Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2011, 19:19   #76
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

We don't even have binding arbitration. If we reach an impasse we can go to fact finding and mediation, but the mediator's recommendation isn't binding on either party. Somehow we still make it work.

Razdog's hit the main point of collective bargaining again: The pay and benefits are nowhere near the most important things.

Look at this way: In a police department you have people sworn to uphold the rule of law. Should those people's performance of their job duty be more or less free from political interference?

Last edited by Dukeboy01; 04-27-2011 at 19:22..
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:38   #77
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
It's g

You worked for a jail, right? What, some backwoods little hick town that had maybe 40 beds filled on a busy week? I work for the largest jail in my state, with an inmate population greater than most of the towns in your county. Think things might be a little different in the big city, than in the sticks? Think that maybe an agency of 450+ sworn officer has some problems that don't really occur when you have 10 employees or so?
Oh noes.................the dreaded my peepee is bigger than your peepee argument.

Oh before you go all big city popo on me, we were FOP, until we realized they don't do much except take $$$ and we went IBPO. 450 officers would staff 3 of our 6 precincts. We were County PD, also had County SO total well over 2000 sworn.

Guess what....there is no more $$$$, cuts and I mean painful cuts are coming. I've been retired since 2004, thought I had it made, insurance went from 300.00 mo to 800.00 month (my part) it ain't over yet. Why do public sector unions think they don't have to suffer? We all will.

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 20:09   #78
Kahr_Glockman

I just heard that the Democrats in Mass. just voted to cut the collective bargaining rights of the public sector employees. The public sector unions are extremely pissed off. They thought that they had spent enough to keep themselves safe.

Guess not.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:41   #79
Naelbis

Yes..every working man must suffer so the welfare checks can continue to roll out...god forbid that someone has to get a job or starve when they can just hose those who actually work instead...
Naelbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 14:00   #80
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Hay Kadet Klapp, I just wanted to tell you that I agree with a good bit of your posts in this thread. I think you summed up a good bit of the way I feel.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 14:44   #81
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Hay Kadet Klapp, I just wanted to tell you that I agree with a good bit of your posts in this thread. I think you summed up a good bit of the way I feel.
I'm sorry it had to degenerate into name-calling and tongue-lashing, and nothing was accomplished I'm sure. I guess that invisible geographical line separating Indiana and Ohio (and I guess KY) makes working in public safety worlds different than I'm used to. I cannot fathom a union take-over.

I still don't understand what benefit the union provides. If it's not hostage-taking, then what is it? If you aren't allowed by law to strike, then what leg does a union stand on? Someone has to be under "threat" to concede.

When I was working in a UAW shop, we had grievances about safety issues involving failing brakes on our trucks, warning lights not working, inadequate radio systems, etc. Our union stewards were a joke and about as useful as a de-barked chihuahua would be for a guard dog. We had to go thru OSHA to get the problems addressed. OSHA visits are NOT pleasant. They make a managers life hell. After one swoop thru the sub-district from OSHA, things were pretty much cleaned up. I still don't know why I had to pay union dues only to have a taxpayer agency come in and solve the problem.......

Last edited by Kadetklapp; 04-28-2011 at 14:48..
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 22:45   #82
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Local judge orders 9 of his staff to leave the FOP:

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/may/...ion-ar-496486/

Can't say I agree with this...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:22   #83
Naelbis

Quote:

I really don't think that is legal....
Naelbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 20:35   #84
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:

WTF, over?

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...301/1002/rss01
Old 05-22-2011, 06:51   #85
Zut

Just remember that "right to work" typically have much lower taxes and cost of living. I moved to Georgia from Ohio in the early 80's and love it. I make less, but my standard of living is MUCH higher...
Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:06   #86
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
Just remember that "right to work" typically have much lower taxes and cost of living. I moved to Georgia from Ohio in the early 80's and love it. I make less, but my standard of living is MUCH higher...
That's fine in theory, but at no point during these "discussions" has the Governer even suggested that we would see a decrease in taxes.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote