SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-13-2011, 14:20   #1
jakebrake
cracker

total newbie...dumb questions.

my dad passed a few years back, and i seem to have inherited his dillon precision loading press. i haven't had much to do with reloading in a long time...i was sort of just hands in the equation.

needless to say, i can't ask him, so, is there a good book or video anyone can recommend to help get me started?
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 14:23   #2
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
my dad passed a few years back, and i seem to have inherited his dillon precision loading press. i haven't had much to do with reloading in a long time...i was sort of just hands in the equation.

needless to say, i can't ask him, so, is there a good book or video anyone can recommend to help get me started?
ABC's of Reloading is a good book. There are tons of videos on youtube.

Last edited by XDRoX; 04-13-2011 at 14:23..
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 14:34   #3
jakebrake
cracker

thanks for the info. i figure with the prices (and shortages) these days, i may as well get started.
Old 04-13-2011, 20:22   #4
fredj338

The ABCs is a good starting point. Dillon also offers a DVD to setup your press. Get two good reloading mnaulas; Lyman & Speer are the best IMO.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 23:09   #5
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
And, since I'm such a nice guy, if you get frustrated and don't wanna fool with it anymore, I'll give ya $175 for the press and accessories.

But really, welcome to the Zoo!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:01   #6
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

I'm glad you plan to learn to use it - your Dad would be happy with that. This is a good place for advice but I agree that you should get a good book and look through it.

This stuff is not rocket science as some might have you belive. After people have been into it awhile, they speak in details which could just serve to confuse you. There are a few stauch rules of which you'll learn in the book. The most important thing is that if you have doubt, stop and ask - there are many people here willing to help.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:55   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Surprised nobody asked yet... What press is it?

All the good instructional/manuals have been mentioned.

Best of luck
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 04-14-2011 at 05:56..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:23   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:

The best manual for the actual process of loading on a Dillon happens to be the Dillon Manual.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html
Old 04-14-2011, 08:00   #9
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
The best manual for the actual process of loading on a Dillon happens to be the Dillon Manual.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

I would say about 95% of the questions that are asked on GT, about a Dillon press; you can find the answer in the instruction manual.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44   #10
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Surprised nobody asked yet... What press is it?

All the good instructional/manuals have been mentioned.

Best of luck
i'm not 100% sure, but i think it's an rl 550. it's probably 10 or 11 years old, though. the handle looks a little different. (got a ball on the end instead of the ends that are there on current presses)

a first i thought square deal, but he reloaded 45-70. i believe square deal need not apply for that.

Last edited by jakebrake; 04-16-2011 at 09:55..
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35   #11
fredj338

Quote:
i'm not 100% sure, but i think it's an rl 550. it's probably 10 or 11 years old, though. the handle looks a little different. (got a ball on the end instead of the ends that are there on current presses)

a first i thought square deal, but he reloaded 45-70. i believe square deal need not apply for that.
If it's manual indexing, it's a 550, great progressive, one of the easiest to get going right away. The Dillon manual is helpful, should answer most of your equip questions. The ABCs & a good reloading manual will answer the rest. The few odd things can be answered on a good forum like this. While not rocket science, missing the little things can get you in trouble quickly.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:40   #12
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
If it's manual indexing, it's a 550, great progressive, one of the easiest to get going right away. The Dillon manual is helpful, should answer most of your equip questions. The ABCs & a good reloading manual will answer the rest. The few odd things can be answered on a good forum like this. While not rocket science, missing the little things can get you in trouble quickly.
just started reading the a.b.c.'s of reloading. the getting you in trouble really quickly is a theme they really want to tell you, up front, and in no uncertain terms.