SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2011, 20:33   #1
Vatithedefender

glock 30 striking light

Gentlemen, and ladies,;
Went to a training class last weekend and ran into a new problem with my Glock 30. Actually the fist problem it has ever had of any kind. Seven rounds out of 350 fired struck the primer but failed to discharge the round. Strike was slightly off center but not much. Bought the gun used but have had it for several years with no problems at all. My guess is that it would have had about 3000 rounds through it. Took it apart, removed striker, it was a little dirty, cleaned it, put it back dry. It sounds like the striker is moving freely. Did not seem to make a difference.
replaced the striker spring, did not seem to make a difference. with hindsight i am wondering if it was failing to go completely into battery. i did not think to check the problem while on the range, simply tapped, racked and went on. Did not attempt to refire any of the rounds but i think they will fire. Modifications to the gun are new sights, extended slide release, extended mag release and extended take down lever. all of them since my previous big range day. The only one of those i can imagine causing a problem might be the extended slide release.

any insight would be appreciated.
Vatithedefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 22:59   #2
mteagle1

With the slide removed, depress the firing pin safety and shake the slide and the striker should rattle. Off center firing pin marks are usually a sign the gun is firing out of battery. With an empty gun (PC disclaimer) pull the trigger, point the muzzle straight up, pull back the slide and slowly let it close, should close all the way. Release trigger and pull, barrel should not drop out of battery. If not replace recoil spring.

I am not a fan of the extended slide release because I have pushed it up during recoil (shoot high thumbs). Unless you are disassembling the gun frequently then the extended takedown lever can chew up the weak hand thumb during recoil (been there down that & went back to factory). And I have known to disassemble the gun half a dozen times a day trying a different polish on the connector or trigger bar or a different recoil spring or guide rod.
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:24   #3
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Check the firing pin safety. See if there are any marks on it. My G30 would occasionally misfire with Winchester ammo. Turns out my striker was just skipping off the firing pin safety. I replaced my trigger bar with a -1 (for a G21 since I wanted a smooth trigger anyway) and added a Wolf extra power striker spring. Haven't had a misfire since.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 13:55   #4
RS7

Double post.

Last edited by RS7; 03-29-2011 at 14:01..
RS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 14:00   #5
RS7

Check for crud at the front of the firing pin channel. It can build up over time. Especially if lube was used in the channel in the past (previous owner).
RS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 14:00   #6
jdcaples

Don't be shy about buying some snap caps to see if your changes make a difference on the bench, rather than waiting for range time.

G19 - 3rd Gen - Factory Test Fired 19 June 2008
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 17:19   #7
cciman

You conveniently left out the ammo variety. Could be hard primers.

I've had problems with surplus military ammo in the past with light primer strikes, and hard primers. poor ammo= poor reliability
Some ammo is not good for Glock, better with a hammer struck firing pin. These same ammo worked better in my other guns.

My suggestions:
Use fair to good quality ammo
Replace striker spring with a Wolf Xtra power spring for good measure.

off center dimples mean nothing, unless they are extremely off center. Not all firing pins will put the dimple in the exact center.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 19:45   #8
CTGlock79

Any crud on the outside of the barrel which would cause the Glock to fire slightly out of battery?

Last edited by CTGlock79; 03-29-2011 at 19:45..
CTGlock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:25   #9
Vatithedefender

Thanks for the quick and i suspect helpful responses.

I did leave out ammo, all hard ball at least three probably four different types, including blaser, remington, and pmc. doubt that was the problem.

will check again for crud on striker. striker moved freely and rattled at field strip level. been thinking of going back stock on slide release. was just being lazy wanting to slap it closed rather than doing it right with full rack.

am suspecting that it may have been a bit out of battery, will replace recoil spring if one more cleaning don't help.
Vatithedefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:29   #10
CTGlock79

Make sure you get the groove just beneath the front part of the barrel hood. Some crud in there can cause a slight OOB.

Please let us know the outcome.
Old 03-30-2011, 18:25   #11
cciman

Problem was not there prior to your class?
Check your combat grip too.

If you are gripping the gun high under performance stress, your thumb(s) might be riding or contacting the slide on recoil, and inducing failure.

Yes i agree to get rid of the extended release.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 19:23   #12
CTGlock79

Another thought: you mentioned that you replaced the slide lock. Are you sure you used the correct replacement slide lock? The little ridge on the slide lock that secures the barrel, the piece that needs to be "up and to the rear", if that is installed incorrectly or is the wrong piece it can cause problems, one of which is not sloping the gun to go into full battery.