Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:26   #1
chivvalry

Philly PD assault OCer at gunpoint -Chapter III- How to Solve the Problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vUYeJXSrA

Quote:
"Hey, Junior!" comes a voice from the other side of the squad car.
"Junior?!" I replied, as I turned around. I thought to myself, that's kind of a condescending way to greet someone, isn't it? As I turned, I prepared to ask the police officer what I could help him with.

It was then that I noticed the officer had his gun trained on my chest.
Scary stuff.
chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 19:57   #2
RussP

We are going to continue discussing this incident, now focusing on how to solve the issues and problems surrounding this incident.

If you choose to post in this thread, follow ALL GT Rules, TOS and posting guidelines.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Rude and insulting posts will not be tolerated.

This is a serious issue that deserves serious discussion to resolve the problem with the Philly PD.

Make positive contributions to the discussion and all will be good.

RussP

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 04-05-2011 at 07:54..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 19:09   #3
clos1084

who called mmr's Preston and Steve this morning abt this lol?
Old 04-04-2011, 19:14   #4
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clos1084 View Post
who called mmr's Preston and Steve this morning abt this lol?
He did.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ce3n0m&s=7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
You should be able to get the podcast tomorrow at www.prestonandsteve.com - it wasn't anything special, I just thought I would use their "Open Phone Philadelphia" segment to get the word out real quick that OC is legal in Philly if you have an LTCF from PA. Didn't have the time to get into any other details like reciprocal licenses, though.

Last edited by RussP; 04-05-2011 at 10:51..
Old 04-04-2011, 20:40   #5
RussP

I believe we should just cut to the chase and decide how best to correct the issues citizens of Philadelphia have regarding the lawful carry of firearms within the city limits.

THE main issue is the exception granted to 'cities of the first class'. Changing that exception will require legislative action or a legal challenge. Who is best suited to begin those processes?

Next is, lacking a better phrase, the rehabilitation of PPD. What is the best way to begin that process? Who is best qualified to organize the effort?

Another task is educating the public in Philadelphia about the legality of open carry. Are there a couple of squeaky clean open carriers who can representative the rest? Who can organize radio interviews, press releases, informational meetings, etc.?

Those are the issues.

Who wants to take point?

Old 04-04-2011, 20:48   #6
RussP

Forgot, someone needs to counsel open carriers on the risks involved in carrying openly in Philly and the consequences of varying degrees of behavior...just in case.

Old 04-04-2011, 20:52   #7
USAFE7
Retired USAF-SP

Both VERY good observations Russ.
Old 04-04-2011, 20:56   #8
Kith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Next is, lacking a better phrase, the rehabilitation of PPD. What is the best way to begin that process? Who is best qualified to organize the effort?
Ok, your way is better then mine, with less BS in the way of getting things done. I was trying to put out my way before I crashed for the night, so i'll get the links together tomorrow for the rest of what you're asking if no one else has by then.

I don't have, and don't know where to find, the answers to the two questions in bold.

Thanks for keeping us coherently making progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
That's what I like about the Internet. It's safe to be among idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi
Indignation leads to itself. Education leads to solutions.
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07   #9
Bruce M

Quote:

Another task is educating the public in Philadelphia about the legality of open carry. Are there a couple of squeaky clean open carriers who can representative the rest? Who can organize radio interviews, press releases, informational meetings, etc.?

?

Someone who is squeaky clean probably is reserved in their actions and thoughts, and very deliberate in most everything they do. As a result they may wish to avoid the kind of controversy that can arise out of this. I am not suggesting that open carriers are not squeaky clean, but rather that those that are may eschew potential controversy.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:12   #10
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakas View Post
The entire paradigm of modern policing hinges on complying with Officer instructions, even if wrong. However, for that to work long term, there must be a fair process after the fact that makes things right. Overzealous Officers should still be complied with, but later on any wrongful actions need to be corrected through dicipline, lawsuits, retraining, fines, suspensions, even prison (if bad enough) or any number of ways. There is already that to some degree, but the question remains are there enough checks and balances on a broad scale and is the pendulum far enough on the side of John Q Public or is it almost always automatically on the side of agents of goverment?...
See, you do understand. Resolving those points will be part of the solution.

