GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 15:29   #126
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,142
Hey Carrier, get the wax out of your ears...you so need a CHRONY! Hey but the latest test and pics are a great testament to the XTP's performance from bullets that don't carry designer pricing! Thanks again for sharing!
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 17:35   #127
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Hey Carrier, get the wax out of your ears...you so need a CHRONY! Hey but the latest test and pics are a great testament to the XTP's performance from bullets that don't carry designer pricing! Thanks again for sharing!
I know, I know, I'll have one soon! I can't wait!
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 00:25   #128
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
I've got some great tests coming up!!! In the next week or two should come the following: 135gr Sierra JHP (both in factory CorBon loading, and hot reloaded), 150gr Nosler JHP, 165gr Golden Saber, 200gr WFNGC, 156gr Cast Lyman Devastator, 180gr Rainier Plated HP, 220gr Double Tap WFNGC (factory DT), and maybe some others. I'm gonna try to get some 180gr Golden Sabers, and others. Should have the 135gr Sierras up on Sunday.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:59   #129
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,207
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I've got some great tests coming up!!! In the next week or two should come the following: 135gr Sierra JHP (both in factory CorBon loading, and hot reloaded), 150gr Nosler JHP, 165gr Golden Saber, 200gr WFNGC, 156gr Cast Lyman Devastator, 180gr Rainier Plated HP, 220gr Double Tap WFNGC (factory DT), and maybe some others. I'm gonna try to get some 180gr Golden Sabers, and others. Should have the 135gr Sierras up on Sunday.
BTW, its a 220gr Buffalo Bore factory HC, and rated at 1200fps (~703 ft/lbs).
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26   #130
Jitterbug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 938
Sounds great 21, I'm really looking forward to the 200 and 220 H.C.

The 135 gr. Sierra and Nosler 150 gr. has piqued my interest too.

Sierra usually makes very nice bullets it will be interesting to see how it performs in relation to the Nosler.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30   #131
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,207
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I'm anxious for most all of those bullet tests.... but the Devastators and WFNGC's are REALLY getting me wondering ... :D
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 07-02-2011 at 07:31..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55   #132
Cam Cooke
Senior Member
 
Cam Cooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 251
21C your test have been rekindling my 10mm interests I had gotten into revolvers for a while but have now been playing with my 3 10mm handguns and just put my 18" barrel onto my T/C Contender need to find the time to get out to get it resighted in...

Thanks for these tests they are great info...

Cam Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:25   #133
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
BTW, its a 220gr Buffalo Bore factory HC, and rated at 1200fps (~703 ft/lbs).
Sorry, you're right Nick, it's a Buffalo Bore 220gr HC, not Double Tap. By the way, lots of thanks to NickE10mm and The Shadow for sending me bullets. Both of them sent me several different bullets to test, so again, thanks guys.

Cam, I'm glad to get you interested in 10mm again. We always need more 10mm shooters.

I'll be testing the 135gr Sierra JHPs today (factory CorBon, and 12.7gr 800-X). I'll have the results up as soon as possible. Likely around 8 pm or so. On deck is Shadow's 156gr Devastator HP and .45ACP 195gr Devastator HP. I figure it's about time I test a .45ACP bullet for comparison. I'll do more of them after I'm done with 10mm, but I'd like to get an idea of the difference in wounding capabilities between the two. After those, I'll get to Nick's bullets.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:25   #134
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
Ok, so I tested the 135gr Sierra JHP today, and it looks VERY promising. It seems that it easily outperformed the 135gr Nosler, offering BOTH massive damage and sufficient penetration. Here are the results:

Sierra 135gr JHP Wax Tests

I tested this bullet in both a factory 135gr CorBon 10mm load (claimed 1400fps), and reloaded with 12.7gr 800-X, CCI 300, COAL 1.260". I only used 12.7gr of 800-X instead of the 13.0gr I used with the Nosler because the Sierra is a little bit longer (I'm guessing because of the larger cavity). Both loads performed well. In fact, it seems this may be the best factory SD load out there. As a hand load, the bullet performed even better. Thanks to GTRhino24 for the bullets.

Factory CorBon 10mm 135gr JHP (Sierra JHP at 1400fps)

As I said above, this is quite possibly one of the best factory SD loads out there, if not the best (not including Swamp Fox, BB, DT). It does a great job of combining energy, wounding, and penetration. Here are the stats:

Update: this load chronographed a 3-shot average of 1249fps on 8/4/11.

Penetration: 11.5"
Max expansion: .759"
Min expansion: .649"
Mass retention: 74.9gr
Wound channel max diameter: 2.5" (I think it may have been a little bit smaller, but the shot was a tiny bit off center, and caused one side of the tube to blow out. I'm guessing about 2.25" is more realistic.)

Pictures:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

135gr Sierra JHP/12.7gr 800-X

This load was nearly as devastating as the 135gr Nosler, but offered a good bit more penetration. Another thing that I notice about this bullet is the fact that it creates secondary wound channels. Like the Black Talon, as the bullet expands, little pieces of lead fragment and take off at 45 degree angles causing secondary wounding. This was more pronounced with the hand load, but also occurred with the factory load. With the hand load, there were six fragments (from the six petals), and each penetrated about 2-3 inches and was stopped by the cardboard tube.

The wound channel was as wide as the Nosler's but not quite as voluminous. However, the trade-off is more penetration and the secondary wounding. Again, as with the Nosler, there was enough energy transfer to blow the tube open in several spots. There were about six large splits in the cardboard where it had torn. Luckily, it held just enough. On to the numbers:

Penetration: 10.5"
Max expansion: .649"
Min expansion: .538"
Mass retention: 67.6gr
Wound channel max diameter: 4"

Pictures:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

Here's a close-up of the secondary wound channels created by the fragmentation.
10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

Overall, I was very impressed with the 135gr Sierra JHP. The wounding was massive and nasty, and penetration should easily meet the FBI standard 12" in gelatin. I forgot to test them in water, so I'll do that next time.

Last edited by 21Carrier; 08-05-2011 at 07:08..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:34   #135
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,207
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Awesome, thanks again for the results.... 135gr Sierra.... hmmmm
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 15:55   #136
Cam Cooke
Senior Member
 
Cam Cooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 251
Quote:
Cam, I'm glad to get you interested in 10mm again. We always need more 10mm shooters.
Oh I didn't stop shooting 10mm it is that I started shooting/carrying 45 Colt & 454 Casull a lot more than 10mm due to carrying revolvers in the remote areas of British Columbia & Alberta for defense against wild animals.

I load top velocity 240gr XTP's - 345gr Beartooth WLNGC's in my s/s 5.5" Ruger Bisley Vaquero's in 45 Colt and 240gr XTP mags - 405gr Jae-Bok Young WLNGC's in my shortened to 4.25" Ruger Super Redhawk.

My 405gr loads = 1330fps from the 4.25" SRH...

Cam Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:10   #137
glock20c10mm
Senior Member
 
glock20c10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Out West
Posts: 5,244
Very nice on the 135gr test.

Over time I've seen bits and pieces of information that would suggest these 135gr bullets are more potent than many would have us believe. Obviously in 40S&W they are street proven, but at top notch 10mm velocities many seem to shy away from them (same as 9mm 115gr +P/+P+ even though many of them don't frag as bad as most would have us believe) because of relatively high percentages of fragmentation.

Yet, even with the frag at high velocity, they at least seem to be capable of a wound channel (and a nasty one at that) to and into the vitals for any shot that isn't angling to badly into the body. Much the same as .357 caliber 125gr short jacket hollow points at ~1400fps. Not to mention the fact that it's pretty clear these 135gr pills are going to have a good chance of seriously damaging stuff outside of the permanent crush cavity. IMO, these 135gr pills will also have a much better chance, and in a quicker amount of time, of letting BGs know they've been hit in direct comparison to heavy for caliber bullet weight that do there job without much "fuss".

