Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2011, 17:41   #1
mibpf

Help Needed on a Dillon 650

I just bought a 650 and thought I had everything setup correct but, the problem I am having is when I place each bullet in the Stainless Steel case gauge the bullet fits but stops just short at the base. I have adjusted everything and rechecked everything. When I make a dry run without any gun powder and primer, the bullet fits in the case gauge perfect. It is almost as if their is a slight bulge at the bottom of the casing when I check the live loads. I wander if the belling of the casing from the poweder feeder is placing a lot of stress on the casing at the bottom? Does anybody have any ideas? I am reloading 9mm on a Dillon 650 using Dillon dies. I have even tried loading new shell casings.
mibpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:00   #2
AngelDeville
NoHablaMexican

Are you seating your bullets too deep?
AngelDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:00   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

First ensure you sizing die is set correctly it should touch the shellplate then back it off 1/4 turn. (dies should always be adjusted with all stations loaded). I like it to just lightly touch without camming. Size a case and then case gauge empty, that will eliminate the proble at that die. Then flare and load a bullet, followed by crimping. Your crmp should be .376-.378 inch. One thing you didn't mention is what bullet you are using?

If you need help walking you through it I'm available... PM me with you phone number and I'll call you.

Mitchell
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 04-02-2011 at 18:03..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:38   #4
mibpf

Thanks for the quick responses. I am using montana gold 124 JHP bullets. The OAL is around 1.150. I will run each station again and easure asd I go and let you know.
mibpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:54   #5
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibpf View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I am using montana gold 124 JHP bullets. The OAL is around 1.150. I will run each station again and easure asd I go and let you know.
Sounds like your looking at either a sizing or crimping issue. MG JHPs are gret bullets 1.150 is a little long for that bullet in most cases. I load them down to 1.120 for more relaible feeding.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-04-2011, 15:53   #6
Popsmoke

I have to keep my resizing die right on the shell plate or that happens to me.

G19/G23 at all times.
"There are no advanced techniques, only advanced applications of the basics."
"Amateurs practice until they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
Popsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 16:00   #7
ManNamedJed

I adjust the size die to the plate then ADD another 1/4 turn. If not I have a 10%+ failure rate if I check with a case gage (9mm).

BTW - I put all the ones that won't pass case gage in a separate pile and shoot them up in practice. I've probably run a couple thousand of them at this point and have had exactly ONE actually refuse to feed. So if its close to going all the way into your case gage, it will very likely feed just fine.
call a shotgun a shottie, call a revolver a wheelgun, call wal-mart wally world, post simply "+1", accuse anyone of kool-aid drinking, use "m4gery", tell you that your gun/ammo is unsafe/junk and instruct you to send it to me immediately, change your words and say I 'fixed it for ya', tell you to move to a gun friendly state, or bust on you for using clip instead of mag.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 16:06   #8
ron59
Bustin Caps

While I love my Dillon stuff... I ended up switching out to a Lee resizing die. I think it's a total of $20 or so. And I think it does a better job of resizing.

Pretty sure I got that idea from Steve (C4W).

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 16:11   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
First ensure you sizing die is set correctly it should touch the shellplate then back it off 1/4 turn. (dies should always be adjusted with all stations loaded). I like it to just lightly touch without camming. Size a case and then case gauge empty, that will eliminate the proble at that die. Then flare and load a bullet, followed by crimping. Your crmp should be .376-.378 inch. One thing you didn't mention is what bullet you are using?

If you need help walking you through it I'm available... PM me with you phone number and I'll call you.

Mitchell
Exactly.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 17:54   #10
squirreld

I am at 1.15 with PD FMJ's.
I ran the ram to the top and then screwed it down by hand, lowered the ram, turned a smidge more. If I felt resistance I raised the seating die.
I'm using a Lee resizer.

Part 1

Part 2
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 18:03   #11
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
I adjust the size die to the plate then ADD another 1/4 turn. If not I have a 10%+ failure rate if I check with a case gage (9mm).
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
I am at 1.15 with PD FMJ's.
I ran the ram to the top and then screwed it down by hand, lowered the ram, turned a smidge more. If I felt resistance I raised the seating die.
I'm using a Lee resizer.
I realise that YMMV, but from an engineering standpoint the last thing you want to do is OVERCAM the ram. It puts stress on the shellpla
te and the entire press in general. Lastly if your overcamming in on station, your not reacking full travel in another.
My test it this, adjust as I described above then fine tune using a piece of paper as a clearance go-no-go gauge. Just ensure you are not over camming.
&

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 04-05-2011 at 00:34..
Old 04-04-2011, 19:32   #12
squirreld

ok,
per the suggestions from the more seasoned reloaders.
I re-adjusted the sizer die.
I raised the ram and kept tightening the sizer until I was able to just wiggle the toolhead given moderate pressure. although it may be touching, it is not enough to keep it from moving.

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited by squirreld; 04-04-2011 at 19:33..
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 19:39   #13
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
While I love my Dillon stuff... I ended up switching out to a Lee resizing die. I think it's a total of $20 or so. And I think it does a better job of resizing.

Pretty sure I got that idea from Steve (C4W).
I think harassment is a better term.