Still no answers.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07   #2
4949shooter

Thanks blueiron.
Old 05-07-2011, 14:43   #3
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Interesting read. What's your take blueiron?
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 16:20   #4
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Sad, but I think it most likely was a suicide designed to provide his family with life insurance / survivor benefits, as well as a "good name" as he would not be indicted.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 17:17   #5
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Sad, but I think it most likely was a suicide designed to provide his family with life insurance / survivor benefits, as well as a "good name" as he would not be indicted.
That is what I was thinking.

I don't get the whole "indictment" thing over time sheets. I can understand a civil suit but indictment?
Old 05-07-2011, 17:58   #6
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
That is what I was thinking.

I don't get the whole "indictment" thing over time sheets. I can understand a civil suit but indictment?
It's theft, and theft under color of authority (Ohio calls it "theft in office"). Makes it a felony no matter if it was for $1 or $1,000,000.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 19:42   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
In AZ, Fraudulent Schemes, a felony.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 21:14   #8
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
In AZ, Fraudulent Schemes, a felony.
So how many admin cops have been indicted for coming late and leaving early?

( ok ok so they are salaried but they are doing the same thing)
Old 05-08-2011, 02:42   #9
blueiron

4949shooter: you are most welcome.

Sharky7: I don't know because something nags at me about this incident. Phoenix PD recruits I trained at the academy and who worked that area in patrol or detectives clammed up right afterwards. A homicide detective I have known well for 25 years changes the subject and he was never shy about anything. A Sergeant in that precinct who is a Marine reservist and is my age - volunteered for in and was sent to Afghanistan. Even his wife was stunned about that one.

An ex-cop by the name of George Contreras [who now owns a guitar shop and worked with and played in a band with Drenth] keeps coming up in the investigation. He quit just two years prior to retirement and was implicated in the off duty scandal.

Here is the business MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/raptorguitars

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_...-investigation

http://www.kpho.com/news/27810235/detail.html

Contreras knew that Drenth was dead within two minutes of its occurrence and 118 minutes before Drenth's wife found out. Both he and officers in the South Mountain precinct were served with court orders mandating surrender of DNA samples.

Drenth had no financial problems, no significant previous disciplinary issues, and no other known psychological stressors that would have triggered a suicide. Although the criminal case against the officers is ongoing, it isn't an organized scheme to defraud - though some officers claimed time worked and never bothered to show up. I have heard that Drenth was one of the late arrivers - early departers and that was it. Hardly anything to shoot ones self over. He could have pled out or even made a go for a finding of not guilty at trial with a decent CDA. At work, he would have gotten a day or two on the beach.

Dragoon44: Arizona chiefs have a historical zealotry when pursuing discipline against officers suspected of wrongdoing, even to go as far as trying to revoke certifications when the prosecutors won't file charges and the admin investigations don't turn up enough. The Phoenix "Public Safety Manager" [aka as a double dipping retired chief] Jack Harris brought the issue to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office after an instance of an officer shot an unarmed man and the officer was charger with homicide. The chief was also alleged to have cooked the kidnapping stats to get Federal grant funds for the department and some other internal personnel headaches over promoting cronies, covering for favorite underlings - like a Sergeant who got two DUIs within 5 years, was promoted to Lieutenant at the Homeland Security Bureau and now has an officer as a personal chauffeur to and from work each day etc. Plenty of cops say that it was designed to take the pressure off of Harris and show that he was "strong" on cleaning up their own "problems".

http://www.badphoenixcops.blogspot.com/

Phoenix PD is a mess right now and Harris was forced to retire. Some other Arizona agencies have a black eye or three for what their brass has done.

Joe Arpaio is under Federal investigation and was forced to fire his number 2 and 3 men at MCSO for lying and improper prosecutions. His number 4 is still on suspension and everyone that was investigated [judges, attorneys, county supervisors, etc] is suing for hundreds of millions of dollars total.

Another local chief at Goodyear PD had to retire when it was learned that he failed to ensure an investigation was conducted into an officer who willingly came forward after he struck and may have killed a pedestrian while on duty. His Commander just got relieved of duty.