How about you taking the lead on establishing the necessary criteria.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:20   #11
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Someone who is squeaky clean probably is reserved in their actions and thoughts, and very deliberate in most everything they do. As a result they may wish to avoid the kind of controversy that can arise out of this. I am not suggesting that open carriers are not squeaky clean, but rather that those that are may eschew potential controversy.
There are plenty of candidates. If you read the posts on PAFOA.org you'll see many passionate supporters of the 2nd Amendment, concealed carry and open carry, who qualify.

For clarification, when you say they may wish to avoid the controversy that can arise, what controversy do you mean?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:08   #12
Kith

Quote:
I believe we should just cut to the chase and decide how best to correct the issues citizens of Philadelphia have regarding the lawful carry of firearms within the city limits.

THE main issue is the exception granted to 'cities of the first class'. Changing that exception will require legislative action or a legal challenge. Who is best suited to begin those processes?

Those are the issues.

Who wants to take point?

Part of being that good citizen you claim to be is taking an active part in the legislative process of your government.

Today's gonna be a long day for me, but to get you guys started on doing your homework, here's the very short version of what you'll need.

To get a bill passed into law in PA: (short version)

Legislative Reference Bureau writes it into bill form:
http://www.palrb.us/

Then it'll go to the House:
http://www.house.state.pa.us/index.cfm

If it passes there, it goes to the Senate:
http://www.pasen.gov/index.cfm

Then it'll land on the Governor's desk:
http://www.governor.state.pa.us

Then it becomes law if signed.

The process is much more involved then that, but those are the absolute bare basics.

Here's a list of links that'll help in this process:

Legislators by county:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...ator/index.cfm

Email addresses, Members of the House:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...ist.cfm?body=H

Email addresses, Members of the Senate:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...ist.cfm?body=S

Contact PA Governor:
http://www.governor.state.pa.us/port...y/contact/2998

Other helpful contact links:

Contact PA Attorney General:
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/theoffice.aspx?id=71

Philadelphia City Council Members:
http://www.phila.gov/citycouncil/CouncilMembers.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok people, here's the deal.

This pretty much just applies to people from Pennsylvania.

Nothing will get done without effort, making changes to laws requires much more then a 5 minute attention span.

I challenge all of you to put your money where your mouth is.

If you didn't think this is what we were working towards, then make no mistake - the easy part was the talking we did here.

We're close to figuring out what to say to the people who can make changes for us.

For as much effort as went into criticizing the way things are, now put the same effort into making the changes you demand.

Nothing will change without people stepping up and taking action. It's gonna take more then one or two to make this happen.

So get your pens ready, you're gonna have a bunch of letters to send.

Type it up, print it out, and sign your name in pen at the bottom. Make sure your name is readable. Typed print version and signature in pen is best.

If you're capable of posting here, you're capable of mailing letters...at the very least sending emails. If you send an email, make sure to request a response.

Email is better then nothing, but a paper letter is much better then an email. Do both and you'll have more of an impact.

If you aren't sure about sending something, ask someone first. Coming off intelligently is more important then just snapping a message out.

...please try not to make blatent grammatical errors, and remember, contractions are bad form in professional letters. Spell check your work.

There's a difference between being heard and being listened to.

MOST IMPORTANT:

Your work doesn't stop with sending the letters. If a new bill is introduced, pay attention to it through the PA General Assembly website. If bad amendments get tagged on, write a whole new batch of letters in protest to all the people who will vote on it.

We want to fix things, not make them worse. Not paying attention can be worse then doing nothing.

I've been fortunate enough to have time over the last few days to spend here, but my work comes and goes in cycles. When I have downtime I have a lot, when I don't I barely get sleep. I'll swing by as often as I can to help with this.

Thanks for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21   #13
Kith

Quote:
How about we move on to developing solutions.

