Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2011, 20:15   #1
PsychoKnight

LnL AP Primer Catcher on Strongmount

Since Fred is looking for a tube/bottle mod for a 650, I might as well ask about getting rid of the bottle and tube for my LnL AP.

I'm putting it on a 650 Strongmount and while I don't mind the four 1/4" holes on my beloved father's heirloom (rest his soul), superduty-make-me-feel-important desk, I do mind creating a huge hole, or worse, an oval slot to accommodate the 1" swing of the 5/8" tubing. I can't replace the brass drop tube with an extra long version to go through the desktop, because the toggle would strike it on the downstroke (hence the tubing swing mentioned above).

Has anyone mounted their LnL to a strongmount? I'm good at academic researching on subscription databases, but I suck at simple internet searches and just can't find anyone who's done it already.

Or, if anyone can teach me to bend 5/16" brass tubing, to get around the toggle swing, that would be cool. I can bend copper w/ a coil spring bendor, but brass tubing won't work with that type of tool. And I can't replace the brass tube with a copper equivalent because the walls on copper tubing is too thick and large primers won't pass through.

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-23-2011 at 21:46..
PsychoKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 20:53   #2
nothing
Advertisement

could you remove the tube and just place a pan or Tupperware container under the strong mount?
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 21:09   #3
PsychoKnight

Here's some pics.
Reloading

Here's an option that doesn't involve further hacking of Dad's desk. I call it the Flame Spreader Deflector (pulled it off my torch). I took the same 10 primers and dropped them through the spent primer hole w/ tweezers about a dozen times over, til I got bored. So that's over 100 drops and none missed the box. But its noisy and the area will become covered with spent primer dust, noxious stuff that I prefer to keep contained.

Reloading

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-23-2011 at 23:33..
Old 04-23-2011, 21:11   #4
PsychoKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
could you remove the tube and just place a pan or Tupperware container under the strong mount?
Yeah, I thought about that, but w/out a tube, the spent primer would free fall from the top of the press, hit the frame near the ram, then shoot off randomly.

Absolutely have to have the brass tube to guide the primer from the shell plate to below the frame, and like you, I also thought to simply have a container under the ram, but the toggle intereferes with the path of the primer's fall, shoots it off randomly. The toggle where the primer strikes is also not a flat surface, there is an angled area, seen the picture it is the area behind the flame deflector, so primers will bounce in various direction.

My current goal is trying to find a way to avoid an open-air container which spews toxic primer dust everywhere. How can I keep the primers contained with cutting a big hole/slot in the desk?

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-23-2011 at 23:35..
Old 04-23-2011, 21:17   #5
unclebob

Could you cut the brass tubing? Then using vinyl tubing. Either going through the desk or back to a container?
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-23-2011, 23:30   #6
PsychoKnight

post deleted

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-24-2011 at 20:28..
Old 04-24-2011, 07:42   #7
unclebob

Try taking a Glad container that are about 4 or 5 inches tall cut a round hole in the short end side near the top. Put some weight in the container. Run the hose into that hole and you might have to run the container forward or backward to get the right angle and the right hose length. With the ram up you only need about an inch inside of the box and with the ram down it does not go all the way to the other end. You are also using a hard plastic container and it well make more noise, than a soft plastic container. You also could put some foam rubber or even a rag in the bottom of the container to cut down of the noise.
If the Glad container works then get a baby wipe box. It has thicker plastic.
If you could take a piece of brass tubing that would fit over the brass press tubing, and bend it at a 45 degree angle. Then attach the vinyl tubing to that, then into the container.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55   #8
Colorado4Wheel

You dont need a hole in the desk. Just get a long tube, route it to the front and to the floor. Just get a tube slightly bigger so they fall very freely.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:15   #9
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
You dont need a hole in the desk. Just get a long tube, route it to the front and to the floor. Just get a tube slightly bigger so they fall very freely.
I could be wrong but it looks like with it being on the strong mount that the press fits to far back for the tubing to go forward.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-24-2011, 08:46   #10
Colorado4Wheel

It will not drop the primer when the ram is at rest but when you cycle the press the primer should fall down the tube. You just need a big enough tube.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32   #11
PsychoKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Try taking a Glad container that are about 4 or 5 inches tall cut a round hole in the short end side near the top. Put some weight in the container. Run the hose into that hole and you might have to run the container forward or backward to get the right angle and the right hose length. With the ram up you only need about an inch inside of the box and with the ram down it does not go all the way to the other end. You are also using a hard plastic container and it well make more noise, than a soft plastic container. You also could put some foam rubber or even a rag in the bottom of the container to cut down of the noise.
If the Glad container works then get a baby wipe box. It has thicker plastic.
If you could take a piece of brass tubing that would fit over the brass press tubing, and bend it at a 45 degree angle. Then attach the vinyl tubing to that, then into the container.
Thanks for the continued ideas - keeps me thinking.

