GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:07   #1
Chiplexic

Best all around reloading manual that doesn't neglect 9mm ?

I did quite a few searches using combinations of 9mm,reloading,manual,book,best. But got nothing specific.

I looked at the Lyman book in a store. And as I've read here on GlockTalk, the Lyman #49 manual, with all it's wonderful info, definately slights the 9mm Luger round. Which is mainly what I'll be reloading.

So can someone recommend a manual that still offers lots of info on other handgun and rifle ammo, general reloading info and teachings, but yet still covers 9mm Luger at last moderately??

Last edited by Chiplexic; 04-07-2011 at 12:08..
Chiplexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:14   #2
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiplexic View Post
I did quite a few searches using combinations of 9mm,reloading,manual,book,best. But got nothing specific.

I looked at the Lyman book in a store. And as I've read here on GlockTalk, the Lyman #49 manual, with all it's wonderful info, definately slights the 9mm Luger round. Which is mainly what I'll be reloading.

So can someone recommend a manual that still offers lots of info on other handgun and rifle ammo, general reloading info and teachings, but yet still covers 9mm Luger at last moderately??
What data are you exactly looking for? I don't feel like 9mm is necessarily short changed in any of my manuals, but it's impossible to have all the data for every round in a manual.

The Speer manual has adequate data in it.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I like the Lyman best of the three that I own. You might want to look into 9mm caliber specific "Load Books"
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 13:18   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I like the Lyman best of the three that I own. You might want to look into 9mm caliber specific "Load Books"
The Lyman has lead & jacketed data. The Load books are also very good, lots of data.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 17:18   #5
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
What data are you exactly looking for? I don't feel like 9mm is necessarily short changed in any of my manuals, but it's impossible to have all the data for every round in a manual.

The Speer manual has adequate data in it.

I have 5 or 6 of the newer reloading manuals including the Lyman 49th, I think they all have a great deal info about the 9mm. Just what type of info do you want that you feel is lacking in this manual. More or different bullet shapes or weights, different powders, different combinations of these things. Let us know so we can better point you in the right direction.
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 17:22   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Lyman has good data in it.
Old 04-07-2011, 19:57   #7
Chiplexic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCG View Post
I have 5 or 6 of the newer reloading manuals including the Lyman 49th, I think they all have a great deal info about the 9mm. Just what type of info do you want that you feel is lacking in this manual. More or different bullet shapes or weights, different powders, different combinations of these things. Let us know so we can better point you in the right direction.
Well, as I say I was looking at it in a store and didn't end up buying it. But I had read a few people say it was weak on 9mm luger and when I turned to that page ,in the store to see, it had maybe 4 bullets per grain (IIRC). As well as powder brands. Hey, maybe it's me. I guess I expected to see 10 or so bullet brands per grain...and so on. With 9mm so popular I expected to see mucho data I guess. But if that's the norm...well so be it. maybe I'll just go back and get the book then. I'm new to this.

Last edited by Chiplexic; 04-07-2011 at 20:00..
Old 04-07-2011, 20:37   #8
RRTX11

Quote:

I prefer the Lymans 49th over the 9mm specific book I got from Cabelas. Lymans 49th list load data for more types of powder than any manual I have referenced. I has almost every bullet available in lead and jacketed. It list these powers for 125 gr jacketed
clays
titegroup
bullseye
700x
aa#5
unique
power pistol
universal
n340
true blue
hs-6
aa#7
blue dot

If you load in one of those powders, they have your data in just about any common bullet available.

gk
RRTX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55   #9
ColoCG

Quote:
Well, as I say I was looking at it in a store and didn't end up buying it. But I had read a few people say it was weak on 9mm luger and when I turned to that page ,in the store to see, it had maybe 4 bullets per grain (IIRC). As well as powder brands. Hey, maybe it's me. I guess I expected to see 10 or so bullet brands per grain...and so on. With 9mm so popular I expected to see mucho data I guess. But if that's the norm...well so be it. maybe I'll just go back and get the book then. I'm new to this.

Most manuals only list 1 bullet per weight or 1 for jacketed and 1 for lead. It is usually the brand of bullets of the maker of the manual.
For example Hornady manual= Hornady bullets and so on.

Thats why the Lyman is so good,it lists different makers bullets as well as cast bullets.

