Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:42   #1
achysklic

Was Jesus taught by the Jews

Alot of confusion seems to center around the fact that since Jesus was born a Jew he partook of and was taught by the Jews.

How many believe this?
If so why supporting facts?
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:49   #2
Vic Hays

John 17:8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have recieved them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

Surely Jesus mother and father were Jews, but he did not receive formal education from the Jews. Letters refers to training usually received by formal schooling.

John 7:15 And the Jews marveled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Last edited by Vic Hays; 05-06-2011 at 08:53..
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54   #3
achysklic

So who taught Him?
Old 05-06-2011, 15:38   #4
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by achysklic View Post
So who taught Him?
The Essenes.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 15:41   #5
Brasso

It was fairly common for all Jews to have about memorized the Torah by the time they were adults. Besides, He was a Jew. He partook of the usual Feast Days, Sabbath, and obeyed the commandments. And, He was the son of YHWH after all. He was the Living Torah.
Yeshayahu 9:7 Of the increase of His rule and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and over His reign, to establish it and sustain it with justice and with righteousness from now on, even forever. The ardour of יהוה of hosts does this.
Brasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 16:31   #6
achysklic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
The Essenes.
The Essenes could not have taught him, since Jesus throughout the gospels strongly denounced the jews.JOHN 7:15 shows the jews asked how Jesus knew the books but was never schooled.

ISaIAH prophesied of Jesus being taught by God the Father.

HOW could the jews not know this?
Old 05-06-2011, 20:10   #7
Guss

Jesus had spent time in Egypt. We have no record of many of his years or where he spent them. He could well have learned things elsewhere. For instance, that "turn the other cheek" stuff that didn't fit in with the local traditions might have been derived from spending time in a Buddhist area.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 20:14   #8
AlexHassin

Quote:
The Essenes could not have taught him, since Jesus throughout the gospels strongly denounced the jews.JOHN 7:15 shows the jews asked how Jesus knew the books but was never schooled.

Just because you learned from someone does not mean you like them. I attended a catholic school for a while. Does not mean I agree with them in any sense at all. oww catholic school girls, those where the days
AlexHassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 20:53   #9
bandmasterjf

Quote:
Alot of confusion seems to center around the fact that since Jesus was born a Jew he partook of and was taught by the Jews.

How many believe this?

John 1 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It seems pretty presumptuous that anyone could teach The Word of God about the Word of God.
LUKE 22:36
bandmasterjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 21:01   #10
Shinesintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmasterjf View Post
John 1 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It seems pretty presumptuous that anyone could teach The Word of God about the Word of God.

Pretty much sums it up. Good, scratch that, GREAT post.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:17   #11
muscogee

Quote:

Only John denounced the Jews. the other three Gospels do not. This makes more sense since all of the original Christians were Jews.

The Essene practiced daily baptism and felt their mission was to "make straight the way of the Lord" (i.e., prepare for the coming of the Messiah). they practiced poverty and absence from worldly pleasures, including marriage. Every day they prayed for the Lord to give them their daily bread.

How do you explain the following verses?

19:30 saying to them, "Go into the village facing you. On entering it you will find an ass's foal tied up which no one has ever yet ridden: untie it, and bring it here.
19:31 And if any one asks you, `Why are you untying the colt?' simply say, `The Master needs it.'"

Luke 22:10 "You will no sooner have entered the city," He replied, "than you will meet a man carrying a pitcher of water. Follow him into the house to which he goes,

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 22:32   #12
FifthFreedom

Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
Assuming he existed, he would have been taught more than likely by his parents since it is one of the 613 commandments. We are to teach the words of Torah to our children. Since his parents would have been Jewish, they had that obligation. Had they not, they would have been in transgression.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול

Last edited by FifthFreedom; 05-08-2011 at 22:35..
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00   #13
Toorop

He was also punished by them because he blasphemed their religion. So they nailed him to a 2x4 and had themselves a crucifixion.

Reminds me of the ol' West when people had themselves a lynchin'.
Toorop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55   #14
FifthFreedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
He was also punished by them because he blasphemed their religion. So they nailed him to a 2x4 and had themselves a crucifixion.

Reminds me of the ol' West when people had themselves a lynchin'.

who is "them"?
The romans? Those are the ones who killed him. "Blaspheming Judaism is not a capitol offense under Jewish Law in any case..try getting your facts straight.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
Old 05-11-2011, 09:38   #15
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
Assuming he existed, he would have been taught more than likely by his parents since it is one of the 613 commandments. We are to teach the words of Torah to our children. Since his parents would have been Jewish, they had that obligation. Had they not, they would have been in transgression.

Yes, His parents had that obligation as do all parents have an obligation to teach their children. Yet, all things are hardly dependent upon what men can or may do.

The Father had the obligation also to teach His Son through the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, this is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:56   #16
hannielonline

Quote:

How many believe this?

Let me gain some understanding, His earthly mother and father were both Hebrews. He was born a Jew by birth. His upbringing was Jewish culture surrounded by Romans who allowed conquered culture to retain their identity. I would say He was taught and kept the Torah.
hannielonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:17   #17
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannielonline View Post
Let me gain some understanding, His earthly mother and father were both Hebrews. He was born a Jew by birth. His upbringing was Jewish culture surrounded by Romans who allowed conquered culture to retain their identity. I would say He was taught and kept the Torah.
Not to mention that being the Logos would bestow certain advantages.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 13:52   #18
achysklic

In john 8 Jesus plainly tells us that The Father was the one whom taught him. The Rabbis knew he wasn't taught by the Jews or scholars of the day.

John 8:26I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him. 27They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.
28Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:32   #19
FifthFreedom

Quote:
In john 8 Jesus plainly tells us that The Father was the one whom taught him. The Rabbis knew he wasn't taught by the Jews or scholars of the day.

John 8:26I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him. 27They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.
28Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Well here is is referring to himself as "BenAdam"

never claimed he was literally the The son of G-d. Lest he would not refer to himself in such a manner.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33   #20
achysklic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
Well here is is referring to himself as "BenAdam"

never claimed he was literally the The son of G-d. Lest he would not refer to himself in such a manner.
Jesus always referred to Himself as BenAdam or son of Adam. But did you also read on in that verse where he states His Father (God) taught him?

I have a quick question, who is the" US " in the book of Gen. referring to?