Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2011, 22:43   #1
cowboy1964

Do new Glocks still bulge .40 brass?

Now that I'm into reloading I'm debating what my next caliber should be.... probably going to be .40 and .357 SIG. More than likely shot from Glocks. How do new Glocks do with regards to bulging .40 brass when shot? I know the barrels had additional support added over the years so has the problem gone away?
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 22:53   #2
hamster
NRA Life Member

I rented a g3 glock27 at the range the other day. I made a point of looking a the brass. It was indeed slightly bulged about 1mm above the bottom. I am not a reloader so i dont know how unusual the bulge is for the cartridge.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 23:14   #3
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Still a slight bulge but I believe the 357 SIG rounds do also.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54   #4
unclebob

It really depends on how hot you load them to. The newer Glocks have a better support than the older Glocks. I never had a problem when I was loading 40 even in a 2 generation Glock. But I did not load hot rounds either.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57   #5
rhino673

Just slightly with my 3rd gen G23 and only with the hotter loads. It's really no big deal at all.
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:03   #6
FLSlim

Out of my G23 (gen3) I find that about 5% of my brass won't slide easily into the case gauge. They will chamber in the Glock, though. Regardless, I run those through a Redding Grx and keep the press rolling.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02   #7
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
Out of my G23 (gen3) I find that about 5% of my brass won't slide easily into the case gauge. They will chamber in the Glock, though. Regardless, I run those through a Redding Grx and keep the press rolling.
Likewise with a Glock 35. I run that 5% through a Lee bulge buster and spare FCD. Never a problem. I also then know that all my rounds will go in a Lone Wolf barrel. A good case gauge is one of the best accessories you can have.
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:34   #8
albyihat

never used a case guage or a bulge buster or grx die. Have fired thousands of reloads through my gen3 g22 the glock bulge is a non issue for me. Just re size correctly and you will be fine, use the bbl. of your gun as a case gauge. All of my reloads also function perfectly in my friends steyr, and XD using brass shot out of my glock. If you are still nervous about it get a bulge buster or grx, but at least try reloading without it before you spend the money.
albyihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44   #9
shotgunred
reloading nut

I have reloaded 10's of thousands of 40 from my 2 gen G23 and through my newer glocks. It never has been a problem for me. I do not try to push the upper velocity limits of the 40 either. I never use anything but my Dillon dies either.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51   #10
Tom in Arizona

Now that you are into reloading Cowboy, you will soon be into brass scrounging if you haven't began already. You should have really no issues if using your own brass with newer Glocks, however if you provide a home for orphaned brass of unknown history like me, the Lee Bulge Buster kits do a good job of rehabilitation.
Tom in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:06   #11
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Arizona View Post
Now that you are into reloading Cowboy, you will soon be into brass scrounging if you haven't began already. You should have really no issues if using your own brass with newer Glocks, however if you provide a home for orphaned brass of unknown history like me, the Lee Bulge Buster kits do a good job of rehabilitation.

And the bulge buster kit is under $16 dollars. Hopefully not a foolhearty over-expenditure type purchase for a reloader.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:23   #12
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

1993 Gen. 2, no bulge buster, no FCD, no problems.
Old 04-15-2011, 15:57   #13
dwhite53

Everything that goes through my G22 (Gen 3) is about 5 percent under average of max loads listed from different component manufacturers. I haven't found a bulged case yet.

All the Best,
D. White
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 18:05   #14
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Now that I'm into reloading I'm debating what my next caliber should be.... probably going to be .40 and .357 SIG. More than likely shot from Glocks. How do new Glocks do with regards to bulging .40 brass when shot? I know the barrels had additional support added over the years so has the problem gone away?
I was shooting my G-22 this afternoon. None of the brass was bulged. All were standard factory loads... Federal Champion 180gr. FMJ and Winchester 165gr. FMJ. Also fired a few Remington 180gr. JHP. I also fired some Tula steel cased ammo. No problems with any of the ammo fired. All of the cases were recovered. Am currently saving the empties so that I can start reloading. it would appear that at least the G-22RTF provides adequate support to prevent any problems with brass.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote