Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48   #1
coachg

Got another Red press - different brand

I decided to go with another Red press to load all my small primer calibers. I still really like my LoadMaster especially for the 45 ACP. I find that the priming system and case feeder work really well with the bigger cases, but I figured Iíd give the Lock-N-Load a try to see what all the talk is about.

I got the press delivered from Graf & Sons this past Friday and got up early Saturday morning to get it set up. Despite what I read about the instructions, I thought they were fine. Everything was easy enough to put together so Iím not sure what the complaining is all about. One mistake I did make was neglecting to change the primer slider to the one for the small primer. It came with the large primer setup installed. I changed the primer ram, but not the slider. That caused the primers to be off only about 10 % of the time which really had me wondering if I had made a mistake. Once I realized my blunder the priming was flawless. I had to make a small adjustment to the indexing, but again that was not a big deal.

Setup took me about 2 Ĺ hours. I loaded about 250 - 357 Mag and about 300 Ė S&W 40. I timed one primer tube session at about 15 minutes which is a rate of 400/hr. That was before I discovered the primer slider problem so I had some stoppages. I will be very happy with that rate if there are no issues.

Some of the things I really like right off the bat.

Using the priming tubes is not as bad as I thought. I was used to the Lee System which is really simple. I am able to use the Lee primer trays as a flip tray.
I like being able to load a case in station 1 with my left hand and load the bullet in station 4 with the same hand. On the LoadMaster, unless you use the case feeder those operations are on opposite sides of the press which has you using both hands.
I get a good view of the case before bullet seating so I can visually check the charge. Same on the LM.
I like the feel of priming on the down stroke. Reminded me of the Pro1000 although that never worked well. I could easily tell a primer was missing.
The powder measure looks and feels really solid, but I donít know if the results are that much better than my Lee Powder measure with the adjustable caliper. At least for the powders I use.
I can use my Lee Powder measure with the spring load if needed like I will when I get to 357 Sig.
The locking bushings are nice, but again, not as easy and cheap as the Lee turrets.
All of my Lee dies worked fine and were easy to set up.
While I was having the primer problems, I found that it was much easier to fix the issue. The shell plate comes right off and there are no plastic primer sliders to dig out and replace.
Itís very easy to pop cases in and out with the spring retainer system.
The leverage of the handle is great and itís very easy to cycle the press, even with long cases like 357 Mag.
Removing the Powder measure with the quick release hub makes it easy to return unused powder to the bottle.

Anyway, I would say that so far I am pretty happy with the LNL. Not trying to start any kind of debate between Red and the other colors, just relating my experience.

CG
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 13:39   #2
unclebob

I think you just made history comparing a LNL to a Lee. Hope it works out for you.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-26-2011, 14:17   #3
coachg

Yea. I've done it before. I got a lot of mileage out of the LM and will continue to use it for the 45s. The LNL should be a step up as time goes on.
Old 04-26-2011, 14:43   #4
StaTiK
Get Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
I got a lot of mileage out of the LM and will continue to use it for the 45s.
How much mileage are we talking about? Any signs of long-term wear? I'm curious to hear what the useful life expectancy is, and the most I've heard so far (on loadmastervideos.com) was 60k and counting.

-StaTiK-
Alot is not a word. Allot is, but doesn't mean "several". Apostrophes are possessive, not plural. Your and you're are actually different words. So are to, too, and two; there, their, and they're; were and we're; as well as than and then.
StaTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 15:50   #5
coachg

Only about 10k. I'm not a heavy producer. Just like to be able to load without too much hassle. The LM gave me some hassles with the small primers which is why I added the LNL. I don't have as much time to fuss with it like I used to and hope the LNL just makes it easier. It looks like it will be a nice press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaTiK View Post
How much mileage are we talking about? Any signs of long-term wear? I'm curious to hear what the useful life expectancy is, and the most I've heard so far (on loadmastervideos.com) was 60k and counting.

-StaTiK-
Old 04-26-2011, 16:32   #6
phred119

I'm using a Lee LM for 45ACP as well. I never had an issue with the priming system with large primers, but I prime by hand now anyway. Primarily, because I wanted to use the press as a true 5 station, and have room for a lock out die.

I'm curious, are you able to use the Lee FCD with the LNL press/bushings? I thought I had read somewhere that combo didn't work for some reason.
phred119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 16:38   #7
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

If you still encounter problems with the slide, let me know and i will try to walk you through it or i will post a vid. It's quite a easy fix. Good Choice, just Be Very careful using the letters LnL around here..

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 19:43   #8
coachg

I'm not too worried about that. I started a thread about 18 months ago entitled 'Love my LoadMaster'

I don't know how anyone could complain about the LNL. It appears to be a very solid press.

Are you referring to the problem where the primer slider gets hung up? If so, I would like to hear how to eliminate that. It's rare, but if it can be fixed, great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
If you still encounter problems with the slide, let me know and i will try to walk you through it or i will post a vid. It's quite a easy fix. Good Choice, just Be Very careful using the letters LnL around here..
Old 04-26-2011, 19:44   #9
coachg

I havent used the FCD, but I am using the Lee Taper crimp die without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phred119 View Post
I'm using a Lee LM for 45ACP as well. I never had an issue with the priming system with large primers, but I prime by hand now anyway. Primarily, because I wanted to use the press as a true 5 station, and have room for a lock out die.

I'm curious, are you able to use the Lee FCD with the LNL press/bushings? I thought I had read somewhere that combo didn't work for some reason.
Old 04-26-2011, 19:50   #10
phred119

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
I havent used the FCD, but I am using the Lee Taper crimp die without any problems.
If you have an FCD, and are bored one day, I'd love to know for sure if it works or not. I'm in no hurry to get a new press, but it would be nice to know for future reference. I've considered getting a LNL at some point, but I like using my current dies (Lee) and wouldn't want to have to replace, or not be able to use the FCD.
phred119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 20:10   #11
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Make sure your primer shield is hand tight and then back it off a turn. The part you screw the shield onto make sure all the whole line up, actually you,want the primer slide hole to be more towards the back of the threaded hole. If that does not work the black plastic thing on the primer guide rod, loosen the allen screw and and seat it,as far back and as snug as you can towards the slide. also lightly dremel the slidd to give it a nice polish and make sure you rub the whole assembly with alcohol. If that does not work or make sense to you in,txt form I will take some pics for ya. It takes tinkering but I now only get one every blue moon and when my dillon rod no lomger puts pressure on the primers..

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 21:28   #12
coachg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phred119 View Post
If you have an FCD, and are bored one day, I'd love to know for sure if it works or not. I'm in no hurry to get a new press, but it would be nice to know for future reference. I've considered getting a LNL at some point, but I like using my current dies (Lee) and wouldn't want to have to replace, or not be able to use the FCD.
I'll give it a try and report back when I get a chance.
Old 04-26-2011, 21:30   #13
coachg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
Make sure your primer shield is hand tight and then back it off a turn. The part you screw the shield onto make sure all the whole line up, actually you,want the primer slide hole to be more towards the back of the threaded hole. If that does not work the black plastic thing on the primer guide rod, loosen the allen screw and and seat it,as far back and as snug as you can towards the slide. also lightly dremel the slidd to give it a nice polish and make sure you rub the whole assembly with alcohol. If that does not work or make sense to you in,txt form I will take some pics for ya. It takes tinkering but I now only get one every blue moon and when my dillon rod no lomger puts pressure on the primers..
I'll look at that next time I'm loading. Thanks for the tip.