GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 21:21   #1
robinsok
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,231
Send a message via AIM to robinsok
.223 Velocities with 55 Grain bullets

So i'm looking at a new scope for my 16 inch AR. I have about decided on a Nikon with Bullet Drop Compensation. Here is the thread about it.. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336591

So the guy there from Nikon Pro Staff tells me that the scope is calibrated for a 55 grain at 3240 fps. I don't own a chrono, although i would love to have one at some point. I do have a buddy who has one that i can probably get to shoot a few rounds through at some point.

I typically load plinking loads, with 55 grain fmj's over 23.5 grains of H335.

Is it feasible for me to reach that 3240 number safely? I know i am not even close to that now, even though i have never chronoed my loads.

Also, assuming i work up closer to max, how much difference in drop would i expect to see if i am lower than the velocity that they have that scope calibrated for. I would just like to make my loads match the scope as well as I can make them.
robinsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 21:30   #2
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.
 
Patrick Graham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kokomo Indiana
Posts: 5,458


Out of a 16 inch Barrel 3050 is a more reasonable goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsok View Post
So i'm looking at a new scope for my 16 inch AR. I have about decided on a Nikon with Bullet Drop Compensation. Here is the thread about it.. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336591

So the guy there from Nikon Pro Staff tells me that the scope is calibrated for a 55 grain at 3240 fps. I don't own a chrono, although i would love to have one at some point. I do have a buddy who has one that i can probably get to shoot a few rounds through at some point.

I typically load plinking loads, with 55 grain fmj's over 23.5 grains of H335.

Is it feasible for me to reach that 3240 number safely? I know i am not even close to that now, even though i have never chronoed my loads.

Also, assuming i work up closer to max, how much difference in drop would i expect to see if i am lower than the velocity that they have that scope calibrated for. I would just like to make my loads match the scope as well as I can make them.
__________________
Never feed a cat anything that isn't the same color as the carpet.
Patrick Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 21:47   #3
robinsok
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,231
Send a message via AIM to robinsok
I kind of thought that sounded a little high. Any idea how much difference in POA/POI would be, assuming those two velocities? 3050 and 3240?
robinsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 21:51   #4
PCJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 2,944
I think you'll need a 20" barrel to obtain those velocities. From what I've read, that is the barrel length the military uses for their ballastics standards.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 21:55   #5
PCJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsok View Post
I kind of thought that sounded a little high. Any idea how much difference in POA/POI would be, assuming those two velocities? 3050 and 3240?
Once you know the actual average velocity from your rifle, you can go to published ballistics tables to find the drop and compare to the scope's calibration.

You can also compensate somewhat by your sight-in distance. If the scope is normally sighted in at 100yds for using the milldot recticle, sight in at 150yds instead. The difference in POA/POI will be minimal out to 200 yds, maybe further.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 20:15   #6
chemcmndr
Senior Member
 
chemcmndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 802
I don't have my load data with me, but just an off the top of my head value. I've started loading for .223, and with a 20" barrel, I've settled on a load with about 22.8 grains of AA2230 and I've chronographed the loads at right around 3100 fps. Factory .223 was about the same. If I remember correctly, this load was on the low-mid level of powder, so I would think that with a 20" barrel, 3200 fps is obtainable.
chemcmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 20:36   #7
robinsok
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,231
Send a message via AIM to robinsok
I don't own a 20 inch gun. Just 16. I'll probably load mine up a little hotter than i currently do and see how well it matches the BDC in the Nikon. I may actually end up going with the Rapid Action Turret model instead of the BDC built into the reticle.
robinsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 21:14   #8
chemcmndr
Senior Member
 
chemcmndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 802
Yeah, I sold off my 16" Bushmaster before I got a chrono, so I haven't really ran any .223 from a 16" barrel. All I have hard data on would be the 20" and 11.5".
chemcmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 21:24   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan
 
Boxerglocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsok View Post
So i'm looking at a new scope for my 16 inch AR. I have about decided on a Nikon with Bullet Drop Compensation. Here is the thread about it.. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336591

So the guy there from Nikon Pro Staff tells me that the scope is calibrated for a 55 grain at 3240 fps. I don't own a chrono, although i would love to have one at some point. I do have a buddy who has one that i can probably get to shoot a few rounds through at some point.

I typically load plinking loads, with 55 grain fmj's over 23.5 grains of H335.

Is it feasible for me to reach that 3240 number safely? I know i am not even close to that now, even though i have never chronoed my loads.

Also, assuming i work up closer to max, how much difference in drop would i expect to see if i am lower than the velocity that they have that scope calibrated for. I would just like to make my loads match the scope as well as I can make them.
Are you going for that Nikon M-223 1-4x20??? I've been looking at that one too. I was thinking of doing the research after I get my new TAC 55 Horandy FMJBT load chronoed.
__________________
Glock 3rd Gen G19/G34, 4th Gen G17 FDE, G26,
Dillon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16   #10
SilentVectorX
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 66
You should be able to reach around 3100fps max, on a good day, if you really work up the load (somewhere around 26.4gr, compressed!), depending on your brass and chamber.

Here's the ballistics (drop in inches).
Code:
Range(yards)__________________50_yd____100_yd___150_yd___200_yd___250_yd__300_yd___350_yd___400_yd___450_yd___500_yd__
3104FPS_100_yd__Zero__________-0.5______X_______-0.7_____-2.7_____-6.4____-11.8____-19.4____-29.8____-43.3____-60.2___
3250FPS_100_yd__Zero__________-0.5______X_______-0.6_____-2.3_____-5.4____-10.3____-16.9____-25.9____-37.8____-52.8___

Last edited by SilentVectorX; 04-23-2011 at 08:36..
SilentVectorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51   #11
Hoser
Mall Ninja
 
Hoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,365
I have found a real good accuracy node around 3050 with the Hornady 55 FMJs using Varget and Benchmark. That is with a 16 inch Wilson, mid length gas and a LaRue OBR-Lite upper.

I only have one 20 inch gun and all I shoot is 77 and 80 gn bullets out of it.

If you want max velocity, try TAC. Kinda dirty though.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:30   #12
robinsok
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,231
Send a message via AIM to robinsok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Are you going for that Nikon M-223 1-4x20??? I've been looking at that one too. I was thinking of doing the research after I get my new TAC 55 Horandy FMJBT load chronoed.
I was looking at the 1-4X, but I am now leaning toward the 2-8. I had the other thread in the optics forum about it but I already have a close quarters gun with an aimpoint. So on this one I want low magnification on the low side of the magnification range but want something that can still reach out to 300-400 yards. I know its kind of a compromise asking it to do everything from 10 to 400 yards, but with some of the new optics out now they can do pretty well at both. I've been trying to find someone who has tried shooting up close with a 2X to see how well it works.
robinsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:32   #13
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan
 
Boxerglocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer View Post
If you want max velocity, try TAC. Kinda dirty though.
Hozer really?! I just bought 8#s, everyone I talked to prior said it was great, meters well and clean particularly with heavier bullets. What are your thoughts?
__________________
Glock 3rd Gen G19/G34, 4th Gen G17 FDE, G26,
Dillon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 04-23-2011 at 22:50..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:35   #14
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan
 
Boxerglocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsok View Post
I was looking at the 1-4X, but I am now leaning toward the 2-8. I had the other thread in the optics forum about it but I already have a close quarters gun with an aimpoint. So on this one I want low magnification on the low side of the magnification range but want something that can still reach out to 300-400 yards. I know its kind of a compromise asking it to do everything from 10 to 400 yards, but with some of the new optics out now they can do pretty well at both. I've been trying to find someone who has tried shooting up close with a 2X to see how well it works.
Everyone at our TAC rifle matches uses a 1 - 4 if they go magnified. I can't afford the Aimpoint or other offereings at the $800 to $1200 range. I'll be doing a few classes and one course in particular said no more than 1 -4 for thier urban class.
__________________
Glock 3rd Gen G19/G34, 4th Gen G17 FDE, G26,
Dillon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:39   #15
Hoser
Mall Ninja
 
Hoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Hozer really?! I just bought 8#s, everyone I talked to preior said it was great, meters well and clean particularly with heavier bullets. What are your thoughts?
Dirty when compared to Varget, Benchmark and N135.

When you use it with heavies, it is a little cleaner with the higher pressures.

And it does meter like water. Good stuff. I just dont use heavies anymore.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 14:58   #16
390ish
Senior Member
 
390ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,187
A lot of people just don't get how accurate Hornady 55 fmj bullets are. It is one heck of a projectile. I shoot it with AA2230.

I have a couple of those Nikon M-223 scopes. I like the ones with the 1/4 minute adjustments over the BDC set at 3240. Lets me come up with my own drop tables for the loads that shoot best out of my rifles. I like Nikon scopes. Good luck.
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 15:01   #17
Hoser
Mall Ninja
 
Hoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
A lot of people just don't get how accurate Hornady 55 fmj bullets are. It is one heck of a projectile.
UPS dropped off 24,000 bullets (four cases) for me a few weeks ago.

About the only bullet I shoot in my 223 gas guns anymore.

Last edited by Hoser; 04-24-2011 at 06:43..
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 19:51   #18
bman940
Nikon Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 21
Rob., I think the 2-8 sounds a little more like what you want as far as preformance. The BDC 600 Reticle will let you go to Nikonhunting.com, click on the Spot On logo and you can enter your load data there to get more exact distances for each BDC circle if you are shooting bleow suggested 3240 fps MV. I have used the Nikon M-223 BDC scope with friends and we have made consistant hitas at 600 yards. THe Spot On site is FREE and even allows you enter wind for a R/L correction. Nikon has the big promotion on the M-223 scopes right now, buy one from a participating dealer and get a free M-223 mount at the time of purchase, that'll save you about $99 !
I usually shoot .223 ammo rated at 3240 fps, I have 2 16 in. AR and a 20 in. AR , surprisingly when I'm shooting at 10 inch steel plates, I can ping the plate with both rifles. One of these days I'll get a chronograph on them to see what the velocity difference truly is.
Drop me a note if you have any questions.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
__________________
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 22:54   #19
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan
 
Boxerglocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Rob., I think the 2-8 sounds a little more like what you want as far as preformance. The BDC 600 Reticle will let you go to Nikonhunting.com, click on the Spot On logo and you can enter your load data there to get more exact distances for each BDC circle if you are shooting bleow suggested 3240 fps MV. I have used the Nikon M-223 BDC scope with friends and we have made consistant hitas at 600 yards. THe Spot On site is FREE and even allows you enter wind for a R/L correction. Nikon has the big promotion on the M-223 scopes right now, buy one from a participating dealer and get a free M-223 mount at the time of purchase, that'll save you about $99 !
I usually shoot .223 ammo rated at 3240 fps, I have 2 16 in. AR and a 20 in. AR , surprisingly when I'm shooting at 10 inch steel plates, I can ping the plate with both rifles. One of these days I'll get a chronograph on them to see what the velocity difference truly is.
Drop me a note if you have any questions.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
Bart,

What is the process for getting the FREE mount. I want to buy it from Midway but they are out. Is the a redemption form I can download and mail in to have it shipped to me?
__________________
Glock 3rd Gen G19/G34, 4th Gen G17 FDE, G26,
Dillon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 23:57   #20
bman940
Nikon Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 21
Boxer,
Below is a link that will show you who the participating dealers are. I suggest you take a look at it and see who is closest to you. There are also other on-line dealers who are participating as well. Make sure that you are getting the mount and there are no delays.
I hope this helps?
Bart

http://www.nikonpromo.com/m223.html
__________________
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bman940 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 669
203 Members
466 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31