SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2011, 16:49   #1
biggaluka

g17 147 gr self defense ammo

Hello everyone outhere:
Im new to this forum but not new to glock, Im been told that for smaller barrels like 3 in or less the faster the bullet like 115 maybe 124 are better but the 17 is 4,49 will this help the heavier 147gr bullet to develop enough punch power? The other issue that have call my concern is that on the glock web Sgt, Gunny mention that he does not understand why the Gov has gone for over 25 yrs with the 9mm he is a fanatic of the 1911, wich Iknow is a very honorable equipment but especially he mention that one torso shot of 45 is 100% guarantee to stop an assailant vs maybe 3 of 9mm what is this gentleman talking about? 75% of the world carry and use 9mm guns not only cse price,availability,weight,placement and last assortments of weight and bullets can anyone tell me should I trow away my 17,pps and mpc9mm, thanks a lot.
biggaluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 16:53   #2
PaLEOjd

Maybe it's me but I don't undertand what you are saying......Where are you finding videos on the Glock webiste? Yes throw them away. PM me for disposal.

Last edited by PaLEOjd; 04-18-2011 at 16:55..
PaLEOjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 17:00   #3
gommer

There is no such thing as a guaranteed one stop shot, that's just silly.

I don't know why any website would deliver such drivel.

Shot placement is key. You hit someone in the heart with a 9mm and you will see the same result had you used a .45.

I've seen a reference made several times to an article where an officer shot a suspect 5 times at point blank with a .357 only to have the suspect then return fire with a .22.

The Officer took a few steps and died, the suspect survived.

No, the Officer did not miss. The suspect managed to get a shot in that went under the Officers arm and penetrated a major artery.

I can't say that I've gone around testing the rounds on people - but I've certainly had my experiences with handgun rounds and wildlife.

I wouldn't trust a 9mm to take down a bear - but equally I would not expect a .44 to instantly stop a rabid dog. I've experienced that first hand - loading two rounds into a rabid dog that ended up biting me anyway. In a similar situation I unloaded a 357 into a dog that was already attacking me and it managed to keep biting me several times.

I carry a 9 for EDC - I wouldn't be tossing away my G17 because some guy on the internet said the .45 is a better SD round.

Is it a more powerful round? Well, yeah - but there is no degree of dead and either one can make a person very dead.

I don't know the answer the the former part of your question, but I'm sure some much more knowledgeable individual will chime in with ballistics charts and power points.
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 17:31   #4
ergon

I've got one for you. Two to the chest and one to the head. He want care what caliber it was.
Old 04-18-2011, 20:54   #5
biggaluka

feel the same way

[QUOTE=gommer;17232709]There is no such thing as a guaranteed one stop shot, that's just silly.

I don't know why any website would deliver such drivel.

Shot placement is key. You hit someone in the heart with a 9mm and you will see the same result had you used a .45.

I've seen a reference made several times to an article where an officer shot a suspect 5 times at point blank with a .357 only to have the suspect then return fire with a .22.

The Officer took a few steps and died, the suspect survived.

No, the Officer did not miss. The suspect managed to get a shot in that went under the Officers arm and penetrated a major artery.

I can't say that I've gone around testing the rounds on people - but I've certainly had my experiences with handgun rounds and wildlife.

I wouldn't trust a 9mm to take down a bear - but equally I would not expect a .44 to instantly stop a rabid dog. I've experienced that first hand - loading two rounds into a rabid dog that ended up biting me anyway. In a similar situation I unloaded a 357 into a dog that was already attacking me and it managed to keep biting me several times.

I carry a 9 for EDC - I wouldn't be tossing away my G17 because some guy on the internet said the .45 is a better SD round.

Is it a more powerful round? Well, yeah - but there is no degree of dead and either one can make a person very dead.

I don't know the answer the the former part of your question, but I'm sure some much more knowledgeable individual will chime in with ballistics charts and power points. [/been shooting 9mm for over 35 yrs and will not change it for anything have tried 40 but
is not been used in any other country than here and box of 40 is about $5 more .lots of dpts have drop it and gone back to 9 or 45 for qualified personnel thanks for yre reply
Old 04-18-2011, 20:59   #6
WA Glocker

Like many said before in caliber threads, the only "one shot stop" is one that his a vital organ.
WA Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 22:41   #7
chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA Glocker View Post
Like many said before in caliber threads, the only "one shot stop" is one that his a vital organ.
and the gold pp7 from goleneye
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46   #8
rick458
USS Texas BB-35

I carry 147 Speer Gold Dots in my G-17, 147 Ranger Ts are also very good performers in the tests.
There is no magical hand gun round, there was a female deputy the took a .357 to the heart point blank, and was able to draw and kill her attacker, she survived the encounter.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04   #9
SouthernBoyVA

Those times that I carry my 3G G19 or my Kahr K9 Elite '03, I load them with Federal 147 gr +P HST most often. If it's the Kahr PM9 that leaves the house with me, I tend to use the 124gr +P HST most of the time (there are other, similar loads in my stable but you get the picture). Generally speaking, the lighter bullets do better in shorter barrels because there is not enough time and barrel length for the expanding gases to overcome the inertia of a heavier bullet in order to reach optimum velocities. Longer barrels give more of this luxury and increase your selection choice.

Where larger caliber bullets have an advantage is in penetration and the fact that due to their increased size if they expand as designed, they have a better chance to cut, tear, and disrupt tissues, vessels, and organs as they traverse the target. However, as previous members have pointed out, shot placement is first on the list.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39   #10
biggaluka

thanks Rick for youre reply.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46   #11
biggaluka

thank you southern boy, I have read reports on the fed, hst to be very efective but here in Miami is nowhere to be found and in the gunshow people want it crazy prices for the 50 rn box something like 38 or $40per box crazy crazy my main concern was for ballistic of 147 on the 4.45 barrel wich I think is long enough to develop speed and punching power I use 124+p gold dots on my pps and for range time either 115 any brand or 124 gecos,thanks you very much.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:05   #12
triggerjerk

http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.ph...216&pd=2241009
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 14:31   #13
biggaluka

thanks a lot for the site great price, thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 18:03   #14
DonGlock26

9mm Stopping power explained in 28 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzkjXBYrqs

1:12-1:40
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

Last edited by DonGlock26; 04-19-2011 at 18:03..
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49   #15
esminbritt
Elias

I'm trying to clear up my confusion.

I have recently got a Gen 4 G17. I am now choosing SD ammo. I want to make a good initial choice since I want to shoot at least 200 rounds to ensure it feeds well. I cant afford to blow 500 bucks on ammo comparisons. I realize the comparison of slower heavy loads vs. lighter faster loads is very debatable. I have read quite a bit on the different schools of thought it seems to make more sense to go with the heavier load. I found a good deal on Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP. I want something heavier since 9mm rounds are on the smaller end of the spectrum as it is. And since I have a 4.49" barrel, I think I can run the heavier load. Expansion seems reliable on newer ammo. I am still open to running lighter loads, but I don't want to run hot loads. I do not want to put additional wear on the weapon from using +P or +P+ rounds. I definitely realize that shot placement is of paramount importance. Any thoughts?
esminbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 16:48   #16
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esminbritt View Post
I have recently got a Gen 4 G17. I am now choosing SD ammo. I want to make a good initial choice since I want to shoot at least 200 rounds to ensure it feeds well. I cant afford to blow 500 bucks on ammo comparisons. I realize the comparison of slower heavy loads vs. lighter faster loads is very debatable. I have read quite a bit on the different schools of thought it seems to make more sense to go with the heavier load. I found a good deal on Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP. I want something heavier since 9mm rounds are on the smaller end of the spectrum as it is. And since I have a 4.49" barrel, I think I can run the heavier load. Expansion seems reliable on newer ammo. I am still open to running lighter loads, but I don't want to run hot loads. I do not want to put additional wear on the weapon from using +P or +P+ rounds. I definitely realize that shot placement is of paramount importance. Any thoughts?
Buy the GS and forget about it. You'll be fine.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 18:00   #17
cowboy1964

Ballistic differences between the best 9mm JHPs are miminal. More important is how they feel/shoot. Surprisingly 124+P (and even Ranger 127 +P+) has really no more felt recoil than 147s. I prefer velocity over weight in smaller calibers. If I wanted subsonic I'd just go .45. But that's just a personal bias thing.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 04-27-2011 at 18:01..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 23:37   #18
cole

I prefer heavy-for-caliber. 147gr Gold Dots run in all my 9mms. And, 9mm will get it done very well if you do you part. The heavier 230gr .45acp is better, but with tradeoffs. Can't get something for nothing. The 9mm offeres smaller size, higher capacity and greater control. A great package IMO.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:32   #19
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggaluka View Post
he mention that one torso shot of 45 is 100% guarantee to stop an assailant vs maybe 3 of 9mm what is this gentleman talking about?
Gunny is talking Military ball ammo where the 45acp does have a nice edge but we can use jhp ammo where the playing field is level. Also Gunny is far from a ballistic expert and more of a old salesman that's still living back in Vietnam. The 45acp will not deliver 1 shot kills, there is people that survived hits in Vietnam and Iraq with AK's and even survived stepping on mines and getting blown threw the air. I don't like the 147gr ammo in 9mm, I prefer the 124gr +P loads
Old 04-28-2011, 13:17   #20
esminbritt
Elias

Thanks y'all. I appreciate your input. I know this thread could go on forever-it probably will in one place or another-but I would like to get your feedback on another option. I found Fiocchi 147gr XTP Hollow Point rounds for a real good deal. Any thoughts on those. I read something about a recall on Fiocchi ammo but it wasn't caliber specific.
Old 04-28-2011, 15:27   #21
dkf

Double

Last edited by dkf; 04-29-2011 at 07:33..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 15:27   #22
dkf

Federal HST in 147 grain is a good round if you prefer heavier bullets. Pretty much any Federal HST round works well for that matter.
Old 04-28-2011, 19:42   #23
esminbritt
Elias

OK. bear with me here...this is my first handgun experience. Lots of rifle time but after putting a couple hundred rounds through my G17 tonight, i realize that pistols are a different beast. Obviously, I'm hooked like a junkie. I wish I had a range in my house. I put my first rounds through tonight. But I did have one FTF. It was a Golden Saber 147 gr. JHP. I shot 100 GS total. My FTF came early, after 30 or so rounds. I was probably limp wristing it. Or maybe it needed breaking in. Or maybe it was just a fluke...but it ain't the kind of fluke I like. Especially when I'm dropping decent money into selecting a good SD round. After the GS, I put 100 cheap 115 gr. FMJ rounds through and no problems. I am leaning toward changing to a different hollow point (lighter or just a different brand 147 gr.) I realize that the golden Saber is probably not to blame. I was most likely just holding the dang thing wrong, but I still can't help but question the load. On the plus side, I did shoot pretty tight groupings at 20 yards and loved every minute of it. All in all, had fun on my first time at a short range.
Old 04-28-2011, 22:58   #24
esminbritt
Elias

What do you think about Federal HST +p 147 gr. through my Glock 17? I couldn't find Federal HST 147 gr. in standard pressure. I have heard that +p loads put additional stress on the pistol. I would like to think that a Glock could take the stress but maybe not/
Old 04-29-2011, 07:35   #25
dkf

Your G17 can handle as much 147+P as you can afford to put through it. The extra velocity with the +p will not hurt with that heavy 147gr bullet.