Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2008, 23:41   #1
cessnastud
Rawr!!!

MD ranges?

Hello MD Glockers!

My mother has recently moved back to Maryland and has begun to entertain the idea of a gun for home defense. I, living in Ohio, have absolutely no clue concerning MD gun laws. I hear there is a "list" of approved handguns and we'll work off that, but more importantly, are there any public ranges with rental guns in the Aberdeen/Bel Air/Joppatowne area. I told her I would take her shooting when I visit next, but I wanted to do some homework first. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks-

CS
cessnastud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 18:08   #2
Aquanewt

There are a few places in the Baltimore area she could rent a gun. Colonial arms on Deerco road off I-83 (Padonia Rd exit) comes to mind

Last edited by Aquanewt; 09-02-2008 at 18:10..
Aquanewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 19:10   #3
CSnakes

http://www.ontargetdot.com/
good people, good place, slightly sketchy area, rentals are good, great gun for sale section a little pricey though

http://www.selectfire.com/
the staff is a little strange, some are outright condensending and rude, decent selection of rentals, okay selection for sale priced even higher.

be prepared to buy targets and range ammo at either for the rental guns.

big link here http://www.gunshowdirectory.com/loca...12&popState=MD

I'd call anyone of them first and make sure they have what you want to rent.

Good Luck,

CSnakes
CSnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 19:14   #4
Tx-G30

when i lived in Md, i use to go to Continental Arms off of Padonia Rd, by Denny's and On Target by Ft. Meade.

I use to belong to an outdoor range behind Huntvalley Mall but I forget their name. Those guys also run a gun shop back there.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Tx-G30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 21:24   #5
cessnastud
Rawr!!!

Thanks guys. In my course of research I also came across Continental and Whitemarsh Arms. They seem like they are somehow connected. I also found a joint up in Bel Air. Horst and McCann (http://www.horstguns.com/index.html) is the closest to her location, but I think it could be fun to make a day of visiting other shops in the ares. Thanks again for the leads and if anyone has any reviews of H&M, I would like to get your impressions.

CS
cessnastud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31   #6
glockman1980
GLOCKMAN

i also attended Colonial arms on Deerco road off I-83 when i lived in Baltimore last year..now i live in Pennsylvania got my LTCF here so i carry all day now.. Baltimore wouldn't let anyone carry.why is it the places you need to carry most won't let you?? i lived in new york,new jersey,and Baltimore and the worse places wont let you carry for defense..? go figure
glockman1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54   #7
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

http://www.silveradogunshow.com/silver.html

Has your Mom ever been to a gun show?

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 00:13   #8
Mike Rittenour

I live in southern MD, I just bought a G-26 from the local gun store, I know at one point a couple of years ago, There was a ban on what type of pistols you could buy and with what capacity mag you could buy them with. BUt within the last year Ive bought my G-17 and my G-26. The 17 came with 2 17 round mags.
Mike Rittenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58   #9
rsagona1
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnastud View Post
Thanks guys. In my course of research I also came across Continental and Whitemarsh Arms. They seem like they are somehow connected. I also found a joint up in Bel Air. Horst and McCann (http://www.horstguns.com/index.html) is the closest to her location, but I think it could be fun to make a day of visiting other shops in the ares. Thanks again for the leads and if anyone has any reviews of H&M, I would like to get your impressions.

CS
I go to Horstguns all the time. Their awesome.
rsagona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 21:15   #10
mazdaboi

Send a message via ICQ to mazdaboi Send a message via AIM to mazdaboi
Born and raised in MD. Military let me move to VA, love it down here. i do bring my firearms when i visit md, cause i dont trust ppl around here in VA and the guns in an apt when im not around. but still have yet to find a good place in MD to shoot. (unlike here in VA, there is a range every 10miles)

THere is an indoor place in Glenburnie, but never visited the place yet.

Anyone else go there?
Charter Arms - .38SPL
mazdaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 18:34   #11
NRGarrott

I haven't been to the indoor range in Glen Burnie, but i am a fan of On-Target in Severn. Its indoor and the staff is friendly.
NRGarrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:18   #12
N3OKI

I use to be a regular of On-Target. But that was a good 15yrs ago. Back when Gunny and Derek worked there. Could not beat having a membership. Walk in, get lane, shoot all day.........
Florida Glockers #128
Tac. Shotgun #1500
N3OKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51   #13
Isaiah1412

Another +1 for Horst Guns, they have excellent range facilities, pretty good selection of guns for rental and purchase, and very knowledgeable and friendly staff. I took my NRA Basic Pistol course there, purchased my Glock and shoot there regularly.

The only downside is that its about the only range within 30-45 minutes of Bel Air/Aberdeen, so it can get fairly crowded, especially on weekends. If you really want to try a number of different rental firearms out I would recommend going during the week in the daytime.