Use data for same weight bullets with the same shape and the same composition. RNFMJ 115gr. bullets from one maker will be very similar to another. Plated bullet loads fall between FMJ and Cast.

You can get additional loading info from powder manufacturers web site such as:
http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...ers/index.aspx&

These should not be used to replace a couple of good reloading manuals!

I hope this helps.

Last edited by ColoCG; 04-08-2011 at 10:03.. Reason: more info
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 17:00   #10
Chiplexic

Here's a review of the Lyman #49 that had me reconsidering the book. Since I'm mainly concerned with 9mm right now. For the recreational steel shooting I do I'm mainly thinking 115 gr. mainly for economics.

" Very limited in reloads for handguns doesn't even cover some of the popular weights for several rounds, in 9mm it barely scratches the surface, the same with 40 S&W, and according to Lyman their is only one type of 55 grn bullet for 223. It does have some nice information, but it far from being complete manual for reloading. "

Last edited by Chiplexic; 04-08-2011 at 17:03..
Old 04-08-2011, 23:50   #11
noylj

You can get Richard Lee's book. He has compiled and normalized all the load data he has permission to publish.
I also have no idea what you are looking for that Lyman and others are neglecting.
If you want load data for a 121gn bullet, then use data for a bullet that is heavier (124-130gn) and work up, starting at the heavier bullet's starting load.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 00:07   #12
noylj

You can not expect the industry to hold your hand. Your a big boy, so think about what you know and how to determine a safe starting load given the 'limited' data available.
Any 121gn jacketed load-core bullet will have pretty much the exact same load data. In most cases, the reloader should have slightly lower pressures than shown in the manual, if the test barrel has a tighter chamber and barrel, by loading the COL to longer than the listed manual's minimum COL.
Then, as I said above, you can use the next heavier bullet of similar construction to get a starting load for a bullet whose weight does not appear in the manual.
Also, and this one can be tricky, you can use data for the bullet weight you are interested in and use the load data for the company's next faster powder of the same manufacturing process--i.e., you are going to get a low pressure safe load if you use Green Dot or Red Dot or Bullseye data for Unique to get a safe starting load.
Another way to determine a safe load is to take the data from a smaller cartridge of the same or lower pressure--i.e., take .380 data for a given weight of bullet for 9x19. I use 9x19 data for my 9x21 and .38 Super (which really is neglected, but I understand why). You can't use .45GAP data for .45Auto, because they are not pressure compatible.
The best way is to buy several loading manuals and then start with the LOWEST starting load from those manuals.
It is always your responsibility to determine what is max in your gun, and it is always your responsibility to always start at a safe starting load and work up.
Nobody is going to test every bullet and every powder; currently, the powder manufacturers are cutting the number of powders they call handgun powders, to reduce the cost of testing, and, I am sure, they will be eliminating some powders from their line-ups.
You have to learn how to interpolate/extrapolate from the data given.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11   #13
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
You can get Richard Lee's book. He has compiled and normalized all the load data he has permission to publish.
I also have no idea what you are looking for that Lyman and others are neglecting.
If you want load data for a 121gn bullet, then use data for a bullet that is heavier (124-130gn) and work up, starting at the heavier bullet's starting load.
+1 Load manuals are a starting point. If you are starting out, you start with those components and go. No substitute for knowing how to work up a load. If you want to progress beyond the basics, learn the relationships between burn speed, pressure, seating depth, case volume, projectile bearing surface, projectile material, etc. Get a chrono. Learn to read pressure signs,

Like a cookbook. If you don't know what you're doing, it provides a starting point. Once you understand flavor profiles, you move beyond the book.

Last edited by dudel; 04-09-2011 at 03:14..
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:40   #14
Chiplexic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
You have to learn how to interpolate/extrapolate from the data given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
+1 Load manuals are a starting point. If you are starting out, you start with those components and go. No substitute for knowing how to work up a load. If you want to progress beyond the basics, learn the relationships between burn speed, pressure, seating depth, case volume, projectile bearing surface, projectile material, etc. Get a chrono. Learn to read pressure signs,

Like a cookbook. If you don't know what you're doing, it provides a starting point. Once you understand flavor profiles, you move beyond the book.
OK, that's the way I'll approach it then. Good to know. Thanks