SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2011, 22:33   #1
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Problems loading .475 wildey mag

Im trying to load .475 wildey. Im using lyman dies with speer .475 diameter bullets. The problem I am having is neck tension. I cannot get rnough after seating the bullets with a a pinch of the fingers I can sink the bullet past the cannalure. I am setting up the dies correctly, but I can pretty much use my hands as a press to seat the bullets. I measured the die inside diameter and then subtrated the case was thickness and I get .475 diameter. Im I ever going to get enough neck tension with .475 after resizing. This is a high pressure gun and the last thing I want is set back esp, with,bluedot. After I sink them by the cannalure by hand the bullet seems to have proper neck tension but oal is .020 shorter, plus one single whack with the bullet puller and they fly out. Any help would be great thanks...

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 22:36   #2
fredj338

Is the ID before belling & after sizing? Sounds like your sizer isn't the rigth spec or you brass is very thin. If it's after belling, then chuck the flaring/belling mandrel up & polish it down 0.0015".
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 22:41   #3
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

It is after belling, but I measured the beller and its .473. I tried to load thr bullet with out belling but I still could not achieve proper neck tension. Can you load a shotable round with a rezizer that is the same as the bullet diameter..

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:39   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
It is after belling, but I measured the beller and its .473. I tried to load thr bullet with out belling but I still could not achieve proper neck tension. Can you load a shotable round with a rezizer that is the same as the bullet diameter..
Probably not. As you note, you have a loss of neck tension. Try polishing down the expander.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote