Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:29   #1
ATL_GLOCK

Battle sword

So my co-worker and I were talking about swords the other day...he was asking me what do I do when the bullets run out? I said that's a fine question...which is why I try and make sure I have atleast 1000rnds of each caliber I own...which I know is conservative by many others standards, but it's all I can do for now.

Anyways just to humor this argument, what would be considered a good battle blade? I'm inclined to say a samurai sword for obvious reasons, but was wondering if there were things out there that would be considered battle blades that were more functional than fantasy!

We talked about a post Katrina type senario, and also Book of Eli came up as well.
ATL_GLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47   #2
ancient_serpent

The problem isn't so much the type of blade, but rather, the durability and construction of whatever you decide upon.
I've come to like Cold Steel products, in my experience they've always been a good value for the money. I own three CS swords, and a lot of their knives, machetes, fixed and folding knives, tomahawks, etc. Very solidly made, very sharp.
The only time I've seen any of their swords damaged or broken has been on videos of morons abusing them past the point of stupidity.
If you're looking for simple/affordable, look at their katana machete, the kukri machetes (I own one for clearing brush, great tool) or the upcoming gladius machete (I have one on order).
Alot of people first go to the katana because of the media hype surrounding the sword. Don't misunderstand, I own two and was lucky enough to take a bit of kendo when I was in Korea (weird, I know, given the feelings between the two). The katana is a great sword and very capable in the right hands, but don't dismiss western blades out of hand. Contrary to what most (think) they know, the west has a long history of martial arts. Unlike the Greeks who (for many years) simply thought athletic ability was enough on its own to produce warriors, with no thought given to the study of swordsmanship, there are manuals describing training techniques and tactics. Digrassi's "True Art of Defense" 1594 and the writings of Flavius Vegetius Renatus (430-435) are two of my favorites.
The hand and a half sword and the gladius (Pompeii) are two of my favorite designs.
Take a look at them, and the authors I mentioned if you get a chance.

Last edited by ancient_serpent; 04-05-2011 at 10:10..
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58   #3
glock_19guy1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_GLOCK View Post
So my co-worker and I were talking about swords the other day...he was asking me what do I do when the bullets run out? I said that's a fine question...which is why I try and make sure I have atleast 1000rnds of each caliber I own...which I know is conservative by many others standards, but it's all I can do for now.

Anyways just to humor this argument, what would be considered a good battle blade? I'm inclined to say a samurai sword for obvious reasons, but was wondering if there were things out there that would be considered battle blades that were more functional than fantasy!

We talked about a post Katrina type senario, and also Book of Eli came up as well.
just because you are out of ammo doesnt mean i wont shoot YOU well before you get into cutting range.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00   #4
ATL_GLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_19guy1983 View Post
just because you are out of ammo doesnt mean i wont shoot YOU well before you get into cutting range.

haha touché
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05   #5
TriggerFinger

Watch the 2:00 minute mark

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...lade/17v2gdbsf
TriggerFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:13   #6
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
I've heard about this but this was the first time I've seen it. What a bunch of idiots.

OP: I would say you're better off with a big knife than a sword. A sword usually requires 2 hands to use effectively. I believe you would be better off with a machete of a big knife like the ESEE Junglas or a Fallkniven Thor (my dream knife).
Luminary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:23   #7
engineer151515

Tagged.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31   #8
ATL_GLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
without side tracking this thread too much...I do love tosh.0 and died laughing at this video when it first aired..

But to the point stated above..these swords do specifically say they are not rated to cut wood......I think a one handed application would be good!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31   #9
ancient_serpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminary View Post
I've heard about this but this was the first time I've seen it. What a bunch of idiots.

OP: I would say you're better off with a big knife than a sword. A sword usually requires 2 hands to use effectively. I believe you would be better off with a machete of a big knife like the ESEE Junglas or a Fallkniven Thor (my dream knife).
While I completely agree that in a modern context a knife is far handier, more utilitarian and easier to carry, there are many examples of effective one handed swords, for example:
Hand and a half (used with one or two hands)
Rome's Gladius
Viking broadswords
rapiers
smallswords
The turkish yataghan
the wakazashi
the greek xiphos
12th century crusader swords

Last edited by ancient_serpent; 04-05-2011 at 10:33..
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34   #10
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

If I was living in a Highlander movie, I'd get a Gladius.

Last edited by firemedic1343; 04-05-2011 at 11:13..
firemedic1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42   #11
Goodspeed(TPF)

That's a good one.

Quote:
he was asking me what do I do when the bullets run out?
Hahahhaaha. Your friend is funny. Run out of "bullets". lol That's a knee slapper. Why I've got enough ammunition to last me 10 lifetimes.
Wait.... He was serious?
Goodspeed(TPF) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44   #12
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Sorry, but an infantry spear is a far more effective weapon that is not only easier to learn to use but also provides far more standoff than a sword. There is a reason pre-gunpowder armies equipped their infantry with a spear as a primary weapon. The sword was the last ditch fall-back plan much like a pistol is today.

A proper figthing spear is much more intuitive, requires a LOT less training and skill than a sword. Pick up one of the Cold Steel modern interpretations of the European Boar Spear, or one of the African Asagai spears and you will immediately understand how dangerous and powerful a spear is compared to a sword.

A man with a sword has little chance against a man with a proper spear!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58   #13
ancient_serpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Sorry, but an infantry spear is a far more effective weapon that is not only easier to learn to use but also provides far more standoff than a sword. There is a reason pre-gunpowder armies equipped their infantry with a spear as a primary weapon. The sword was the last ditch fall-back plan much like a pistol is today.

A proper figthing spear is much more intuitive, requires a LOT less training and skill than a sword. Pick up one of the Cold Steel modern interpretations of the European Boar Spear, or one of the African Asagai spears and you will immediately understand how dangerous and powerful a spear is compared to a sword.

A man with a sword has little chance against a man with a proper spear!
One of the few fights that Miyamoto Mushashi (by accounts, one of the most accomplished swordsman) lost was to a man with a staff. A spear is (IMO) easier to learn; another benefit is that it requires less metal and less skill to make than a sword. I have a poleaxe and a spear in my collection, they easily outreach a sword blade.
The advantage of the sword was as stated above, "last ditch", in close quarters. In the tight press of battle, a polearm in many cases would be too long and unwieldy. The long wooden handles could also become entrapped in a shield, or broken at the onset of an engagement.
The only thing I disagree with is your last sentence: don't disgard the hand protection and longer blade a sword can provide.
The spear is a highly effective weapon, but so is the sword.

Last edited by ancient_serpent; 04-05-2011 at 11:00..
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00   #14
ATL_GLOCK

I'm interested by the SOG 18in machette
The Cutting Edge
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01   #15
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
While I completely agree that in a modern context a knife is far handier, more utilitarian and easier to carry, there are many examples of effective one handed swords, for example:
Hand and a half (used with one or two hands)
Rome's Gladius
Viking broadswords
rapiers
smallswords
The turkish yataghan
the wakazashi
the greek xiphos
12th century crusader swords
Agreed. I was actually debating on getting a wakazashi a while back. My dream sword is the Busse Gladius.
Luminary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:11   #16
ancient_serpent

Just looked up the Busse Gladius; that is an impressive looking blade. At 600 it looks like it may be a bit of a collector piece, though.
For a gladius, I went non-traditonal and bought the CS gladius machete. At under 50, I figured it would give me a chance to see how I like the length and basic design of the type without paying much for it.
If you're looking towards the wakazashi, I suggest the CS Chisa Katana, or their warrior series.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:16   #17
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
Just looked up the Busse Gladius; that is an impressive looking blade. At 600 it looks like it may be a bit of a collector piece, though.
For a gladius, I went non-traditonal and bought the CS gladius machete. At under 50, I figured it would give me a chance to see how I like the length and basic design of the type without paying much for it.
If you're looking towards the wakazashi, I suggest the CS Chisa Katana, or their warrior series.
That CS Gladius Machete is nice. I think I might order one for camping.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17   #18
ATL_GLOCK

wow yeah $600+ for a sword is a lot! I think I'm going to try out a cold steel blade to begin with.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23   #19
Tvov

Why the fixation on a sword? Ever thought about a baseball bat? Simple to use, can be extraordinarily dangerous, and --- "It's just a baseball bat, officer!".

Otherwise, I would lean toward a machete. You can actually use it as a tool when not fighting off hordes. Speaking of which, ever walked into a gardening shed? The walls are dripping with weapons, if you think about it!
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24   #20
Goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_GLOCK View Post
wow yeah $600+ for a sword is a lot! I think I'm going to try out a cold steel blade to begin with.

Lets just say that $600.00 buys you 3000 rounds of .556. How long would that last someone? Realistically. In a situation where he would "need" it. And keep in mind, probably no more leisurely target practice any more as he "needs" it now. So I can have one sword, or 3000 rounds of ammo...
Goodspeed(TPF) is offline   Reply With Quote