Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:08   #1
coyote_bait

Emp

Over the past few years I've been hearing more and more about EMP's. I've read up on them quite a bit. Info and sources can be a little.....sketchy. How likely is an EMP attack and what are the likely effects? I've heard that the likely effects could be anything from a power outage to the USA being plunged back to the stone ages.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43   #2
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

Yes--reliable info is indeed sketchy and theoretical ... at least in the public domain.

Certainly the Electro Magnetic Pulse effect is genuine and proven at some varying levels. Public knowledge of this goes back 50 years or more. Nuclear and non-nuclear devices can be used to achieve EMP/HEMP damage to infrastructure and modern electrical/electronic gear.

Severe geomagnetic storms from space also can result in similar effects here on earth in our communications and electrical networks.

I don't have definitive answers for you on the bottom line risk involved. I think the best most of us can do is to be aware of the possibility that our grid can be taken down by man or by nature--temporarily or perhaps for a good long while--locally or in a catastrophic widespread event. And then to prepare to whatever degree we feel compelled.

How do you prepare? Well, the oft-talked-about Faraday Cage is one small thing most anyone can use (something as simple as a well fitted steel garbage can with lid) to try to protect smaller devices and spare parts that would be vulnerable.

And of course there is the school of thought that we should be ready to revert to a pre-industrial existence ... a way of life with little in the way of modern electrical conveniences.

Safecastle Royal Buyers Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Refuge blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Win a Case of MH Food - LIKE us on Facebook
JC Refuge is offline   Reply With Quote