It's like an older ex-cop (38 years experience) told me (and I'm paraphrasing here); Heavy for caliber bullets work great for killing people. The problem is they don't incapacitate worth a darn. With the heavy for caliber bullets you still have to chase the guy down till you've found him a couple hundred yards away laying dead where he hid in a culvert or back alley, along with the times you don't have to chase them down but they're still shooting back or threatening with a knife or whatever, or you later come across them at one of the local hospitals that they made it to on their own. He said when he first joined the force and they used 125gr 357 Magnum, the above had happened, for it wasn't common or the norm. He said with the 125gr 357 Magnum you could pretty much count...1 watermelon-2watermelon-3watermelon...and that was the end of it. End of fight. He also made a point of saying that the 357 Mag didn't require "perfect" shot placement. He said you could miss the vitals, still with a decent COM hit, and still it wasn't unusual for it to be all over by the count of "3".

Anyway, the 155s give me a tad more piece of mind, but even at "hyper" velocity it does not appear those 135s are really anything to shy away from.


Again 21Carrier, thanks for sharing all this with us!
Craig
__________________
Free Men Don't Need To Ask Permission To Bear Arms

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 20:40   #138
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,895
Very interesting. I have only worked with Sierras in limited quantites and zero in the 135 grain weight, so I had no idea what type of terminal ballistics they would yield. Now we know.

Thanks again for the quality write up.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 20:43   #139
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,142
Oh yea 135's do that nasty stuff...Thanks for the data!
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 20:52   #140
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
Shadow, your Devastators are up next (both .45ACP and 10mm). I haven't gotten Nick's bullets yet (though they should be here tomorrow), and I've already gotten yours loaded. I'll try to do them sometime this week, then two of Nick's this weekend.

I did run one of your 10mm Devastators through a few water jugs yesterday. I have a feeling it will be similar to this last test, but without such a massive wound chamber (since I'm leery of running them really fast in my Glock barrel). The one shot into the water basically blew apart into little chunks with a central core staying together. I'm guessing we will see a decent chamber with secondary wounding, and the central core doing some decent penetration. We will see. I'm very interested in them.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 21:07   #141
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,142
Water is hard on the bullets(pure hydrodynamics), the wax and gelatin may be a little more forgiving! We will see soon enough...Your Glock barrel will be fine!
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:13   #142
Jitterbug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 938
Nice work 21.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:39   #143
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
I tested Shadow's cast Lyman Devastator bullets yesterday. Sadly, I messed up. Apparently, I didn't allow the wax to cool fully, and the weather was hot as hell. When I shot the tubes, both slugs went straight through. The first half of the wax (the part the bullet hit first) was cool, and performed normally. However, the second half of the wax was still warm, and jelly-like. Because of this, the bullets just kept on going and exited the tube. I found both bullets (they barely exited the tubes), but they got dinged up pretty badly on the rocks underneath. Also, because it was so hot, and the tubes weren't fully cooled, they melted before I could get them back home. So, I couldn't get accurate measurements. I placed my "wax knife" in the pics to use as a guide for approximate measurements. Anyway, here's the data:

Lyman 10mm 156gr Devastator HP

For some reason, this bullet failed to open. I'm not sure why. The first half of the wax was around normal temperature, so test conditions shouldn't have been different. It actually seems that the impact with the wax CLOSED the hollow point. However, because the bullet hit rocks underneath, it's hard to tell if that happened in or out of the tube. I'm inclined to think the wax did it because most of the obvious rock damage is on the BACK of the bullet. Whatever the cause, it didn't open, so this data is entertaining at best. I will repeat both tests sometime soon.

Load: new Starline brass, CCI 300, Blue Dot 11.0gr, COAL 1.260"

Max expansion: .451"
Retained mass: 155.8gr
Penetration: full penetration, about 16"
Max wound cavity diameter: about 1.5"

Pictures:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

In this picture, the bullet is sitting on its base. So the nose is facing the camera.
10mm Reloading Forum

In this picture, the nose is pointing up (north), base is down (south).
10mm Reloading Forum

This is a picture of the base (bottom) of the bullet. Damage due to rocks under tube.
10mm Reloading Forum


Lyman .45ACP 195gr Devastator HP

This bullet performed pretty well, although it over expanded. Photos I've seen of it on the internet show that it's a pretty good performer. It seems it usually expands to a flat disk, kind of like a 155gr Silvertip. However, for me, it over-expanded. All that was left was the core. The other pieces broke off and did a little bit of secondary wounding similar to the light 10mm bullets (though not as bad due to the much lower velocity). This test should actually be pretty accurate. The only part that didn't get captured accurately was penetration. I think it would likely have stopped had the back half of the wax been solid.

Load: Winchester brass, CCI 300, Unique 7.3gr, COAL 1.23" (the COAL probably should have been shorter, but I just guessed on the safe side)

Max expansion: .512" (realize these figures are for the core only)
Min expansion: .455"
Retained mass: 96.9gr
Penetration: full penetration, about 16"
Max wound channel diameter: 1.5-1.75"

Pictures:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum


Overall, I think the .45ACP test is a good representation of the bullet's performance, minus the full penetration. I would guess around 12" normally. I believe the 10mm test was a full-on disaster. I will definitely repeat it. I know that bullet expands because I've seen it explode in water.

The next test will be the 200gr WFNGC since everyone is interested in it. I was going to try to do it tomorrow, but my girlfriend is off today, so I'm gonna go spend the day with her. That won't leave me the time to get the tubes ready. I'll try to have it done by Tuesday at the latest.

Last edited by 21Carrier; 07-09-2011 at 12:39..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:00   #144
glock20c10mm
Senior Member
 
glock20c10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Out West
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I tested Shadow's cast Lyman Devastator bullets yesterday. Sadly, I messed up. Apparently, I didn't allow the wax to cool fully, and the weather was hot as hell. When I shot the tubes, both slugs went straight through. The first half of the wax (the part the bullet hit first) was cool, and performed normally. However, the second half of the wax was still warm, and jelly-like. Because of this, the bullets just kept on going and exited the tube. I found both bullets (they barely exited the tubes), but they got dinged up pretty badly on the rocks underneath. Also, because it was so hot, and the tubes weren't fully cooled, they melted before I could get them back home. So, I couldn't get accurate measurements. I placed my "wax knife" in the pics to use as a guide for approximate measurements. Anyway, here's the data:

Lyman 10mm 156gr Devastator HP

For some reason, this bullet failed to open. I'm not sure why. The first half of the wax was around normal temperature, so test conditions shouldn't have been different. It actually seems that the impact with the wax CLOSED the hollow point. However, because the bullet hit rocks underneath, it's hard to tell if that happened in or out of the tube. I'm inclined to think the wax did it because most of the obvious rock damage is on the BACK of the bullet. Whatever the cause, it didn't open, so this data is entertaining at best. I will repeat both tests sometime soon.

Load: new Starline brass, CCI 300, Blue Dot 11.0gr, COAL 1.260"

Max expansion: .451"
Retained mass: 155.8gr
Penetration: full penetration, about 16"
Max wound cavity diameter: about 1.5"

Pictures:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

In this picture, the bullet is sitting on its base. So the nose is facing the camera.
10mm Reloading Forum

In this picture, the nose is pointing up (north), base is down (south).
10mm Reloading Forum

This is a picture of the base (bottom) of the bullet. Damage due to rocks under tube.
10mm Reloading Forum


Lyman .45ACP 195gr Devastator HP

This bullet performed pretty well, although it over expanded. Photos I've seen of it on the internet show that it's a pretty good performer. It seems it usually expands to a flat disk, kind of like a 155gr Silvertip. However, for me, it over-expanded. All that was left was the core. The other pieces broke off and did a little bit of secondary wounding similar to the light 10mm bullets (though not as bad due to the much lower velocity). This test should actually be pretty accurate. The only part that didn't get captured accurately was penetration. I think it would likely have stopped had the back half of the wax been solid.

