Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2011, 21:18   #1
billdean

Captive or non-captive recoil springs

Any opinions on which one should be used in a glock 10mm? My G-29 and G-20 are 10 years old and I would like to replace them. Stainless or Tungsten?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
billdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 21:34   #2
EAA10

The new 29 springs are captive. I prefer stock Glock parts, so I would get the stock replacement, or the upgraded spring if applicable....
Old 04-09-2011, 22:16   #3
leadslinger13

i have been using a dead bang non captive recoil guide and spring for about a year now. I think it is far superior to the glock OEM and others.

he used to have a demo on his web page but it looks like its gone. It really reduces muzzle flip and softens recoil.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:35   #4
g29guy

captive vs non captive

I purchased the non captive stainless steel rod and the spring kit (17,19,21,23 pound springs) from wolff springs for my 29.
The non captive doesn't take any longer and is easier to keep clean. You just have to pay attention when you take the slide off to remove the springs so you dont bump them and send them flying. Reinstalling the springs is a sinch, even the 23 pound spring isnt hard to install.
The advantage of the non captive spring is you can change the spring in the field or at the range in about 30 seconds so you can fix any cycling issues or fine tune your springs for your reloads.
I haven't had any cycle problems with my 21 or 23 pound springs with factory hornady htp 180 or rem 180 umc and although the 23 pound does take a bit more to rack the slide it keeps the brass ejecting about 6 feet away.
Hope this helps
g29guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:49   #5
DWS22

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdean View Post
Any opinions on which one should be used in a glock 10mm? My G-29 and G-20 are 10 years old and I would like to replace them. Stainless or Tungsten?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
.....In my G20 I use a Wolff guide rod with a 22# spring,,,this set-up was recommended by Canyon Man,and it works very well with ALL loads...Weak and strong...

... http://www.gunsprings.com/home
DWS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:54   #6
lunker

How about the G29? It has a dual rate spring. Are people going with single rate springs and Wolff guide rods?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:38   #7
g29guy

dual rate spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
How about the G29? It has a dual rate spring. Are people going with single rate springs and Wolff guide rods?
I use the dual rate spring and the ss guide rod for the 29.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ID=1&mID=5#121

Not sure if you can use a single spring. I don't know why you would want to. The gen 4 glocks are going to a dual spring because it is better. Simple is good but so is technology. The dual spring helps with recoil and makes a smother transition for the slide. I think the gen 3 29 uses the dual spring for recoil control.
g29guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 17:00   #8
billdean

Thanks everyone. It may be a while before I want to shoot again. The wolf system sould perry good.
billdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 17:33   #9
mudrush
Deceased

Captive rod is better for quick cleaning in the field if you get it too dirty.

Non captive is better when tuning at the range but not combat.
mudrush is offline   Reply With Quote