the dream though...
Old 03-27-2011, 22:36   #5
Sarge43

I really like the business end on that pistol! I'd pay $700 for it, so sounds okay to me. Congrats and thanks for the pics!
Sarge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sarge43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 23:12   #6
up1911fan

I think you did good.
up1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 23:17   #7
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by up1911fan View Post
I think you did good.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:20   #8
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

You did good. Saving $2,500-$2,800 is always a plus..assuming it's reliable as I'm sure it will be.

With so many quality makers now I'm becoming more and more "Wilson price point" unfriendly. (no offense 2740, nice pistol)

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:27   #9
Scamp
Geaux Tigers!

Very nice for $700.
Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:49   #10
stumpjumper

Great looking pistol-I bet it even shoots better than it looks.
stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 19:33   #11
Sunset_Va

The "old school" Officers models, especially the LWT models are not found often. I prefer them to the Defender,New Agent.

The LWT you purchased is even harder to come by, by the pictures it looks to be in excellent condition, so my opinion is anywhere in the $600-$700 range.

I owned one in the early 90's , sold it to a friend who still owns it. I had the frame hard chromed for durability, and to help avoid feed ramp damage.

Do consider purchasing some Wilson mags for your Compact, they prevent most of the damage done to the feed ramp caused by JHPs.

And also some of the standard magazine followers will gouge the feed ramp.

Just some advice , things I learned to be true.

Enjoy your pistol and carry Condition One.
Sunset_Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 19:45   #12
canoesmith

Thanks Sunset

I agree, I have 3 Wilson 8 rounders that I kept from my New Agent that I will use. I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-28-2011, 19:56   #13
JRB75

Quote:
I talked to Wilson, they told me their pricing (full retail) would be the same as the dealer. Not true? I wanted flat spring, crowned barrel, extra dehorn, front tritium - $3450 if I remember right. It is the dream though...
You won't pay MSRP going thru a master dealer. I was able to get my last Wilson for around $500 less then MSRP by going thru George. Plus he has a layaway plan if you need or want to use it. Now only if Wilson would get the pistol finished I could post some pics.. Going on week 19 of the wait...... Nice pistol by the way..

Last edited by JRB75; 03-28-2011 at 19:58..
JRB75 is offline   Reply With Quote