Couple Questions

What I've bought so far to get into reloading:
-Lee Reloading Manual
-Lyman Reloading Manual
-Digital Calipers
-Case tumbler
-Walnut media
-9mm and .38 special dies (carbide)
-Lee Classic Turret Press kit (w/manual scale etc)
-Hand primer Lee
-Primer pocket cleaner (included with LCT)
-Probably something else but I'm spacing out on it

Am I missing anything besides the obvious bullets, primers and powder?

Also how many cases can I put into the tumbler with how much media and for how long?

Thanks for helping the newbie
Bensmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35   #2
XDRoX

Looks like you have everything. Only way to know for sure is to load some rounds

Just fill the tumbler to about 1" or 2" from the top, and then cram in as many cases as you can.

You'll know when the media is bad because it will get all black and take forever to clean the brass. A cap full of nufinish and a cut up dryer sheet (I use a new one in every batch) are the secrets to super shiny, and great smelling brass. The dryer sheet will also help your media to stay good much, much longer.
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:07   #3
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Looks like you have everything. Only way to know for sure is to load some rounds

Just fill the tumbler to about 1" or 2" from the top, and then cram in as many cases as you can.

You'll know when the media is bad because it will get all black and take forever to clean the brass. A cap full of nufinish and a cut up dryer sheet (I use a new one in every batch) are the secrets to super shiny, and great smelling brass. The dryer sheet will also help your media to stay good much, much longer.
I'll disagree w/ the professor a bit on the tumbler. Vibrating tumblers work best if the cases have a little room to manouver. So I fill mine about 2/3 w/ media then turn it on & dump in cases. I want them moving well in the tumbler, cleans them faster. Amount will obvious;y vary by case size & tummbler size. Most will do a couple 100 45acp, 300 9-40.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-11-2011 at 09:19..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15   #4
ColoCG

Congratulations on getting into reloading!

If you haven't already read it the ABC's of Reloading is a very good book for someone getting started, but I'm guessing you have already looked at it. You seem to be well equiped.

You don't really need the Lee hand primer, with the LCT it primes on the upstroke after resizing the case. The Lee Safety Prime works very well mounted on the LCT, It may come with your kit, if you bought it from Kempf's.

That's all I can think of at the moment.enjoy and Good Luck.

Last edited by ColoCG; 04-11-2011 at 09:18.. Reason: comma
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote