SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2011, 20:07   #1
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Used a couple Trojans today!

Get your mind out of the gutter... not those kind. I can't believe I even admit to being associated with you degenerates.

I used, shot, my two STI Trojans today. After sitting around here for two months I figured it was about time that they started earning their keep.

The son-in-law, along with one of his buddies who couldn't spell gun if you spotted him the G and the N drove me down the hill where we picked up my little 74 year old shooting buddy Deak and headed to the range.

The first task on the schedule was to sight in both guns from a rest at twenty-five yards. With both the 9 and the .45 it didn't take more than fifteen minutes each and a few turns of a small Smith&Wesson screw driver to put five shot groups into the X-ring off a rest. I really don't think I've ever owned any automatics that have been this accurate out of the box.

I only brought one flavor or .45's with us, 200 grain SWC's over 4 grains of Clays with Wolf primers. The Trojan ate 'em like an Ethiopian at a buffet. No reason to change anything alone those lines. Interested to see how the 225 grain RN over Power Pistol is going to do... just didn't have any with me.

Things didn't go as smooth with the 9. Turns out that almost every primer was set high, high enough that the first hammer strike seated them then the second fired 'em. Unfortunately I really didn't pay attention when I loaded 'em, I just assumed the 1050 priming system was adjusted properly... never assume.

Before people start crying WOLF, WOLF, WOLF... we also fired three-hundred .38 rounds out of Smith models 19 and 586 without a problem. All of those rounds were loaded out of the same small primer brick as the 9's. Unfortunately the primers are so high on the 9's they won't even sit flush on a table top. I'll call Dillon in the next day or two and let them walk me through adjusting the primer depth so it's no big deal.

I did learn one other important lesson today, don't try shooting standing-up if your broken back isn't healed yet... it doesn't work. Even holding on to my walker with one hand didn't keep the shock of recoil from heading right to my back. Two magazines was all I could manage, the rest of the day was spent shooting over the chrono sitting down at the bench and clanging steel. Not a manly way to shoot by any means but the alternative was to stay at home sitting in the recliner. No thanks, I've seen all of that chair I care to see.

All in all in was a very good day. Four hours may have been pushing it right now but if the weather is good next weekend I'll do it again... maybe then I'll be able to stand without the walker.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 20:22   #2
PCJim

What? You missed Talladega?

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear you are feeling up to at least getting out and enjoying the sport. There's nothing sissy about shooting from a chair when you've a broken back. Use the first one to say so as target practice!
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 20:24   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Good to hear you out and about again. Did the 9mm feed your reloads after the fired on the second strike or do you think your gonna need to use a lighter recoil spring?
Old 04-17-2011, 20:34   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Good to hear you out and about again. Did the 9mm feed your reloads after the fired on the second strike or do you think your gonna need to use a lighter recoil spring?

Actually the gun worked fine with both loads I brought. First I tried 4.6 grains of Unique with a cast 120 TC. Gun functioned fine and accuracy was pretty damn good.

Then I ran through a couple hundred 120 TC over 4.8 of Unique. I think I like that a little better. Accuracy might have been a smidgen better, hard to tell yet with a new gun but they were a little more fun to shoot without beating up my hand. Considerably less recoil than the .45 and the load smacks the hell out of swinging steel.

Once I get the priming situation worked out I think all will be well. Billy is taking to the .45 like a duck to water... started hitting 4 inch steel, at 25, offhand in big wind right off the bat. Had to threaten him just to get the gun back to chrono.

Jack

Old 04-17-2011, 20:35   #5
jbrown13

Jack glad you're back shooting. Would you mind telling me how long it took to get the Trojans. I've had one on order since 2/14, and the projected lead time was 18 weeks. I'm hoping I might see it before June.

Thanks,
Jeff
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 20:56   #6
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Jack glad you're back shooting. Would you mind telling me how long it took to get the Trojans. I've had one on order since 2/14, and the projected lead time was 18 weeks. I'm hoping I might see it before June.

Thanks,
Jeff
Anything Jack tells you about shipping times will be inaccurate for you. Everyone ships his stuff immediately because they're afraid he'll get bumped off by a rogue Dillon 1050 and they'll just get it sent back to them.
Old 04-17-2011, 21:00   #7
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Sounds like a good time Jack, glad you made it out man. Those Trojans are some fine pistols!
Old 04-17-2011, 21:01   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Jeff, got both of them from Brazos Firearms. Called on a Monday about the .45, they had it in stock but the whole shop was in Orlando for the week at a shoot. They shipped it the following Tuesday and it got to my FFL the next day. Unfortunately I was in the hospital when it arrived.

When I ordered the 9 one was already expected by the end of the month from STI. There was a delay of some sort from STI and it ended up taking about 5 or 6 weeks to come in.

If you order directly from STI I believe the lead time is quite a bit longer... seems that way.

Jack

Old 04-17-2011, 21:19   #9
shotgunred
reloading nut

You just need to load up some nice bunny farts for the 9mm and leave the 45 alone for a while.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:21   #10
norton

Sounds like you had a good time.
On Saturday I got out to the outdoor range and was prepared to fire .38, .45ACP and .40
I started to load the magazine on the Glock 35 and something didn't feel right. Slapped it into the pistol, took the first shot-next round didn't feed.
Dropped the magazine and took a good look. I had picked up my 9mm (Glock 17) mag.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03   #11
FLSlim

Good to see that you hit the range. I hope things continue to improve with you, Jack! It seems hard to top STI "out of the box" accuracy.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06   #12
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

25 yards? Pfffft.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14   #13
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Billy is taking to the .45 like a duck to water... started hitting 4 inch steel, at 25, offhand in big wind right off the bat. Had to threaten him just to get the gun back to chrono.

Jack
"The steel was THIS SMALL"

Billy said while standing in front of a Barn with a bunch of .45 holes in it.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10   #14
Gunnut 45/454

Jack
And here I thought you got "Lucky" with that UPS girl! Good to hear you got out and flexed your trigger finger atleast!

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 04-18-2011 at 10:10..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:51   #15
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Jack
And here I thought you got "Lucky" with that UPS girl! Good to hear you got out and flexed your trigger finger atleast!
Due to sexual harassment she had to be transferred to a different route. By some old guy that lives up in the mountains. I think his name was Jack something. At least that was the rumor that I heard.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-18-2011, 14:28   #16
shotgunred
reloading nut

It is only sexual harassment if she doesn't like it and complains.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 13:28   #17
Gunnut 45/454

unclebob
I heard it has something to do with that thin mountain air! Or it could be him running around butt naked! Dam hippies !
Old 04-20-2011, 14:00   #18
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Or it could be him running around butt naked! Dam hippies !
If that were the case? I understand that she still would be laughing?
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-20-2011, 14:04   #19
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
I just can't understand why a UPS driver would be mad about Tom Selleck flirting with her...
Old 04-20-2011, 15:16   #20
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I will have you three wise asses know that she was quite smitten by the Tom Selleck identical look-a-like. Short of an actual physical advance she pretty much did every thing she could to hint that she wanted me to ask her out.

She made no secret about how her ex-boyfriend, or husband, I can't remember which, taught her how to load and shoot and even went so far as insisting on carrying the deliveries into the loading room and one time offering to come back after work and help me load.

She was not the problem, I was the problem... never had the nerve to take her up on her hints or offer. Lets face it, I'm very pragmatic... if I was a woman I sure as hell wouldn't date me.

Jack