Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2011, 17:17   #1
wallyglock

my dog has not been good....

prayers for all the animals and there owners here . i also need some for my big akita dog, about 11-12 years old

had a toe amputated 2 weeks ago was infected for the second time and had to come off. she wasnt doing real bad until the bandage had to be taken off. she became un-stable on her feet .... she has arthritis in her hind quarters pretty badly, non related to the surgery .

she had taken a fairly mild steroid but doc has put her on derramax, a potent anti-imflamatory drug. she is also on a daily vitamin called pet tabs . she can raise herself from a lying position most of the time and walks pretty good but very slow .
her appetite is good and she wants to play once in a while but lays and chews on her toys without wanting to chase them. doc said also to feed her liver a couple of times a week to build up her strength . got some but havent cooked her any yet , will do so tonite . probably make me sick smelling it !

has any one had the same experience with their dogs ? any advice or tips to help her ?
i realize that she is in the last stages of her life . if she doesnt go down hill from her i will give her the meds and see what happens. i will , by docs instructions , give her one about every other day or maybe about 3 per week of the derramax

thanks and god bless wally
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25   #2
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Sorry your pooch is in bad shape. It's the unfortunate inevitability as they get old. Been there a few time myself. All you can do is treat them and do right by them.

Take care.
Old 04-24-2011, 13:12   #3
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
this helped me when it was time and I hope it helps you........ I lost two this year to old age.... never gets any easer but I will do it again because the gains outway the losses

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26   #4
cllrtr

Hope she is doing better by now.
cllrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 17:47   #5
wallyglock

again thanks .......

to all her and bless you and your beloved pets daily.

the pet prayer was very touching and i made some copies to keep and to give my pet owner friends.

my dog , natsumi , is some better . the derramax is pretty good but costly. i am giving her one every other day and the vitamin tablet daily . she still walks very slowly but her steadiness on her hind quarters has improved a good deal . she also is starting to bark at the cats again and trying to keep them lined out ... a sure sign of feeling a little more like her old self.

next week , at my vets suggestion , we are going to put her back on the steroids only double dose than before . they still will be much , much more afforadable for me ...if they dont work in the first 7-10 days , we will most likely put her back on the derrmax. she will also will still get the vitamins and 1 1/2 aspirins a day with the steroids.

my best to all , and special thoughts and prayers for those who have lost their wonderful animals

wally
Old 05-09-2011, 20:28   #6
dkbrucedvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyglock View Post
next week , at my vets suggestion , we are going to put her back on the steroids only double dose than before ...she will also will still get the vitamins and 1 1/2 aspirins a day with the steroids.
Danger, Will Robinson! Deramaxx is highly COX-2 selective, and changing from that to steroids (non-COX selective) or adding aspirin (also non cox-selective) has a high risk of GI ulceration! Many veterinarians recommend a period of 14 days off deramaxx before changing to other non-steroidals or steroids. You may want to discuss this with your veterinarian, or at least monitor appetite carefully and consider anti-ulcer medication during the transition!

You may wish to consult http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...EVetID=3001459 for more information.
"I urge you to beware the temptation of pride -- the temptation of blithely declaring yourselves above it all and label both sides equally at fault, to ignore the facts of history and the aggressive impulses of an evil empire..." - Ronald Regan
dkbrucedvm is offline   Reply With Quote