Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-30-2011, 13:34   #1
wrx04

First range trip with the SRP...

I managed to get my SRP commanche to the range for the first time today. It was a pretty quick trip, since i had an appointment i needed to make, but i was able to send 200 rounds through it. The ammo i used was WWB, Rem mega pack, and some mild and hot reloads.

First things first....i shot it like crap! Im not sure why. It could have been one of many factors.....not used to the shorter barrel, different sights, short trigger, standard grips, or maybe i was a little excited and my trigger control was off

The gun definitely feels different than the trojan that ive been shooting for the past 6 months. I pulled out the STI and ran a mag through it to make sure it wasnt me, and i ended up with one ragged hole at 7 yards. The SRP seemed to be shooting a little high for some reason. I am gonna go back to the range tonight and shoot another 300 through it to see if i can get it straightened out.

Functionally, the gun did OK. I did have two FTE's (stovepipes)....wasnt paying attention what ammo it was with though. The other thing was it shot the brass straight back into my face a couple times. My STI never has done that before, so i will have to see if that problem persists. Also, the gun does NOT slingshot. The slidestop BARELY catches it. Its so close that i bet a slight polish of the slidestop would do the trick. Its too bad they dont make them to have the proper amount of slide travel.....just a little bit more travel would completely eliminate this.

I just put thin grips on the gun, so we'll see if that makes it feel a little more like what im used to shooting. I will update again after i get back from my 2nd trip to the range tonight. That should give about 500 through it. Im gonna try to put another 500 through it tomorrow as well. Im curious to see if there is a pattern with the FTE's.

Here are a few pics before and after the range, and one with the new esmeralda thin grips.

[IMG]1911 Forums

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG]1911 Forums

[IMG]1911 Forums

wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 13:45   #2
glock2740
Gun lover.

Congrats! Good looking gun.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 13:49   #3
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Congrats! Good looking gun.
Thank you sir.
Old 03-30-2011, 13:52   #4
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
I managed to get my SRP commanche to the range for the first time today. It was a pretty quick trip, since i had an appointment i needed to make, but i was able to send 200 rounds through it. The ammo i used was WWB, Rem mega pack, and some mild and hot reloads.

First things first....i shot it like crap! Im not sure why. It could have been one of many factors.....not used to the shorter barrel, different sights, short trigger, standard grips, or maybe i was a little excited and my trigger control was off

The gun definitely feels different than the trojan that ive been shooting for the past 6 months. I pulled out the STI and ran a mag through it to make sure it wasnt me, and i ended up with one ragged hole at 7 yards. The SRP seemed to be shooting a little high for some reason. I am gonna go back to the range tonight and shoot another 300 through it to see if i can get it straightened out.

Functionally, the gun did OK. I did have two FTE's (stovepipes)....wasnt paying attention what ammo it was with though. The other thing was it shot the brass straight back into my face a couple times. My STI never has done that before, so i will have to see if that problem persists. Also, the gun does NOT slingshot. The slidestop BARELY catches it. Its so close that i bet a slight polish of the slidestop would do the trick. Its too bad they dont make them to have the proper amount of slide travel.....just a little bit more travel would completely eliminate this.

I just put thin grips on the gun, so we'll see if that makes it feel a little more like what im used to shooting. I will update again after i get back from my 2nd trip to the range tonight. That should give about 500 through it. Im gonna try to put another 500 through it tomorrow as well. Im curious to see if there is a pattern with the FTE's.

Here are a few pics before and after the range, and one with the new esmeralda thin grips.

[IMG]1911 Forums

[IMG]1911 Forums

[IMG]1911 Forums

because it needs a flat trigger
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 13:53   #5
BlayGlock

Very nice sir!
BlayGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:03   #6
bac1023

Looks great.

I love the SRP.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:03   #7
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
because it needs a flat trigger
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:21   #8
atl-g33
Lifetime Membership

Nice looking SRP you got there.
GA Club #1327
Sub Club #1327
TOP GUNS 357SIG Club #1327
atl-g33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:30   #9
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

What mags are you using? It sure does look good

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

shop.harrisoncustom.com
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:48   #10
carguy2244

No slingshot, multiple FTFs, inaccurate, and bad ejections...

