Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2011, 15:21   #1
Shadetreeman

Brass Segregate

How do you guys mark or keep up with first shot brass to 2<SUP>nd</SUP> or 3<SUP>rd</SUP>, if you do at all.
Criminals love unarmed citizens 2A
Shadetreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 15:24   #2
Roughedgekid
Old Fart

I check it and if its not split it gets loaded again . It all go'es in the same bucket for pistol brass, rifle brass gets a little better treatment.

Last edited by Roughedgekid; 04-19-2011 at 15:25..
Roughedgekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 15:42   #3
PCJim

It's pretty easy to segregate bottleneck brass - keep each shot lot together in a baggie or similar container with a record of the number of times it has been fired. Easy Peasy.

Straightwalled pistol - why bother?
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 16:26   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I start with virgin brass, be it revolver or pistol. After the first loading each case is visually inspected then with a set of both calipers and micrometer all measurements are taken and recorded; case length, rim width and thickness, inside wall diameter at the case mouth and at the web.

After that has been completed each case is inscribed with an electric pencil on the case head indicating the number of times it has been loaded; 1, 11, 111, 1111, etc. Once marked all like cases are stored in airtight containers according to headstamp and number of loadings.

I find this system to be very effective and in no way an intrusion on my everyday life since I'm usually watching HBO while the grandkids are doing all the work.

Before they were born I scrounged brass where ever it could be found and loaded it until it split, (then twice more), or I lost it.

You'll have to decide what system will work best for you.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 18:08   #5
shotgunred
reloading nut

I do it the same way the guys who sell it do. If it as a piece of lead in it its virgin brass. If it is empty its once fired brass.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 20:02   #6
themighty9mm

With pistol brass I have always read shoot till it splits or gets lost. So far what I have done.
Rifle brass it where it gets fuzzy for me. So far I have yet to reload for rifle. Really have no idea how many times is ok. I have read very mmixed things. Some say only a few times other I have read till it splits. It seems that since its a much higher presur thing you might want to be more cautious.

To go along with that I also reload mixed head stamps with pistol. Not sure if its ok with rifle aswell. Things like LC cases and PMC cases. Seems the LC would generate higher presur
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 20:36   #7
misfit356tsw

Segregation is bad.
mrsmisfit on the Sewing Forum: You know what really irks me today my husband said again that he doesn't like vanilla ice cream. He keeps saying it and it hurts my feelings! I'm sick and tired of doing his dishes and he wont even rinse them out first!
misfit356tsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 20:44   #8
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
I start with virgin brass, be it revolver or pistol. After the first loading each case is visually inspected then with a set of both calipers and micrometer all measurements are taken and recorded; case length, rim width and thickness, inside wall diameter at the case mouth and at the web.

After that has been completed each case is inscribed with an electric pencil on the case head indicating the number of times it has been loaded; 1, 11, 111, 1111, etc. Once marked all like cases are stored in airtight containers according to headstamp and number of loadings.

I find this system to be very effective and in no way an intrusion on my everyday life since I'm usually watching HBO while the grandkids are doing all the work.

Before they were born I scrounged brass where ever it could be found and loaded it until it split, (then twice more), or I lost it.

Jack
You never cease to amaze me....
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 13:31   #9
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

That's pretty good, Jack. I use a pipe cutter to make a ring around the case each time I load it. Then you just count the rings...
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:38   #10
Shadetreeman

Well..... I guess that answered my question.

Last edited by Shadetreeman; 04-22-2011 at 05:39..
Old 04-22-2011, 06:37   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post

Jack
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49   #12
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Call me a spendthrift, but I think 1100 times is just too many...
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:55   #13
cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
...Straightwalled pistol - why bother?
This for me.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 15:37   #14
m2hmghb

Depends what loads I shoot. If I'm shooting loads that are near max in 40 cal I mark it with a sharpie, different color for different firing. After 5x I throw them in the recycling bin. I use the same for 30-06 brass as well.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 00:14   #15
jadedragon

Not worth the time with pistol brass. You should be looking at each piece of brass you put into your press anyway. That's when you decide to use it or not. Not how many times it's been fired. Tracking standard velocity straight wall cases may make you feel better but be warned I've seen even once fired pistol brass fail and on the flip side I know I have 9mm and .45 brass I've fired at least 5 or 6 times. Now if you are talking about rifle brass then that's a subject for a whole nuther thread.
jadedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 00:49   #16
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedragon View Post
Not worth the time with pistol brass. You should be looking at each piece of brass you put into your press anyway. That's when you decide to use it or not. Not how many times it's been fired. Tracking standard velocity straight wall cases may make you feel better but be warned I've seen even once fired pistol brass fail and on the flip side I know I have 9mm and .45 brass I've fired at least 5 or 6 times. Now if you are talking about rifle brass then that's a subject for a whole nuther thread.
I feel the same way. I tumble my brass, visually inspect each piece, check the suspect pieces with dial calipers, and what I don't want in my press or pistol goes in the garbage. I don't mark or seperate brass after each use.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:28   #17
Shadetreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter7 View Post
I feel the same way. I tumble my brass, visually inspect each piece, check the suspect pieces with dial calipers, and what I don't want in my press or pistol goes in the garbage. I don't mark or seperate brass after each use.
That’s pretty much what I do now, just seeing how some others do.