Load: Winchester brass, CCI 300, Unique 7.3gr, COAL 1.23" (the COAL probably should have been shorter, but I just guessed on the safe side)

Max expansion: .512" (realize these figures are for the core only)
Min expansion: .455"
Retained mass: 96.9gr
Penetration: full penetration, about 16"
Max wound channel diameter: 1.5-1.75"

Pictures:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum


Overall, I think the .45ACP test is a good representation of the bullet's performance, minus the full penetration. I would guess around 12" normally. I believe the 10mm test was a full-on disaster. I will definitely repeat it. I know that bullet expands because I've seen it explode in water.

The next test will be the 200gr WFNGC since everyone is interested in it. I was going to try to do it tomorrow, but my girlfriend is off today, so I'm gonna go spend the day with her. That won't leave me the time to get the tubes ready. I'll try to have it done by Tuesday at the latest.
Nice test, nice write up, and thanks!

I'm not particularly into the 200gr WFNGC. I don't see it creating much drama in terms of wound track volume, and outside of maybe Bear defense where we simply want maximum penetration depth period, don't really get where all the hype comes from with that bullet.

By the same token, as I have no direct experience with them, I will be interested to view the results you end up with to see how right or wrong I am based on those bullets against wax.

Keep up the great work 21Carrier, and thanks a million for doing it!
__________________
Free Men Don't Need To Ask Permission To Bear Arms

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:53   #145
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,142
21 Well that was Devastating! Sorry! They do better at lower velocities I suppose.
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 15:56   #146
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
21 Well that was Devastating! Sorry! They do better at lower velocities I suppose.
Don't discount them yet. I suspect the 10mm version will work well when it opens. I'm not sure what happened, but I'll test it again. Also, I have a feeling that is pretty good damage for a .45ACP. We are just used to seeing 10mm damage. I bet when I start testing the .45ACP, we will see that it did pretty well.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 16:05   #147
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,142
I might need to cast those even softer...we'll see.
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 19:19   #148
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
I doubt they are too hard. The wax was softer than usual (though I think the first half was ok), it was extremely hot, it just wasn't the best test. I would say wait until we get another test. I think they will work fine. The one I shot into water blew up pretty well. Plus, don't forget that the Gold Dots failed to open in the wax. Maybe it's just a little harder to open. That's not always a bad thing. They might not work in the wax, but work fine in water/gelatin/tissue. They might be too hard for the wax, but I don't think that means you should change them. I would think you would want them to be somewhat hard since they lack a jacket. We will see when I repeat the test. From now on, I'll make sure the wax has had plenty of time to harden.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 16:53   #149
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,207
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Cool test ... I've been out of town for a few days and am about to leave again. I'm keeping up on your tests but don't have a PC to respond from most of the time.

Can't wait for the WFNGC loads...! (remember, load them a bit short... maybe 1.245-1.250) for good feeding
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 20:50   #150
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29
 
21Carrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoover, AL
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Cool test ... I've been out of town for a few days and am about to leave again. I'm keeping up on your tests but don't have a PC to respond from most of the time.

Can't wait for the WFNGC loads...! (remember, load them a bit short... maybe 1.245-1.250) for good feeding
I'm gonna keep them at my normal COAL (1.255-1.260") for the test. I don't have enough yet to properly work them up if I changed the COAL. Plus, I do my testing with one round in the gun, so feeding isn't a concern. No need for a second round. I'm hoping to do the WFNGC test Friday.

Sorry I've been slacking lately. It is just ridiculously hot here. Me and GTRhino24 went shooting the day I did the tests on the Devastators, and both of us were showing symptoms of heat exhaustion/heat stroke. He was sick to his stomach, and I was extremely weak. I could barely get my gear back into my car. I got home, sat on the couch to just rest a minute before showering, and woke up 12 hours later. I felt like crap for almost 2 whole days.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 674
203 Members
471 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42