Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2011, 20:57   #1
OldScribe2009

Unhappy with Meprolight Night Sights

I ordered a set of Meprolight Night Sights for my Glock 27, and I'm very dissatisfied with how little they glow. In a completely dark room, even after my eyes adjust, the sights are hard to locate. If I just tossed them on my bed, for example, and turned the lights out, my face would have to be inches away in order to see them. This isn't what I wanted, nor what I expected.

Years ago, I ordered a set of Meprolight Night Sights for my XD-9 and had similar problems, so I can't blame the dealers. As a matter of fact, I told this seller that I HAD to have brand new sights. I wouldn't accept a product that's been gathering dust in a stockroom for four years. He told me I could return these for a 100% refund if I was unhappy.

What's the deal? I hear a lot of positive reviews for Meprolight's products, but these aren't worth what I paid. I want something that GLOWS. I shouldn't have to squint and guess where the front sight is pointed when my firearm is extended away from my body.

Once again, I don't blame the dealers, I hold the manufacturer responsible. But when I send these back and get a refund, what should I buy? I considered fiber-optic sights, but they're fairly chunky, meaning they take up more space than the factory sights.

I don't know what to do. I REALLY want to get rid of these awful Glock U-dot stock sights, even if I don't replace them with night sights.

Ideas? Advice? Thank you.
OldScribe2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 21:06   #2
mgentry

I have used Trijicon and they seem to work well! I tried your exercise and I found them very easily in my dark bedroom. There are two Trijicon sight, the normal ones and the Novak style (more for CCW)

Last edited by mgentry; 04-09-2011 at 21:07..
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 21:14   #3
OldScribe2009

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentry View Post
I have used Trijicon and they seem to work well! I tried your exercise and I found them very easily in my dark bedroom. There are two Trijicon sight, the normal ones and the Novak style (more for CCW)
Thank you. I'll look into it!
Old 04-09-2011, 21:23   #4
poodleshooter1

I dunno, I have had the whole dim NS thing with Trijicons more so than Meps. Try the 34/7/Xpress sights, they are a bigger dot so they should be easier to spot, and will glow more.
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 00:07   #5
TSAX
USAF Vet

I prefer the XS Big Dots but the brightest I've seen are the Tru Glo ones.

http://www.xssights.com/sightimages.html

Sights, Optics and Lasers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:29   #6
Dave.1

I don't know what you are anticipating for the use of your sights. I don't think fiber optic are a good choice for all around.

When I used night sights I chose Aro-Tek. Good sights and don't require a pusher.
http://www.arotek.com/orderform.aspx

I know my home and I don't need night sights so I switched to steel Glock sights, you can use a polymer front just have the steel rear so you can jack the slide on your belt. If I'm on the street I won't probably have time to use night sights. I have also trained with a flashlight and like that alternative.

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31   #7
KennyFSU
What to wear...

+1 on the Trijicons, I had a set on my 19 and they were very bright in total darkness.
KennyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 15:22   #8
OldScribe2009

Day Sights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.1 View Post
I don't know what you are anticipating for the use of your sights. I don't think fiber optic are a good choice for all around.

When I used night sights I chose Aro-Tek. Good sights and don't require a pusher.
http://www.arotek.com/orderform.aspx

I know my home and I don't need night sights so I switched to steel Glock sights, you can use a polymer front just have the steel rear so you can jack the slide on your belt. If I'm on the street I won't probably have time to use night sights. I have also trained with a flashlight and like that alternative.

Dave
I'm glad you posted this, Dave. I'm now looking into using just plain Jane 3-dot steel sights. Trijicon makes a set for Glocks. I was reading reviews on this set on Top Glock, and there was a police officer who loves them. He believes that you'll only have a "nanosecond" to draw and shoot in a self-defense situation, so night sights may not help. For that matter, no kind of sights may help.

I'm not bashing what anyone else thinks. I mean, we all have different opinions on what gun to carry, what ammo to use, what accessories to add, etc. I talked to a guy who carries twin six-shot revolvers instead of one semi-automatic. When he explained why, it was hard to argue against his logic; he made sense. So, to each his own.
Old 04-10-2011, 15:47   #9
Dave.1

Glad to help! Talking about sights always opens up a can of worms and you may change your mind later. The more training you get and the more people you talk to, the better qualified you are to make a decision.

Also, I don't think I'd want to get on the bad side of a guy who carries twin revolvers! I would like to get his take on self defense though. Sounds like he would be interesting.

Dave

Last edited by Dave.1; 04-10-2011 at 15:52.. Reason: sp
Old 04-10-2011, 15:57   #10
one73maro

I really like my Truglo TFO's on my G27. They are very bright in all light conditions.
one73maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 16:13   #11
samuse

Meprolights should be brighter than that.

If you decide to change 'em, look at ameriglo.com

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 23:21   #12
OldScribe2009

Night Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.1 View Post
Glad to help! Talking about sights always opens up a can of worms and you may change your mind later. The more training you get and the more people you talk to, the better qualified you are to make a decision.

Also, I don't think I'd want to get on the bad side of a guy who carries twin revolvers! I would like to get his take on self defense though. Sounds like he would be interesting.

Dave
The guy believed that revolvers are more mechanically simple weapons, making them less likely to fail. No stovepipes, no failures to feed. If you squeeze the trigger, and it doesn't go bang, just squeeze again. Two guns give him the ability to lay down two simultaneous lines of fire. He has twelve shots plus a couple speed loaders. And if things get real sticky, and he has a friend along, just pass him/her the extra gun.

I agree with folks who say Meprolights should be brighter. I'd like to visit some gun stores and/or gunsmiths to see what other night sights look like. I don't have any friends here who use them (believe it or not).
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36   #13
Dave.1

If you can find someone you know that has a copy of TR Graham's video
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=186832
He shows a comparison in various sights in the dark. Worth having the video anyway.

I have never fired two pistols at the same time. I would think you'd have to be pretty good just to hit the same target not to mention hitting multiple targets. At this point in my life I think that's way beyond my skill level.

Dave
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39   #14
MrVvrroomm

I have Meprolights on several of my Glocks. Most of them are older than yours. Mine are as bright as any of my other brands of night sights.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 14:13   #15
RayB
Retired Member

With all respect to the OP, have you had your eyes examined lately?

A person's eyesight can be perfectly adequate in daylight, but suck in low light conditions... A person's eyes can also be slow to dilate, and thus adapt slowly to low light conditions.

The pupils of a child's eyes in near total darkness, may dilate to some 7 mm. Whereas an older adult's pupils may dilate to less than 5 mm, in near total darkness, and take longer doing so.

The above two statements have been demonstrated repeatedly in astronomy clubs around the world.

In my direct experience, Meprolights are among the brightest night sights out there--the front sight being slightly brighter than the rear sight, by design.

To my mind, the best two possibilities are...

1) You've had bad luck and received two bad sets of Meprolight sights, which is a possibility, however unlikely.

2) Your night-vision sensitivity is below average.

I would recommend that you have your precious eyes examined before moving on to other sight brands.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 14:37   #16
TriggerFinger

Meprolight sights are not the greatest. I had them first because they were the cheapest when I was shopping around. Night sights are night sights right? NOPE.

They are by far the dullest compared to XS 24/7 and Trijicons.
TriggerFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 15:16   #17
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Meprolight sights are not the greatest. I had them first because they were the cheapest when I was shopping around. Night sights are night sights right? NOPE.

They are by far the dullest compared to XS 24/7 and Trijicons.

That's definitely not the case in my own experience.

Trijicon's lamp markers do appear sharper, but certainly not brighter than the Meprolight's do.

Since XS uses tritium lamps imported and distributed by Trijicon, they glow about the same--at least to my eyes.

Here's my well-received Night Sight Review...

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so. We’ve also been hearing that Glock now offers Trijicon night sights, installed by the factory.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on. The new Trijicon HD sights rival AmeriGlo's Operator-style Sights in concept, and have a protective coating over the front sight marker.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TruGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic--like TruGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--i.e., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 18:53   #18
OldScribe2009

I had my eyes tested less than twelve months ago, and I have better than perfect vision. The physician didn't find any abnormalities either.

I'm just going to go with the Trijicon 3-dot day sights. Half the cost, and I don't see why I would ever have to replace them, unless they break.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:44   #19
Thrill

Being a n00b, looking for almost anything better than the stock, plastic, Glock sights, I'm following this discussion with interest.

Haven't seen these mentioned yet,...

[URL]http://www.suresight.com/[/URL]

Anyone here try them or have any experience with them?

I've read the info and they look like they would be great.

I'm going to the NRA convention in Pittsburgh where I hope to be able to actually hold and examine many of the options first hand, up-close, and personal, but I'm not sure the Suresight is one of the vendors there.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by Thrill; 04-15-2011 at 01:45..
Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:45   #20
Dave.1

OldScribe2009, glad to hear your eyes are good. Based on your name and avatar I think everyone figured you were an old guy like me. I don't need glasses as long as the target isn't too close.

Thrill, never have seen those sights. I think you're being smart to check all the options in person. Much better than guessing based on opinion or advertisement.

Dave