Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-31-2011, 18:10   #1
Colorado4Wheel

Loaded 800 rds on a 1050 today.

Well now that the LnL is on its way back to Mother Hornady I needed to make some ammo. Lizard was kind enough to rework his press so that I could load my lead loads on his press. His setup is very custom. Custom Powder Measure, Redding Pro Seating die. The works. Might as well just say it. 1050's are pretty awesome. Not pushing to prime is very nice. The entire machine is much easier to use then the other machines because you exert no energy pushing to prime. For high volume this is a big deal. Shorter runs it wouldn't matter. Indexing is very nice because you can control the speed of the indexing by how fast you push the handle at the very end of the upward stroke. Besides that I made a huge boo boo loading about 200 rds using his FCD without even knowing it. I will shoot them. Last time I check this bullet/oal combo with my FCD it was sizing my bullets. But now I have 200 rds I have to shoot so I will know the result soon enough. I need to size 500 more bullets and I will have 1500 rds loaded which lately will last me a little while. Even without the need for swaging the press is worth it if you really do want the nicest press you can get. Wish I could afford it.
Old 03-31-2011, 18:16   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Since when does 800 plus 500 equal 1500? Is that more of that flatlander math?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 18:26   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

I noticed that number inconsistency also.

Hey Steve... I thought you had gotten your priming problem fixed with the new shellplate. I guess I missed something, why are you having to ship it back to Hornady ?

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 18:32   #4
Colorado4Wheel

Sized about 1K, Loaded 800 of those, Need to size another 500. Load the remaining will be about 1500 rounds. Geez.

I was still getting tipping cases from the case feeder. Figured out it's not me but the damn machine. Primer is catching as it goes over the spring. Primers are very hard to seat as well. It's just a PITA and I am sick of it.
Old 03-31-2011, 19:07   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

Regarding bullet sizing, C.E. Ed Harris has written about using unsized bullets and then using a FCD to ensure the loaded rounds chamber. This was in an article he wrote about 32ACP. You could try it on Lizard's setup while your trying new things.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 19:12   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Reloading

Thats my load just seating in a FCD. 147 gr, .357 sizer, 1.080 OAL. It barely goes into the FCD at all.

Reloading

Thats a 124 gr MG, 9mm bullet, 1.130 OAL. It nearly falls into the die all the way with out resistance.

I will shoot them but I am not holding out much hope they will work that well.
Old 03-31-2011, 23:14   #7
XDRoX

I'm interested in a 1050 as well. How many stations does it have? If it has more than 5, why so many? What do you do with the extra stations?
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 23:36   #8
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
I'm interested in a 1050 as well. How many stations does it have? If it has more than 5, why so many? What do you do with the extra stations?
8 stations, I'm interested too..... I just can't afford one at $1700 and justify it. Maybe one day.... definately not a machine you want to do alot of conversions on. I'd love to have that deswaging station though.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 23:38   #9
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
8 stations, I'm interested too..... I just can't afford one at $1700 and justify it. Maybe one day.... definately not a machine you want to do alot of conversions on. I'd love to have that deswaging station though.
A swaging station, that does sound interesting even for 9mm. I didn't know it had this. Id like to see a video of one running. Sounds like a really cool machine. I'd love to learn more about it.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 23:45   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
A swaging station, that does sound interesting even for 9mm. I didn't know it had this. Id like to see a video of one running. Sounds like a really cool machine. I'd love to learn more about it.
I've loaded on one a few times... the primer seating on the down stroke is awesome.... I will I would have held out instead of the 650 on one hand but them again the cost of conversions would have pushed it to 2 grand for 2 calibers.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11   #11
Streetking

that's some ugly brass. perhaps you should polish it.
Streetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:31   #12
kshutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Sized about 1K, Loaded 800 of those, Need to size another 500. Load the remaining will be about 1500 rounds. Geez.

I was still getting tipping cases from the case feeder. Figured out it's not me but the damn machine. Primer is catching as it goes over the spring. Primers are very hard to seat as well. It's just a PITA and I am sick of it.
You know you want that 1050 bad, Steve. Sell your least "loved" pistol and the red beast when it returns. You'll be back on the road to happy days again.
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35   #13
kshutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I've loaded on one a few times... the primer seating on the down stroke is awesome.... I will I would have held out instead of the 650 on one hand but them again the cost of conversions would have pushed it to 2 grand for 2 calibers.
Boxer, is there that much of an advantage over your 650 with all things considered?
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02   #14
shotgunred
reloading nut

I have never used one. I was thinking about buying one last year but you can buy two 650 for the price of one 1050. With a hornady bullet feeder you should be able to knock out 1500 rounds an hour on the 650.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54   #15
Colorado4Wheel

It's hard to justify from a cost perspective but is so worth it from user perspective. I would not want to do caliber conversions on it very often.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55   #16
Jim Watson

It's not hard to afford. Don't ask a bunch of strangers on the gunboards what gun to buy when you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Just buy a 1050 instead of a gun or two.

I really like the way it socks the primers home on the downstroke. None of this namby pamby "feel the primer seat" stuff they use to justify the low leverage of their other presses. I feel the primer seat when I single stage and hand prime match rifle ammo.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:05   #17
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Come to the dark side. We have cookies and 1050s.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 15:16   #18
shotgunred
reloading nut

Now that just not fair. If I had known you got free cookies with a 1050 I might have bought one instead of the 650.

Anyone want to buy a 650 with less than 1K of use?
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 15:21   #19
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer View Post
Come to the dark side. We have cookies and 1050s.

Dillon 1050's... so easy even a midget can do it!
(Sorry... little person. )

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 16:16   #20
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutt View Post
Boxer, is there that much of an advantage over your 650 with all things considered?
To answer, yes... all things considered other than the price... Now that I'm going to be loading .223 that swaging station sure is appealing.

The extra staions make it IMO quite a bit more versitile. I'm not crying too much though.... I'm happy with my 650. The conversion cost for it is bad enough, a 1050 would just be wayyyy overkill formy needs. I'm trying my hardest to be realisitic here

On the bright side, my leasing agent at my apartment complex just called... fedex dropped of a box from Dillon for me. That means I'll have my super swage and RT1200 trimmer set-up to play with this weekend.
&