Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09   #1
biggun1911

Dillon 550B and leverage

I owned a Dillon 650 with a case feeder and did not like it. It was to automatic and complicated, so I sold it and purchased a square deal B. At the time my purchase decision was between the 550 and the SDB. I like the auto indexing and was not loading rifle, so I purchased the SDB.

The machine works fine, but the force to cycle the machine and seat the primer is much greater than the 650. I use Hornady one shot lube and put one of Adam's balls on the press, which helps, but it still is not like the 650.

I was considering purchasing the 550, if it had the same mechanical advantage as the 650. In other words ease of cycling the machine. After following the red vs blue wars I decided that auto indexing is not necessary for me. I shoot two hundred rounds a month unless I have a gun class.

I am getting on in years, in fact I had to sign up for Medicare this year. I may not be as old as Jack, but the body isn't what it used to be. I enjoy loading and shooting and want to continue as long as I can. Jack is my role model in that respect.
biggun1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:16   #2
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun1911 View Post
Jack is my role model
We all have our faults...

The 550 feels to me like a 650 as far as leverage goes.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:32   #3
XDRoX

The strong mount's distribution of weight and a roller handle can make a huge difference. If ease of motion and ergonomics is what you're looking for, plus simplicity, the 550b is the winner. I'd get everything. Bullet tray, strong mount, the whole 9 yards. My 550b may not be the faster, but it is very comfortable to load on. I attribute the majority of it's comfort to the roller handle. I hate loading on machines without one now.

Reloading
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:35   #4
XDRoX

Here is me loading non lubed cases:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V1hNT3BqR5I" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:49   #5
unclebob

I would say since the linkage on the 650 and 550 are the same or about the same. The leverage should be about the same. Too many years since I reloaded on a 550.
I must say that the older I get the more I like the 650 since it does just about all of the work for me.
Welcome to the Medicare group.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17   #6
fredj338

I run both a 550B & a 650. Sizing sim cases, I can tell no real diff. in the effort needed. The 650 may have a slight advantage. The SDB is a good press, but no comparison in leverage. Probably one reason it is not offered in rifle calibers.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:18   #7
shotgunred
reloading nut

You could always put a longer handle on you press.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:26   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Biggun, keep loading and shooting, it pisses off all the young'uns. They think that because they figured out how to use an iPhone and watched Saving Private Ryan there's nothing left to achieve in life. It's a good thing that God takes mercy on the ignorant.

Although I don't really use it all that frequently I still find the 550 very easy and pretty comfortable to use... much, much more so than my Square Deal. It's footprint is so small I actually find it painful to use.

The only complaint I have with the 550 is the locator pins. Because of a pesky case of rheumatoid arthritis in my hands I find that when I have to remove one or more pins I end up dropping them 3 out of 5 times then it's down on hands and knees trying to find 'em. That's not too bad but then I've got to wait until either my daughter or son-in-law stops by to help me back to my feet. So far I've been very fortunate... my Metamucil hasn't decided to kick in while I've been trapped on the floor.

Dillon actually has a very easy solution for handling those hard to handle pins that they don't advertise. I didn't know it until I started buying 1050's but their solution works very well for those of us who have forged this great country, only to watch the young'uns screw it up.

On the 1050's Dillon attaches small BLUE TABS, not to be confused with small blue pills. to each locator pin. It makes the pin considerably easier to see, much easier to remove and much easier to replace. I really don't know why they don't supply them standard on each press, it is a very simple and cheap solution to for what many of us is a big problem.

Don't be afraid of the 550 but if you have, or are expecting any problems with your hands or have failing eyesight give dillon a call and ask about obtaining a set of the plastic tabs to attach to the locator. For a little excitement you could even paint them RED.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:44   #9
Colorado4Wheel

550 has a much nicer easier feel then the SDB IMHO. About the same as the 650.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00   #10
unclebob

Dillon at one time was selling the pins with the tabs. For the 550 & 650. I think people were hitting the tabs and knocking the pins out? You could also make your own little tabs from a plastic bottle, Clorox or oil bottles etc. On the 650 I leave station 3 pin out, I donít remember If I left the pin out on the 550 or not? Iím thinking that I did. Makes it very easy to clear any screw-ups.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10   #11
unclebob

http://www.ecrater.com/p/2506213/1qt...ng-tool-gopher

Jack you need to get a couple of these. I use them also at the range to pick up brass that does not land on the mesh tarp. Harbor Freight sells them, and a lot of other stores. Make sure you get the Gopher one the other ones do not work as well.
One of these days I might learn how to transfer pictures.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-29-2011, 10:18   #12
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I appreciate the suggestion Unclebob but I've already got a bunch of them stashed around the house. Pretty much every time I break my back the hospital gives me one before they send me home. For some reason they always think I'm going to be an invalid.

I blame their incorrect assumption on the fact that they're used to working with lesser men. 'Tis a shame they lead such sheltered lives.

For retrieving brass I use one of two methods; a Brass Wizard, or grandchildren. The Brass Wizard is cheaper... I don't have to feed it bubble gum or lollipops.

Jack

Old 04-29-2011, 10:50   #13
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
I appreciate the suggestion Unclebob but I've already got a bunch of them stashed around the house. Pretty much every time I break my back the hospital gives me one before they send me home. For some reason they always think I'm going to be an invalid.

I blame their incorrect assumption on the fact that they're used to working with lesser men. 'Tis a shame they lead such sheltered lives.

For retrieving brass I use one of two methods; a Brass Wizard, or grandchildren. The Brass Wizard is cheaper... I don't have to feed it bubble gum or lollipops.

Jack
I also have the Brass Wizard, But I like the mesh tarp and the Gopher. I go around and using the Gopher pick up the brass and through them back onto the tarp. Then I just pick up the 4 corners of the tarp. All of the brass goes to the center of the tarp. Put the tarp on the table. Then scoop the brass up and put it into a mesh bag. Give the bag a couple of shakes to get rid of the sand and listen for any cases that are split.
But I do think you said one time that you cannot bend over to pick up the corners of the tarp.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-29-2011, 10:54   #14
biggun1911

Thanks for the info about the 550. I should have purchased it in the first place. but I got hung up on the need for auto index.

The little buttons are problem with the SDB. There is not very much room and I have dropped them into the priming system. Then I have to take it apart to get the button out. It is not difficult, just a pain in the tail.

Now I have to convince the little lady I need a new press. Maybe this Christmas.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27   #15
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the 550. I should have purchased it in the first place. but I got hung up on the need for auto index.

The little buttons are problem with the SDB. There is not very much room and I have dropped them into the priming system. Then I have to take it apart to get the button out. It is not difficult, just a pain in the tail.

Now I have to convince the little lady I need a new press. Maybe this Christmas.

Unless your name is Shirley Maclaine you're only going to live one time... strike while the iron is hot.

Jack

Old 04-29-2011, 11:37   #16
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
It's a good thing that God takes mercy on the ignorant.
This is just RIPE for comment..
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:55   #17
biggun1911

You are absolutely correct Jack. Strike when the iron is hot. The little lady will be spending this summer at the coast. She hates the heat. I gets 100+ most of summer.

If I could sell the SDB, I could replace it with the 550. She wouldn't know the difference as long as I had one press.

Does anyone know how much SDB would sell for?

Last edited by biggun1911; 04-29-2011 at 11:56..
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:

Auto indexing if over rated by some. They act like it's a gotta have it item. It's not, especially once you get used to the 550. Learning curve time frame is when it's most missed.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:14   #19
PCJim

Biggun, shipping charge will be a deterrent for those outside your local area. Where are you and what caliber?

Dillon equipment generally sells for about 80% of the cost of a new machine, although on occassion one might find a deal for fifty cents on the dollar (like I just missed last night on a full blown 650 press and accessories!). If you list it on one of the auction sites, you might get 120% of the cost of a new one the way some people get caught up in the bidding wars.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:25   #20
biggun1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Biggun, shipping charge will be a deterrent for those outside your local area. Where are you and what caliber?

Dillon equipment generally sells for about 80% of the cost of a new machine, although on occassion one might find a deal for fifty cents on the dollar (like I just missed last night on a full blown 650 press and accessories!). If you list it on one of the auction sites, you might get 120% of the cost of a new one the way some people get caught up in the bidding wars.
I am in Fresno, CA. The press has the strong mount and bullet tray. The dies are complete conversions for 9mm and 45 acp.

I was think about asking 75% of cost.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:55   #21
unclebob

Quote:
I am in Fresno, CA. The press has the strong mount and bullet tray. The dies are complete conversions for 9mm and 45 acp.

If you are going to get another strong mount I would keep the bullet tray. Like what was said before I would list it on EBay. Figure on shipping across the US then add some more to that price. People on EBay what I have found so far do not know what the new price is or they think well I said 1 dollar whatever it is. They are just plain nuts. You just might get more than what you paid for it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-29-2011, 13:34   #22
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Auto indexing if over rated by some. They act like it's a gotta have it item. It's not, especially once you get used to the 550. Learning curve time frame is when it's most missed.
Agree. I like the auto indexing on my 650, but there is no advantage really. The speed comes from not having to feed cases in the 650. I still have to place a bullet, that is done as I manually index the 550B or after the 650 auto indexes, so no speed advantage there.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 13:54   #23
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:

Boxer Glocker recently dumped on in the for sale section here on GT.. but I can't remember what the price was. I don't recall it being available for very long.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 17:41   #24
dudel

I prefer the 550b to the SDB. For me the shellplate area was very tight on SDB. I think Fred is right, on the leverage. It feels considerably less than the 550b. I can see a problem if the SDB did rifle rounds in it's current configuration.

I don't find the manual index to be either a problem or slow me down. I prefer the smooter manual indexing.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 18:27   #25
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Boxer Glocker recently dumped on in the for sale section here on GT.. but I can't remember what the price was. I don't recall it being available for very long.
I sold one local for $360 cash with a second conversion set, extra primer feeder assembly and spare parts kit. Sold quick....