Yeah, you're thinking that's no fun, that takes work and is boring. For some, most, yeah it is. They prefer letting others do the heavy lifting.

Thankfully, there are those out there who thrive on solving problems and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing their hard work benefited many. It does feel good.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32   #14
johnnysquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kith View Post
The exception granted to Philadelphia (cities of the first class) by state law, requiring a license to Open Carry in city limits, is a problem that needs to be corrected.

Can we agree on this?
We could achieve the same ends by changing 18 Pa.C.S. 6122, which permits law enforcement officers to demand proof of license without probable cause or reasonable suspiscion. That would force PPD to change their policy with less upset to the apparent compromise reflected in 6108.

There may be other ways, too - maybe making open carry without a license a secondary offense. That said, I doubt any of these will get traction anytime soon without a headline case.
johnnysquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34   #15
Kith

Quote:

...Another task is educating the public in Philadelphia about the legality of open carry. Are there a couple of squeaky clean open carriers who can representative the rest? Who can organize radio interviews, press releases, informational meetings, etc.? ...
Quote:
There are plenty of candidates. If you read the posts on PAFOA.org you'll see many passionate supporters of the 2nd Amendment, concealed carry and open carry, who qualify.
http://www.pafoa.org/

Being serious about effecting change will mean going to PAFOA to find more resources and people willing to edit and help draft the letters that need to be written.

Going there will also raise awareness of what we have learned over here.

People at that site are a great resource available to Pennsylvanians in what we are going to have to do to fix it, so just be aware of this fact.

Ok, that's it for my morning coffee, so time to get out the door.

I hope this helps everyone get started.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35   #16
Kith

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysquire View Post
We could achieve the same ends by changing 18 Pa.C.S. 6122, which permits law enforcement officers to demand proof of license without probable cause or reasonable suspiscion. That would force PPD to change their policy with less upset to the apparent compromise reflected in 6108.

There may be other ways, too - maybe making open carry without a license a secondary offense. That said, I doubt any of these will get traction anytime soon without a headline case.
Ok, one last thing -

This is a good post and bears more discussion.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45   #17
chivvalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kith View Post
http://www.pafoa.org/

Being serious about effecting change will mean going to PAFOA to find more resources and people willing to edit and help draft the letters that need to be written.

Going there will also raise awareness of what we have learned over here.

People at that site are a great resource available to Pennsylvanians in what we are going to have to do to fix it, so just be aware of this fact.

Ok, that's it for my morning coffee, so time to get out the door.

I hope this helps everyone get started.
I hope you don't mind but I already posted (quoted) your previous "here's what to do" message over on the PAFOA forum.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:50   #18
Fox
Varmit Control

If there is state preemption, it's likely that city hall is going to act as if state preemption does not exist.

So why not make criminal penalties for city politicians and police that are going against the law?

Last edited by Fox; 04-05-2011 at 07:51..
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37   #19
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

This is a serious issue that deserves serious discussion to resolve the problem with the Philly PD.
You say "...problem with the Philly PD"

but the scope of the issue is far wider than just with the PD. So far in my tiny mind I've identified...

1. A legislative issue.

2. A training issue. A Philly Sgt should be aware of what is, and is not the law as it applies to folks who can (and how they can) carry guns within that jurisdiction.

3. A human issue. Someone who decides to OC should realize they are as prone to interactions from the police as say, a woman in NYC who decides to go shirtless (it is legal here). That person should make deliberate attempts at being platonic, calm and as cordial as possible. It is entirely feasible to follow lawful commands by LE without making an ass of yourself, or allow your comments or actions to catalyze the situation.

4. An issue of tactics. Some may wear their armor openly, but due consideration should be given to the fact that one is advertising one has a gun. I suspect there are parts of Philly the OCer would not venture in - day or night open carrying, but might venture thru those parts concealed carrying.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50   #20
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drew View Post
You say "...problem with the Philly PD"

but the scope of the issue is far wider than just with the PD...
Yes it is...see post #3.