SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2011, 19:18   #1
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

? About Shotgun Loading

I know i will not save money or even probably develop a far Superior load. But my nephew really has a knack for skeet shooting and is begging me to help him reload shotgun. He is going to buy the LEE loader with his own money. I really Don't want to load hulls, but i told him if he gets his grades up i will do it. My few concerns, Is it similar to the reloading i do now. Is the LEE loader even worth the $50 bucks. I know some of there stuff is good but have never heard anything about this. I want to help him out and motivate him to keep doing the sport, but i want to make sure its safe. The last thing i want is my brothers wife coming at me. Trust me....

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:22   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Save up a few dollars more and buy one of the entry level MEC's... you won't be making a mistake.

You can probably find one on an auction site for not very much money. You'll pretty much always be able to get parts for 'em. Check out the MEC website.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:29   #3
10head

as above, i have a mec 600 jr for 12 and 20 and 16 gauge they work great and are easy to operate, like handgun reloading the single stages are not as fast as progressives but i only load about a hundred at a time so no problem
10head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:30   #4
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

That's what i figured, I may give him more incentive and tell him all A's and i will chip in. Hell what do i Lose if he turns out to be a shotgun tooting Jersey Shore thug. I got a MEC out of it..

Old 04-27-2011, 19:41   #5
trcubed

I have a MEC 600jr that is ~25 years or so old and have loaded thousands of rounds on it. It's been very reliable...I've only replaced the wad guide fingers once or twice.

Keeps my wife in trap loads...
Old 04-27-2011, 20:00   #6
dbarry

You can't save a lot of money making trap/skeet rounds, but put some nice turkey loads together and save a bundle! Last year at Gander Mountain I saw turkey loads going for 20-45 bucks (for 10 rounds!)

I still load my own trap rounds because i enjoy the reloading nearly as much as shooting them. Got my mec 600 jr for free - neighbor's buddy gave it to him, he gave it to me. It is older than dirt, but parts are still available & it works great.
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 20:02   #7
fredj338

At todays cost for shot, you don't save anything voer cheap game/field loads. You can make good target loads that save you some over the pricey @in AA, etc factory loads. I bought the cheap Lee loader to play w/ the idea of loading my own shells for CAS. I needed an epxenisve smooth hull that would fly out of my double easily & wanted a light 1oz shot charge for going faster. The Lee works, it's a bit tedious, but I rarely did more than a box or two a month.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 20:07   #8
dbarry

Sorry, I missed the part about the lee loader. I bought the 20ga lee loader and probably loaded 500 rounds on it. It is what it is, some will dog it out but for 40 bucks it's a great little machine.

On the plus side, it comes with all of your powder and shot bushings. Nothing to buy - that's pretty cool. On the down side, they put the 8 point crimp starter behind the less popular 6 point starter. Dont buy the automatic primer feeder for it - it is a POS. (at least version 1.0 was - maybe they fixed it.)
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 20:23   #9
Tom in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
My few concerns, Is it similar to the reloading i do now. Is the LEE loader even worth the $50 bucks. I know some of there stuff is good but have never heard anything about this.
Stay clear of the Lee, get a used single stage MEC. Slow but will turn out better quality reloads and is easier to use than the Lee. I have a couple of the Lee's, a bunch of MEC's and a couple of Hornady's.

The difference between shotshell and metalic is that the shotshell loads must fit a internal case to crimp and perform properly while the metalic has a lot of leeway in that area.

Last edited by Tom in Arizona; 04-27-2011 at 20:25..
Tom in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 20:44   #10
Colorado4Wheel

Hornady makes a shotgun press.
Old 04-27-2011, 20:57   #11
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
What gauge is he going to load? I have a 20 and 12 gauge stuff and could prolly help out with getting him started on some stuff... just don't tell him you have it til he shows the report card... LOL
Old 04-27-2011, 21:07   #12
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Really Steve....this is for the nephew. I will be doing 12 gauge. I dont want to fork out much money because you know kids, a week later and hell be in to power rangers or something..

Old 04-27-2011, 21:23   #13
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
Really Steve....this is for the nephew. I will be doing 12 gauge. I dont want to fork out much money because you know kids, a week later and hell be in to power rangers or something..

I could have gotten a big Ponsness Warren progressive for 250 bucks at the last gun show here... they sell for almost a grand new
Old 04-27-2011, 21:57   #14
Tom in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Yes, 366 progressive, used to be made by Pacific.

Last edited by Tom in Arizona; 04-27-2011 at 21:58..
Tom in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote