Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2011, 17:36   #1
Dave Richardson

Federal 9BP & 9BPLE

Mas Ayoob writes very positive things about both of these old school loads, can anyone else give the benefit of their experience with them? Accuracy, perceived recoil, etc.?

Currently using Black Hills' 115 JHP EXP which is very accurate and light recoil but the Federals are much less expensive and the Black Hills loads are no longer the Speer Gold Dot bullets.

Will be used in both a 19 and 17.

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.
Dave Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 17:59   #2
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richardson View Post
Mas Ayoob writes very positive things about both of these old school loads, can anyone else give the benefit of their experience with them? Accuracy, perceived recoil, etc.?

Currently using Black Hills' 115 JHP EXP which is very accurate and light recoil but the Federals are much less expensive and the Black Hills loads are no longer the Speer Gold Dot bullets.

Will be used in both a 19 and 17.

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.

From my research/reading/understanding…

IIRC the ISP has used 9BPLE and the Ranger 115 Gr. +P+ with great results. There are other agencies that have used them as well but the ISP sticks out in my head more.

My personal use has been with the Ranger 115 Gr. +P+ (Pretty much identical loadings).

Accuracy: Top notch. I'm not a match shooter but I would average my groups at 15 yards ~1.5-2 inches.

Recoil: About the same you get with a 115 Gr. ball round. A little more flip but not anything to complain about

Function: Never a single failure. I've put about 4,000 rounds of this down range and not one single failure of any kind to report

Back Yard Tests: Totally non-scientific mind you…Every single round expanded violently. Got an average of 10 inches of penetration. Always expanded no matter what clothing material I put in front of it.

Velocity: Without my book in front of me…
Glock 17: 1320
Glock 19: 1290-1300
Glock 26: 1240-1250
HK P7M8: 1300
NK P7M13: 1300

There are a couple thoughts in this area: Light and fast or heavy and slow. I "Personally" like light and fast. Of course I go in the middle more than anything.

It's a great round to use for SD. It gives a minimum depth of penetration. Has a solid track record. It's priced right to buy a couple cases.

Hope this helps ya a little bit.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 18:47   #3
cowboy1964

I've shot a few boxes of 9BPLE. At first I thought it was a little harsher recoil than, for example, 124+P or 127+P+ but now I can't really tell a difference. It definitely is a bit louder though.

I don't think these 115gr rounds meet the FBI protocol 12" minimum penetration but they supposedly have a big wound track to make up for that. That energy has to go somewhere.
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 22:16   #4
LarryNC

I just bought a case. I have not had the opportunity to shoot any of it yet. I will be using mine in 3rd generation 17 and 19. And a 2nd generation 17L.

Last edited by LarryNC; 04-28-2011 at 22:16..
LarryNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:00   #5
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

The Federal 9BPLE was specifically developed for the ISP. Winchester also designed their 115JHP+P+ Q4174 (now RA9115HP+) load for the ISP. The ISP and many other LE agencies (and individuals) have used these loads close to three decades now with great success.

The 9BPLE is my carry load of my G19s and G26. Recoil of course is more stout than standard pressure loads, but IMO not even close to the 40S&W out of the same size Glocks. And in my pistols the 9BPLE is exceptionally accurate.

The standard pressure 9BP (currently labeled C9BP) load uses the same bullet and, once again, IMO it is a good load for those who want a non +P SD round.

Last edited by Merkavaboy; 04-29-2011 at 13:42..
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:17   #6
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I don't think these 115gr rounds meet the FBI protocol 12" minimum penetration but they supposedly have a big wound track to make up for that. That energy has to go somewhere.
You are quite correct about the FBI. In the eyes of the FBI and according to their wound ballistics protocols, the 9BPLE is a complete failure. And yet both the Fed and Win 115JHP+P+ have proven their stopping ability in real gun battles against real human beings.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:25   #7
ricklee4570

I use both, the 9BP and the 9BPLE in my Glock 34 and they rock. The 9BP is very, very accurate and seems to be very consistent from lot to lot. It is the most accurate ammo I have found so far.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:54   #8
saltydog452

Its about as reliable in feed as morning sun.

The 9BPLE, for me, through a BHP, has proved to be easily deflected.

How it'd do through a tempered glass storm door, I don't know.

salty
saltydog452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 21:02   #9
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
You are quite correct about the FBI. In the eyes of the FBI and according to their wound ballistics protocols, the 9BPLE is a complete failure. And yet both the Fed and Win 115JHP+P+ have proven their stopping ability in real gun battles against real human beings.
Our local county police force of about 2,000 sworn officers has been using 9BPLE for probably 20 years in Sig P226 semi autos. They are very happy with the results and I haven't heard any screaming for larger or better calibers even when 2 of their officers were gunned down by a rifle toting lunatic a few years ago. But I do see the barrels of M4's and 14" 870's in most every patrol car now.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 22:09   #10
FatBoy

I have shot around 1K of the 9BPLE out of my guns. Never a failure and makes little holes where I aim my guns. I now use 124+p Gold dots in most of my 9mms.

A friend of mine was involved w/ 2 OIS w/ these rounds. One was definitely the 9BP. The other may have been the 9BPLE, but I am not sure, could have been the 9BP. In both cases they did the job.

Another friend, back in the day, would use the 9BP in competition, as it shot so well out of his gun.

I would have no problem using it if was what I had around.

FB

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 22:12   #11
poodleshooter1

My only concern is the lack of penetration out of longer barrels due to higher velocities. Out of shorter barrels, it should be slower, open up less, and penetrate deeper. Let's not forget Miami....

Flame suit on.
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02   #12
Dave Richardson

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses, I'm buying several boxes of each from CTD and will report after I've been to the range.

Vafish, are you in Fairfax County? I'm in the Town of Herndon.
Dave Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06   #13
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

13 of them in my KT P-11.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:32   #14
PghJim

I use the Ranger 115 +p+ and have not been able to find the 9BPLE. Does anyone know where it may be available.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:48   #15
LarryNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
I use the Ranger 115 +p+ and have not been able to find the 9BPLE. Does anyone know where it may be available.
I bought a case of it a couple of weeks ago from Cheaper than dirt. The price was something like seventeen dollars a box. I thought that was a good price.

Last edited by LarryNC; 05-07-2011 at 07:53..
LarryNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:33   #16
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

CTD still has 50rd box for $17.49
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 19:29   #17
Dogguy

I'm a long time fan of the Federal 9BP. I've not shot much of the +P+ stuff. What little I've shot seemed pretty mild in recoil--about the same as the standard 9BP. Both loads function perfectly in Glocks and SIGs and hit where I mean for it too hit. I keep several boxes of the 9BP on hand and consider it the standard against which other standard 9mm loads are to be measured.
Dogguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 19:35   #18
unit1069

I'd choose the 9BPLE for my Steyr M9-A1 if I was inclined to use 115-grain ammo in that pistol. It's definitely out of the question for my Kel-Tec PF-9 as the manufacturer warns against shooting +P or +P+ ammo through that pistol.

From what I read and research the 9BPLE is excellent 115-grain ammo but there are also excellent ammo choices available to those who own 9mm pistols designed to shoot high pressure ammo.

Last edited by unit1069; 05-07-2011 at 19:36..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 20:31   #19
AWESOMO 4000

9BP has always been rediculously accurate in my M92FS. Like, match-grade accuracy. 9BPLE runs a little quicker obviously; you're within 10gr and 50fps of it being a .357SIG for the most part. It's worked for over 30 years. It doesn't seem to care that it's not bonded or has little claw things on it. It just works. Ball profile on both of these means good feeding in anything.
AWESOMO 4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 16:24   #20
five-0

9BP is the most accurate factory load I've shot...in a variety of pistols.
five-0 is offline   Reply With Quote