Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-21-2011, 15:16   #1
Leightonpd2

Going old school or back in comfortable clothing. Gun and equipment relate

After being behind a desk since 2004, I am back in patrol. I love it. Not really sure why I waited so long. I am having a ball. Recently when I started back, I tried what everyone else is doind. Nylon equipment with Serpa holsters, Taser, lightweight gun.

Been working in the Housing Area lately. It is amazing on the number of people who run. Years ago, if a thug said something to you from the side of the street, they would have the courtesy to wait until you stopped the car and got out before they ran.

After thinking about it, I got into the "box" in the closet. You know about the "box". Holsters and stuff are inside it that are forgotten about or not used anymore.

Equipment first. Black Basketweave belt and support items. Taser gone, but PR-24 added. Safariland SSIII 070 holster. Next, I opened the old blue box. I think I hear angels in the background (just kidding). The Smith & Wesson 4506 .45ACP comes out and into the holster.

My wife is a cop and has been for the last 3 years. She doesn't remember how things were in 1995 when I started.

Anyone else going "old school" or "retro". When I started there were revolvers, Berettas, Smiths and a few Sigs. Who is carrying an old school pistol? Using Retro equipment.

On a side note, I remember that Officer, when I started, who was set in his ways. Carried a certain gun, had his own style. Now I realize I am that guy.............. and I love it.

Last edited by Leightonpd2; 05-21-2011 at 15:18..
Leightonpd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 15:28   #2
JTipper.45

One of our reserves went "retro" after getting his hands on an old Colt Python. I helped him find some duty gear for it and it looks great. He gets alot of attention being the only "wheel gun" guy on the dept. I've kicked around the wheel gun notion a bit. However, If I go through with it I'm thinking of a Smith 625 in .45 ACP, a good set of Houge grips and some night sights. My pitfall will be the leather gear. I'd probably have to have it custom made and have to have a carrier for no less than 3 full moon clips.
Old 05-21-2011, 15:48   #3
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leightonpd2 View Post
After being behind a desk since 2004, I am back in patrol.

Been working in the Housing Area lately.
Housing Area? As in public housing/Housing Authority projects?

Stay safe.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 05-21-2011 at 19:57..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 16:31   #4
CAcop

I carry a Colt 1991A1 with minimal mods including staked front sight in a 6285. Of course the most restro thing about us is that leather or leather looking is required and everybody wears the wool monkey suit except the 30 days of the year it rains or you are one of the special children. We are so cool in 1995.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 17:00   #5
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

I'm going back to third gen Smiths... dunno why, exactly, but for some reason I've been waxing nostalgic for them. I've always (with about a 8 month break for a 6360) carried a SSIII. Love it!

I also just bought a Smith Chief's Special CS9 off gunbroker to carry as a BUG... rocking it circa 1999!

I do still love my Glocks, but sometimes ya just gotta do **** again.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 21:02   #6
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Speaking of 3rd gen Smiths and the SSIII, there are several screaming deals of fleabay now... just bought one of these for $12 shipped and it's nearly new...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAFARILAND-Gun-H...item19c4a7a11f
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 22:08   #7
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I carry a 1911, but it has a light rail. I also wear nylon gear.

I've got a 686 I have always thought about tracking down some leather for. I qualify on it every year or so just to shoot it more than anything else. Wouldn't feel too terribly underequipped with it.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:39   #8
Leightonpd2

Retro works

Housing area. 3:00 AM this morning. Two subjects walking away and I tell them to stop. Both got that look. You know, hunckered down sprinter look. They take off on foot and so do I. Come around the side of a residence. Both look at me and the 4506 makes an appearence with a very polite "please get on the ground". Both comply.

Later on at the PD, one tells me "All I seens was a flash of a big ****in gun."

Guess retro works still
Leightonpd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:59   #9
Arvinator

If I could carry my old Smith & Wesson Model 645 or my old 681 revolver, I would and never look back. I am not a Glock Model 22 fan. I never felt weak with my revolver, and it would be my first pick...
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:51   #10
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
I still am issued a revolver at my current employer (DOC; Ruger GP-100), and like it. We carry it with .38+Ps loaded in it, and two speedloaders. Though we'll also carry a taser sometimes, which makes the rig look interesting, lol.

If I could pick my gear, I wouldn't feel undergunned with a revolver; especially with the newer 7- and 8-shot .357s. They still get the job done, and the Rugers are heavy duty enough to use as a field-expedient baton if needed, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:08   #11
igor

since i started policing in 1971 i guess old schoolo means something different to me. no spedloaders, no ballistic vests ,just dump pouches no portable radios no eltronic sirens,i did have a big stick though.
in 1999 hell in 1996 i had retired once and was working with the university of maryland riding a bike and carrying a sig 228. hey go with retro it is cool