Especially with an elbow (sorry, dont know how to bend brass tubes, copper yes, the refrigerant line stuff) the elbowed brass tube travels from 1/2" above the surface to 4"1/2" above. Its a huge swing for the vinyl tube to make and I don't think there is enough flexibility in the vinyl to bend at such extreme angles. Is this sketch representative of what you are thinking? Its the 7am position to 11am position swing that the vinyl has to go through that's messing me up.
Reloading

I'm also thinking just to place a powder funnel into the edge of a Glad container, but I need to mod the funnel so it looks like a half-moon opening from the top - maybe just use a heat gun and smoosh it.

I'm also thinking about a hinged slide/coupling approach because the tube has to make such an extreme motion.
Reloading

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-24-2011 at 09:56..
Old 04-24-2011, 09:56   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoKnight View Post
Reloading
I have almost zero doubt that when the press is in that position a primer will flow from the tube to the floor if you route the tube to the front and to the right side of the picture. You will need to fasten the tube to something about 1/2 way to the floor. Then the part above the fastener will move as the ram is lowered. The primers will gravity feed when the ram is up like in the picture. Keep in mind they come out with some force while in the up position and will shoot all the way down right after de-priming.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:02   #13
PsychoKnight

Quote:
It will not drop the primer when the ram is at rest but when you cycle the press the primer should fall down the tube. You just need a big enough tube.
I'm thinking about your idea.

Its a long, curvy run, but if I terminate the vinyl at the front edge of the table with a 45deg pvc elbow, it might work. Will tape an elbow to the front of the desk and try it out.

Actually, it looks like it will work. Holding the elbow with one hand, pumping the ram with the other. Need to run off to Easter brunch now (fancy dishes but no champagne? just aint right), but will run some primers through and get a photo.

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-24-2011 at 10:09..
Old 04-24-2011, 10:12   #14
Colorado4Wheel

Try it with out the elbow. My tube is running at a 30 degree angle and it still gets the primers in the milk jug. Don't over complicate it.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25   #15
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoKnight View Post
Thanks for the continued ideas - keeps me thinking.

Especially with an elbow (sorry, dont know how to bend brass tubes, copper yes, the refrigerant line stuff) the elbowed brass tube travels from 1/2" above the surface to 4"1/2" above. Its a huge swing for the vinyl tube to make and I don't think there is enough flexibility in the vinyl to bend at such extreme angles. Is this sketch representative of what you are thinking? Its the 7am position to 11am position swing that the vinyl has to go through that's messing me up.
Reloading

I'm also thinking just to place a powder funnel into the edge of a Glad container, but I need to mod the funnel so it looks like a half-moon opening from the top - maybe just use a heat gun and smoosh it.

I'm also thinking about a hinged slide/coupling approach because the tube has to make such an extreme motion.
Reloading
You want to keep going through the top. I'am talking about drill a hole in the side of the container near the top. not in the top.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-24-2011, 20:18   #16
PsychoKnight

It Workie ! !

You're right. Both of you.

Lots of tubing, but there is enough vertical in the spiraling drop that the primers are able to slide though just fine. I take back everything I said about Steve (tho, most of it was positive). I even take back everything Jack said about Steve - Steve's okay !

Click the link, not the image

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...011_172302.mp4
Reloading
And The Bob comes though w/ a simplicity I just couldn't see after staying up all night disassembling and reassembling the AP down to the frame. As I wrestled away the baby wipes from my 4 yo girl in her bathroom, I had to sternly tell her to wipe her ass like a real man. Glad she didn't understand what I was saying. But then, I usually don't understand what she says either, so its even.
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...011_191426.mp4
Reloading
Success for the first documented LnL AP on a Strongmount, w/ no stinking primer drop hole through the bench/desk!

Thanks to both Steve and Bob. Sometimes it takes somebody else to point out the obvious.

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-24-2011 at 20:37..
Old 04-24-2011, 20:30   #17
Colorado4Wheel

Great, Glad it works great.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-24-2011 at 20:30..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 20:31   #18
PsychoKnight

Quote:
Try it with out the elbow. My tube is running at a 30 degree angle and it still gets the primers in the milk jug. Don't over complicate it.
Okay, I could just strap the vinyl tube to the lip of the desk and that will keep the tube from dragging on the table edge. Will try.