PM me if you want my email, we can meet up for a few rounds and I can show you and your mom some cool places to grab lunch afterwards.
Isaiah1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:39   #14
knattyman
Big Daddy

Send a message via MSN to knattyman Send a message via Yahoo to knattyman
Yes i regularly go to Select Fire in Glen Burnie, Ammo is kinda pricey but I mostly bring my own. They have rental fire arms, but they are a lil strict as far as speed shooting, head shots on targets etc, etc,.I mean I never had a problem but they stay in the shooting area giving out warnings and watching you on camera.If i had to rate it, I would say 6 out of 10 just because their staff is kinda rude and that makes for not as much fun as it should be. Wouldn't recommend
G17, OD G19, G23, G26, G30, Springfield XDM .40, Ruger P94, .357 Desert Eagle Matte Black, Bersa Firestorm .380, Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser , Colt LE6920, Bushmaster M4-A1,Yugoslavian AK-47 Underfolder
Kalashnikov Klub Member # 863
NRA Member

Last edited by knattyman; 05-24-2009 at 05:42..
knattyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:03   #15
MDLibertarian
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MDLibertarian
There is also the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore located in Marriottsville off Marriottsville Road (just off I-70), but you need to be either a member or guest of a member of one of the clubs to shoot there. Another range is Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club in Pasadena. Like the aforementioned club, you either have to be a member of the club or a guest of a member to shoot there as well.
Old 01-29-2010, 17:27   #16
cal7279

There is the Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro, MD. It's affordable and they rent guns. A lot of newbies go there to try out guns. My favorite is the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. The lighting and ventilation is top notch. It's really a great facility. However, they do not rent guns. I'm actually a member at the NRA Range eventhough I live closer to other ranges in the DC Metro area. In my opinion, it's the best around.
cal7279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:02   #17
Carlitos

I left MD for good over 10 yrs ago, but I was very active in the shooting scene before that.

You might try Duffy's gun room in Butler; they have a range for members but if you bought something they used to let you try it out.

Best gunshop around is Duffy's gun room; MUCH better than Valley gun accross the street.

If you are in Fell's Point, there is Baltimore gun - but the prices are high.

Up in Bel Aire, try the Gunpowder indoor range (they have rentals) their transfer fees were the lowest I found ($25) but if they stock the same gun they get pissy.

Deep Run Rifle & Revolver ran cool rifle, pistol and shotgun bowling pin shoots open to the public. Same goes for Continental Arms (tell Genie I said hi).

Out near Marriotsville, try Mountainside Hunters supply (they have handguns too). Nearby AGC range was where I spent a lot of time growing up, but I heard from friends who stayed taht they hired a real a-hole range officer; he was blatently racist towards an Asian buddy of mine - so I can't recommend joining anymore.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Call the anti-gun, "Violence Policy Center" shill group, "American Hunters & Shooters Assoc." and tell them to go to heck! (202) 315-3370
Carlitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26   #18
Aquanewt

Carlitos, you did leave 10 years ago, The only gunshop in Baltimore City limits in The Cop Shop on Baltimore St, The Baltimore GunSmith on Broadway got closed by the Feds, I'm pretty sure Duffy's is closed now and Valley became Just Guns but when they moved from Towson they went to Parkville/Carney (Harford Rd at Taylor Ave) The owner's wife operates it now as he had some kind of problem with the law. Walter's Gun Chamber right up the street is gone as well.
Cessna stud
I belong to a Gun club with an outdoor range off Harford Rd north of the Baltimore Beltway (Baltimore County Game and Fish) if there is any way I can help you and you Mom out let me know
Old 05-05-2010, 18:21   #19
aliasneo07

MD does have an approved handgun roster but pretty much you'll be able to find whatever you need.

I'd recommend taking her to on target and having her rent a few different guns. The rental fee is a flat fee and then you can switch to as many guns as you want for the same price.

Don't go to select fire you'll regret it.

Last edited by aliasneo07; 05-05-2010 at 18:22..
aliasneo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 14:02   #20
Flipz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal7279 View Post
There is the Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro, MD. It's affordable and they rent guns. A lot of newbies go there to try out guns. My favorite is the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. The lighting and ventilation is top notch. It's really a great facility. However, they do not rent guns. I'm actually a member at the NRA Range eventhough I live closer to other ranges in the DC Metro area. In my opinion, it's the best around.
+1

I go to MSAR in PG County about 3 times a month. I actually live in Montgomery County but I prefer to drive to MSAR in PG County since I can bring my own ammo. Its Montgomery County law that if you go to an indoor range to shoot you MUST buy their ammo. Which is ridiculous since you pay an extra $10 per box of 50 instead of just buying it cheaper at Walmart. Not to mention their membership fees are more expensive also.

MSAR has a great staff and very reasonable pricing if you were to rent one of their guns to try out. You dont pay by hour which is an extra plus. You pay $15 for an entire day. You can go and shoot in the morning and leave for lunch and then come back and keep shooting. The only negative there is how busy they get. And personally I think they need to upgrade their ventilation system. But, Im a Gold Member there so obviously I like the place a lot.

Ive heard of an outdoor range out near Frederick that is supposed to be pretty good and cheap too. I dont remember the name but their only open on weekends and its like $2 for your entry fee and then like $1 per target. If anyone knows the name please let me know.

*Edit*
Cresap is the range in Frederick I was talking about. It has both a handgun and rifle range.
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP

Last edited by Flipz; 09-15-2010 at 15:12..
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote