SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2011, 23:41   #1
Montezuma

G21: Trade for G17 RTF2?

Hey Mas,

You were really helpful before when I asked about the 9mm vs the .45 glocks, so here is another question in that vein for you, mostly copied and pasted from General Glocking -

So I currently own a G21 with a pair of Ameriglo Hackathorns on it that I like very much. However, my budget for firearms is looking pretty tight in the future, so I am thinking about consolidating to 9mm. I also own a G19.

My buddy (who also posts here on Glocktalk) owns a G17RTF2 with stock plastic sights that we have been talking about swapping for. I am very much on the fence.

On the one hand, 9mm is much cheaper and I have a good OWB holster that would fit it already. I could also share mags with the G19 for the range. I also like the RTF frame, and have a rear sight (Warren competition) that would fit on the 17 as well. 9mm would also allow me to practice more as it is cheaper, and like I said, my gun budget is going to be tight for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, I *do* like .45 and the 21, and could probably pick up .45 cheap now and then (Tula and Wolf and such I have seen for ~14/50rds online). It also makes a great house gun. Additionally it is worth more than the 17 and has a really good pair of night sights on it that I wouldn't be able to swap out. I also am not sure if the 17 will shoot much differently than the 19, and am thinking it might just be worth it to shoot the casual IPSC/IDPA match with the 19 and become more proficient with that and wait to buy a 34 instead, and enjoy the 21 at the range from time to time, as well as carry it during the winter OWB for a powerful OWB carry piece.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 20:35   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

It's a highly personal decision, bro, but as much as I like the G17 RTF2, I'd be inclined to stay with the G19 and the G21. Having a 9mm AND a .45 simply gives you more options.

While I personally shoot a wee bit better with my G17s than I do with my G19, that isn't true of everyone and may not be true of you. I've seen Dave ("Super Dave") Harrington kick major butt with his Glock 19 against folks running G17s and G34s, and Mike Ross, a major player in Master class GSSF shooting, tells me he prefers the G19 over his longer slide Glocks even for competition. For him, the shorter slide 9mm comes back on target quicker.

Your call, and you probably won't go wrong either way. They're all fine guns.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 19:29   #3
Montezuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
It's a highly personal decision, bro, but as much as I like the G17 RTF2, I'd be inclined to stay with the G19 and the G21. Having a 9mm AND a .45 simply gives you more options.

While I personally shoot a wee bit better with my G17s than I do with my G19, that isn't true of everyone and may not be true of you. I've seen Dave ("Super Dave") Harrington kick major butt with his Glock 19 against folks running G17s and G34s, and Mike Ross, a major player in Master class GSSF shooting, tells me he prefers the G19 over his longer slide Glocks even for competition. For him, the shorter slide 9mm comes back on target quicker.

Your call, and you probably won't go wrong either way. They're all fine guns.

best,
Mas
Thanks Mas. I ended up deciding that having a .45 for winter carry and as a house pistol was worthwhile enough for me to keep it. Connecticut does get cold, so .45 might be a reassuring option for carry. That, and there is something magical about throwing a 230gr projectile downrange - .45 just feels right.

I'll stick to shooting my 19 and assorted .22s for most practice and put together a fund on the side to buy .45 in bulk when I get the chance. I think the 19 will do me just fine for the casual level of competition I plan on doing. If I do ever decide to get more seriously into it, I'll purchase a 34.

one last question - do you have any holsters for the Glock 21 that you would recommend? preferably OWB and built for a G21+TLR-1 weaponlight.
Montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:50   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I've had good luck with Blade-Tech and Galco for that, though a holster carrying a gun+light package is going to be bulkier and harder to conceal than one carrying just a gun.
best,
mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote