Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:24   #1
jetdefiant

Send a message via AIM to jetdefiant
Been considering the reserves. Unsure which branch.

A little background on myself. I am 27 turning 28 this year. with a masters in electrical engineering.

I have been toying with the idea of joining the reserves. Maybe its a phase and a sense of duty/pride. My original goal as an engineer was to work in the defense industry and contribute to my country with my brains. However with the economy the way it is, that goal is hitting some road blocks.

I have always loved the military and all forms. I guess there is just something inside me that tells me that no matter how involved I get in my engineering career to help the troops, I will always just be a civilian, and couldn't possibly relate to those who made that commitment to serve.

I am still unclear what I would want to do with my life but I wanted to get some opinions on if given the condition of joining, which branch would have a better use for an engineer? I already have some ideas but I don't want to steer the thread towards one branch over the other. I'd rather just get some opinions and first hand experiences. And thank you all once again for your service.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:48   #2
chivvalry

USAF is most technical service followed by the USN. After that your degree may not be as relevant. Regardless of what service, with a degree you should be looking at OTS/OCS (Officer Training School/Officer Candidate School).

You need to figure out what you want to do when you serve. If you want techy military work on bases that may be scattered across the world that's one thing... if you want to lug a gun around and play in the mud (or water) that's completely different.

I spent 13 years in the USAF working on everything from ICBMs to satellites to intercontinental bombers. Started enlisted and left as a Capt. Good times.

eh... you said reserves... that changes things quite a bit.

Last edited by chivvalry; 04-06-2011 at 12:49..
chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote