GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:01   #1
21Glock

Hey Chrony F1 users, I'll bet you can relate to this!

Hi guys,
I finally got my first Chrony, an F1. I took it down to our hunting property this a.m. to try it out. I had some .45 Super handloads, some .45 ACP handloads and some .223 handloads for my AR Bushy carbine. Everything was going along fine, I clocked my .45 Supers out of my G21SF, (outfitted to handle these hot rounds) at an average of 1200fps with a 230 JHP slug. I was using AA#7 and Power Pistol in these rounds.
Average of 2800fps from the AR carbine with 16" barrel and 55gr. FMJBT bullet. Win. 748 powder used.
Better numbers than I expected on the .45 Super rounds, even with a 6" Lone Wolf barrel.
Then, I switched to the regular .45 ACP handloads and I was getting 3250, 4250 fps readings and then I would get Error 9 and Error 1 messages on the screen. I guess I was getting flustered and careless in my aiming, because I mistakenly let a .45 ACP round hit the rear left side of the Chrony or it hit the metal rod and came down and bent the housing like a tin can. I thought, GREAT, $90 in the crapper now!
I saw that the rear "eye" was still intact and it still had a place to put the metal rod, so I thought, what the heck, let's try it now.
Well, low and behold, it started to give normal readings on my .45 ACP loads(average of 939fps with a 230gr. hardcast home brewed slug) and normal readings on my .223 handloads.
What's the old saying, "Take's a licking and still keeps on ticking" Chrony appears to be the Timex of Shooting Chronographs.
I'll continue to use it as long as I can and be very careful next time I test loads.
If it works, why now?

Last edited by 21Glock; 04-02-2011 at 12:18..
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16   #2
tjpet

I'm on my 4th Chrony (various models over a 15-20 year period). Usually pop'em when I'm in a hurry to beat weather or short on time.

The company will sell you a new one at half the retail price if you ship the damaged one back. I've found it cheaper to just buy one through a discount house.

If you shoot enough - and use a Chrony - you'll kill one eventually.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45   #3
paydro13

I just used mine (f-1) on a few loads and when I shot a hot 44 mag round by it the rods flew off! I had it about 6ft away so I put it back together and moved it 8ft away. Kept on posting good numbers.
paydro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54   #4
21Glock

I figured this would happen to other folks. I see now why I've needed one ever since I have been reloading and shooting, 30+ years. Very valuable information on my loads.
I just wanted my "battle scars" to happen later.
But, some things just happen, no matter what. I'll never be without one again, that's for sure. Like driving a car without a speedometer!
Old 04-02-2011, 14:15   #5
dla

Here are some ideas about keeping your Chrony alive:

Chrony boo-boo plate ideas
Old 04-02-2011, 14:41   #6
XDRoX

Reloading
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 16:56   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

Use bamboo skewers instead of the metal rods. They will break instead of transmitting the energy to the chrony base. Don't ask me how I know this.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:01   #8
21Glock

Nothing like blowing away a perfectly good device costing almost $100 to help keep your aim steady.
I'll use the bamboo skewer's too next time.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 18:32   #9
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Reloading
Too bad you didn't have a remote display unit, so you could see what it thought of you putting one through the eye instead of over it.

I wounded mine, hitting one of the back rods with a 9mm...but I bent it back and it still works as well as before. It's never a good idea to chronograph in a hurry. I was hurrying and got sloppy.

Last edited by njl; 04-02-2011 at 18:32..
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:44   #10
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Reloading
holy hole batman.

Note to self, be very careful with expensive equipment, try to learn from the mistakes of others.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 22:43   #11
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
I've managed not to shoot mine... YET... we'll see what I have to say about it in a year... LOL
Old 04-03-2011, 01:16   #12
Loudcherokee
SouthPawGlocker

I've got one of those. I haven't managed to shoot it yet, but give it time!

I have had similar issues with getting it to give good readings. The first time, I was getting really fast readings for my .308 loads, above what the book says I would get with a max charge. I later figured out it wasn't open all the way. Also, the other day when shooting my first .45acp reloads, I was getting readouts of anywhere from 150-180 fps. I figured it was because it was REALLY sunny out. Even with the sunshades, it was just too bright and directed right at the eyes.

I would love to figure out a way to use the chrony while shooting prone with my rifle. I can think of one way, but I don't think my range would appreciate me digging a 4 inch deep hole the size of my chrony into the ground in front of the shooting pad.

LC
Loudcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:20   #13
dla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudcherokee View Post
I've got one of those. I haven't managed to shoot it yet, but give it time!

I have had similar issues with getting it to give good readings. The first time, I was getting really fast readings for my .308 loads, above what the book says I would get with a max charge. I later figured out it wasn't open all the way. Also, the other day when shooting my first .45acp reloads, I was getting readouts of anywhere from 150-180 fps. I figured it was because it was REALLY sunny out. Even with the sunshades, it was just too bright and directed right at the eyes.

I would love to figure out a way to use the chrony while shooting prone with my rifle. I can think of one way, but I don't think my range would appreciate me digging a 4 inch deep hole the size of my chrony into the ground in front of the shooting pad.

LC
Upside down. Most camera tripods have bottom 1/4"x20 mount. Put a sheet of white paper for the Chrony to look at.