Sign me up.
carguy2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 14:54   #11
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
What mags are you using? It sure does look good
Using a bunch of different ones. Wilson, CMC, Kimber, ATC, and Baer. I have 17 mags.....i know for a fact the kimber ones cause trouble. Always have a FTFeed with my Trojan on the last round
Old 03-30-2011, 14:59   #12
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post

Sign me up.
Not sure where you got multiple FTF's, and i am 100% sure its not the gun that is inaccurate.

The ejections may or may not be a problem. The slingshot thing is there and isnt going away....it is what it is.
Old 03-30-2011, 15:20   #13
carguy2244

Quote:
Not sure where you got multiple FTF's, and i am 100% sure its not the gun that is inaccurate.

The ejections may or may not be a problem. The slingshot thing is there and isnt going away....it is what it is.
FTEs...my bad.
carguy2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 15:25   #14
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Quote:

Functionally, the gun did OK. I did have two FTE's
Quote:

Sign me up.
Quote:
FTEs...my bad.
Two is not multiple. Try to read a little slower or quit skimming.

shop.harrisoncustom.com
Old 03-30-2011, 15:32   #15
quantico
1911 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
Two is not multiple. Try to read a little slower or quit skimming.
Actually multiple starts with two. I e more than one .
Old 03-30-2011, 15:41   #16
quantico
1911 lover

I would not make a lot of judgements based on the limited use. I dont own a baer but the starting tight thing is part of getting one. Clean , shoot , clean and lube and see what smoothes out. I had a springfield longslide that started out with issues , but settled in and has been perfect with zero failures of any kind for the last ten plus years. I hope things get goimg for you soon. Baer is a pro , he stands behind his guns.
Old 03-30-2011, 15:57   #17
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Man, that's a lot of variables (mags, ammo). Hope you get it figured out. That's a sweet pistola.
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 16:03   #18
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantico View Post
Actually multiple starts with two. I e more than one .
Thanks Webster, you are correct. We call it a couple or two where I'm from..

In any case, I agree keep shooting. Two FTE out of the first 500 rounds of a new Baer, no surprise and it should work itself out. A slingshot guarantee would be sweet

shop.harrisoncustom.com
Old 03-30-2011, 16:13   #19
GJ1981
Pitying Fools

It sure sucks having a high $ 1911 with issues off the bat, trust me, I know all too well lately.

Hopefully everything works out for you.
GJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 16:24   #20
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:

haven't we been through this before? Baer's are not "designed" to slingshot, so you are SOL on that unless you send it to a smith to cut the frame rails down to the proper dimension.
Old 03-30-2011, 17:52   #21
wrx04

Quack, i know its not "supposed" to slingshot.....ive heard some guys say their commanche did.

I just ran another 250 through it (right around 500 for the day). Its dirty as hell but i kept it lubed up good. It had two more FTE's this range trip too. Didnt have any brass shoot back at my face this time though. I used all factory remington mega-pack ammo this time.

I started to get a feel for the gun and my groups improved this outing, although i would pull a couple shots every once in a while. I definitely HATE the three dot night sights.....the rear ones are very distracting.

I am hoping to put another 500 through it tomorrow. I will let the FTE's slide for now, and chalk it up to "break-in", but if they keep happening tomorrow, that might not be a good sign.

Do you guys shoot one gun (5" vs 4.25") better than the other, or are you pretty consisten with both sizes?
Old 03-30-2011, 17:56   #22
Quack
Rent this space

some did and your's doesn't

i shoot them (5" vs. 4.25") pretty much the same.
Old 03-30-2011, 18:11   #23
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
some did and your's doesn't

i shoot them (5" vs. 4.25") pretty much the same.
Haha. Yeah that kinda sucks, but even the ones that do still have the jacked up dimensions. I'm pretty sure a smith could make mine slingshot very easily just by polishing the slide stop, but its the decreased slide travel that is the underlying issue. This has me thinking.....what if the decreased slide travel isnt giving quite enough time for the case to clear the slide causing the fte's. Hmmm.

I'm gonna keep shooting this one and we'll see if it works itself out. I really like the gun, and hope the reliability gets to where it should be (perfect). Time will tell.
Old 03-30-2011, 18:13   #24
Quack
Rent this space

~$150 and a trip to a smith will fix it for you.
Old 03-30-2011, 18:17   #25
wrx04

I may go that route if the issues continue....hell, i may do it regardless. I think it was severns that said he's done it many times and its a pretty easy fix.