The Director of Arizona DPS got into a headache over an off duty use of force and failing to disclose it during confirmation hearings.

As Sam Spade can ably attest, Sheriff Clarence Dupnik went off during the Giffords shooting and Pima County is probably still talking about his statements.

My former agency just had a supervisor get fired for using a GPS tracker on his estranged wife's auto without department permission, without a valid investigatory purpose, and after repeated incidents of domestic violence between them and in public. He was found guilty and placed on probation. He lost his termination appeal and then went over to his spouse's house and tied her up. The daughter fled the scene and called the local PD. The local PD goes into barricade mode and he makes statements that he os going to soak her in gasoline and immolate her. As the PD kicked the door, he shot and killed himself.

Frankly, I don't know what to make of it. I have seen and known individual cops go bad from time to time and some did commit serious or even ghastly crimes. It was so shocking because it was rather infrequent here. Now, it seems that the Baby Boomer generation concept of relativism, conditional ethics, and emotion based decision making has led to a generation of citizens and cops who can't do what is right and place their own selves above their jobs, families, missions, and ethics. Many more cops of all ranks and times in grade are doing simply stupid things for a moment of benefit.

The case of Sean Drenth looks like something out of a 1940s crime novel. I lean towards he being murdered by someone he knew well, yet not enough facts are available to me to go on more than a gut reaction. It has the experts stumped and they see a lot of homicides.

Last edited by blueiron; 05-08-2011 at 02:47..
Old 05-08-2011, 11:45   #10
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
The case of Sean Drenth looks like something out of a 1940s crime novel. I lean towards he being murdered by someone he knew well, yet not enough facts are available to me to go on more than a gut reaction. It has the experts stumped and they see a lot of homicides.
Seems like a Wambaugh style crime book waiting to happen.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:47   #11
jethro21

Not that this means anything, but he still isn't on the Officer Down memorial page....

Things are not looking so great right now for the Phoenix police department. There are a ton of great, hard working, honest and loyal officers working there, but I for one am glad I decided to go elsewhere in the metro area.
jethro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:33   #12
CAcop

Now that you have added some local flavor it does sounds suspicious. If people are tight lipped it usually means they have a suspect but they don't want to tip them off. Our detectives do that to us patrol officers even though there is some dude with a gun in town who has killed someone. They act like we never go into the ****ty parts of town and we don't contact gang members.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54   #13
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Ya this sounds like it's straight out of Cop Land.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 19:08   #14
blueiron

Phoenix PD has just released some of the on scene photos of Sean Drenth's incident scene. All are safe for work and/or family.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_...nth-death-case
Old 05-13-2011, 19:38   #15
4949shooter

It's odd the way that shotgun is laying on his chest.
Old 05-13-2011, 19:52   #16
Nine Shooter
Average Guy

Perhaps one of his co-defendants? Maybe he had a change of heart and wanted to come clean/blow the whistle on the others?
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 20:42   #17
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
It's odd the way that shotgun is laying on his chest.
That and no blood on it. I've seen what happens to the head with contact or near contact head wounds involving a shotgun. Blood is everywhere due to the gasses blowing the head apart.

And the whole "I touched his back up gun a few days before he got killed" statement makes me go Hmmmmm.....
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:56   #18
4949shooter

Yeah, the whole thing is weird CA.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:15   #19
bug

Sounds like Central American style corruption has a nice foothold in the southwest USA.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:57   #20
annieO09

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Phoenix PD has just released some of the on scene photos of Sean Drenth's incident scene. All are safe for work and/or family.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_...nth-death-case
After reading this article I got the creeps. It seems to me that Contreras has more than just professional knowledge of the crime. He even offers his own theories. A hit man? That is a red flag for sure not to mention that he made sure he justified his fingerprints on Sean's service revolver. He also states that there is no way it was a suicide and that Sean fought. He knows he did.

Sure, anyone could say that their friend wouldn't give up without a fight but his statements come across as if he was on the scene at the time of Sean's death or one of his goons were.

JMHO

Based on the scene the fact that there was a struggle, passenger and driver side doors were open, one revolver was tossed and the other was close buy yet he shot himself with his shotgun is more than bizarre.
annieO09 is offline   Reply With Quote