Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2011, 17:44   #1
Zack3467
Zack

Whats a Good Semi Auto for Shooting Reloads?

I have herd glocks dont shoot reloads well. So i was wondering what is a good semi auto pistol for shooting reloads. 9mm, .40, .380. I have been collecting all my brass so i wanna reload it and use it. I dont want to shoot reloads out of anything until i know its ok for the gun
Zack3467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 17:51   #2
unclebob

Don't beleive everything you hear. Will over 100,000+ reloads through Glocks.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-16-2011, 17:53   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

Glocks run reloads as well, or better, than any other gun I can think of. The generous chamber of the stock barrel is what allows them to fit even rounds that are a little too big here and there. FWIW, my Beretta 96 has a chamber even looser than my Glocks and will feed rounds my Glock wouldn't.

It's the aftermarket barrels and their tighter chambers that give people grief.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 18:06   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Yup, Glocks shoot reloads but it's a real PITA reloading Greenie Stick'em Caps. Real guns on the other hand have no problem with reloaded bullets.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 18:25   #5
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I shot 15,000 reloads in my Glocks just last year alone.
Old 04-16-2011, 18:30   #6
Tom in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack3467 View Post
I have herd glocks dont shoot reloads well. So i was wondering what is a good semi auto pistol for shooting reloads. 9mm, .40, .380. I have been collecting all my brass so i wanna reload it and use it. I dont want to shoot reloads out of anything until i know its ok for the gun
I have used quite a few different brands of pistols and have yet to find one that I could not reload ammunition for, Glocks included!
Tom in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 18:39   #7
jolly roger

You can shoot reloads AND hardcast bullets with any reasonable recipe. As a matter of fact my G17 shoots hardcast round nose 125 grain MUCH more accurately than ball ammo. Just clean the barrel good about every 100 rounds or so. Don't believe everything on the net...just this
jolly roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 18:40   #8
Philippe

They dont like reloads using cast lead, Stick with Jacketed and Plated bullets, you'll be fine.
Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 19:38   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
You can shoot reloads AND hardcast bullets with any reasonable recipe. As a matter of fact my G17 shoots hardcast round nose 125 grain MUCH more accurately than ball ammo. Just clean the barrel good about every 100 rounds or so. Don't believe everything on the net...just this
I even shoot soft cast bullets in my Glocks. You might have to tinker a bit with powder and charge, you can't just use a max load of fast powder and expect X ring results, but a little load developement allows me to shoot ammo for the cost of primers and powder alone.

Old 04-16-2011, 23:31   #10
Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
They dont like reloads using cast lead, Stick with Jacketed and Plated bullets, you'll be fine.
Listen and learn!

Glocks have polygonal barrels that do NOT agree with lead bullets. There is a reason Glock recommends against use of lead bullets.

from wiki: One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:03   #11
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I shoot my reloads thru two Glocks, a G22 and G20SF, never had a problem with my reloads.
I shoot hard cast lead, plated and jacketed bullets and the guns are stock except for night sights and afternarket SS guide rod and 20# springs, my reloads are warm.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:48   #12
BENCH

I agree with shooting reloads. I use plated bullets with no problems.
BENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:04   #13
alwaysshootin

Just about every round through my Glocks have been reloads, and 3/4's of my reloads are hard cast lead. My personal experience has been, if a factory Glock barrel, really bulges the brass of manufactured ammo, it might not be a good choice for reloads, but if everything looks normal after first outing, it's time to work on a reload it shoots well. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:51   #14

I don't like to clean barrels any more than the minimal amount. So, I stay away from lead in my stock Glock barrels. The plated Berry bulluts work quite well for me. I have tried the black moly bullets that I use in everything else, but they leave a lot of soft lead in my Glock barrels.

Generally speaking, for every Glock I buy to shoot, I buy an after market barrel. It pays for itself, and I can go several thousand rounds of lead before I feel guilty enough to clean it.

extra two cents:
Wikkipedia is just an online source of information contributed from people just like any forum. It certainly cannot be trusted as a final source of information.
1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo View Post
Listen and learn!

Glocks have polygonal barrels that do NOT agree with lead bullets. There is a reason Glock recommends against use of lead bullets.

from wiki: One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:40   #16
BK63

Oh boy! As Jack would say, we are gonna need more bandwidth
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:42   #17
Smoker

My glock 32 shoots them just fine..
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:13   #18
shotgunred
reloading nut

Lets just get the other big glock myth out there while were at it. Never shoot a glock 40 because it will blow up in your hand.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14   #19
hoffy

To the OP, if you read a good manual(the Lyman is a good first manual) and use jacketed or plated bullets you should have no problems whatsoever. I have owned many Glocks over the years, and performance with cast bullets has been less than spectacular, and I am a long time bullet caster. Cleaning every 100 rounds is not my idea of fun, I am tight, and prefer to shoot my cast bullets, but that is just too much cleaning, when you can shoot thousands of jacketed literally w/o cleaning. I have had a few Glocks that were more accepting of lead, my G-21 in particular. I removed every last trace of copper with harsh solvent and burnished it with moly paste and it ran ok with cast wheel weights, keeping the velocities within reason. the smaller calibers have proven to me to be much more problematic, I have had 4 G-17s and none shot cast well(unless you are willing to get out the lead remover or lead cleaning cloth every 100 rounds or so) . I have seen a Glock barrel ringed, full of lead and followed by hot jacketed ball, ostensibly to blast the lead out, I believe it stuck the case too(I worked in a gun shop when Glocks hit the shores, we had two gunsmiths and people brought us their problems).

All that said, even buying projectiles, you will be saving money, even with 9mms and reloading is a fun (to me ) hobby and it lessens your dependence on logistical anomalies, such as the last panic. And re wiki, it is what it is, good for a quick reference in plain language, but do not rely on it for anything important. Use it in a college class as a reference and you will get flamed, a proff made a girl cry in a class in grad school when he took her to task for using it.Get a good manual, read up, and have fun...... initial cost do not have to be a bunch and you can expand as you go.....
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14   #20
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Lets just get the other big glock myth out there while were at it. Never shoot a glock 40 because it will blow up in your hand.
Not a myth, if it's true!