Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:00   #21
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

This matter is best left to the states to handle.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:02   #22
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock30user View Post
As much as I would enjoy being to carry anywhere…it is a violation of states rights.
Kinda like Obama-care?

While driver's licenses and marriages are privileges, this would provide an interesting 2A question. Are states not doing this "infringing?"

Last edited by A6Gator; 05-08-2011 at 12:20..
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18   #23
BlackDobe

Would I love it if all 50 states reciprocated by recognizing CFL from any state? Absolutely! We are not too far from that already.

My big concern is if this were mandated by the federal government then how long before the license itself becomes issued by the same federal government?

If/when that happens, what other restrictions will be made part of that license?

Do we really need the leftwing nut states putting immense pressure on the feds to make changes (additional restrictions) that accommodate their anti-gun sentiments that will have an impact on CFL holders in all other states?

It's just too much of a risk, IMHO.

Certain powers just need to remain in the hands of the states.

I also believe that abortion laws belong in the hands of the states rather than the feds. <--- had to throw that in.

NRA Life Member
Certified GLOCK Armorer

Put the fed. govt. in charge of the Sahara Desert and in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.
BlackDobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05   #24
David Armstrong

If the Feds can mandate that all states must recognize the CCW permits from other states as valid then the Fed also has the power to prohibit a CCW permit from one state being recognized as in any other state. Remember the ancient Chinese curse of "May you get what you wish for."
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36   #25
Sippo

Quote:
As much as I would enjoy being to carry anywhere…it is a violation of states rights.
Did you ever wonder why that doesn't apply to your driver's license?

You're right, Mr President. Central PA does love their guns and religion.
Sippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:56   #26
David Armstrong

As mentioned before, driver's licenses are recognized through an interstate compact among the states themselves, not through a federal law.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:02   #27
btj

In a perfect world, I'd love to see this pass, but given that the world is not so perfect... I think I'd definitely rather see this left to the individual states to do as they see fit.
btj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:21   #28
Brucev

Leave it to the states. Do not at all trust anyone in the fed. govt. to have such power. Some states will not agree to cc. Tough for citizens of those states. Good for those in states that do agree to cc. Not willing to jeopardize things for all.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 13:33   #29
TSAX
USAF Vet

Some states now recognize others currently but if state A allows a permit from state B to M but not states C from N to Z then that is hypocritical. When I was in AZ and wanted to take a permit class I was told that I would have to get 3 from certain states that would have reciprocity with 33 states. Then the instructor said it was because of money, thats mainly why its like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:34   #30
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

First, drivers licenses and such are a 'Priviledge' under that states rules, not a consitutional right.

Second, the 'right to bear arms' is a consitutional issue. Two completely different issues.

After briefly reading the bill, it appears it's just consolidating all the CCW permits to make them equal in all states in the states that issue CCWs. Meaning, if I have a MO permit and I am in AL, my permit is reciprocating with AL and I am bound by AL guidelines. It doesn't force the state to accept CCW, unless they already have it.

I have mixed feelings. Since most of the states have different parameters for CCWs, I tend to side with it should be left up to the different states to either accept or not accept another states CCW. I don't feel comfortable letting Uncle Sam make that blanket acceptance. Seems like it could be a slippery slope after that.

On the other hand, I think every state should offer the individual to purchase, retain and carry firearms.

Just my .02.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 15:11   #31
usmc4641
NRA member

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Old 05-09-2011, 16:09   #32
Toorop

Quote:
So is FOPA and LEOSA.
Should we repeal those laws as well?
Toorop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:12   #33
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

This abomination pases and you can expect in a few years they will amend it. To "standardize" carry requirements like training etc. Then before long it will have it's own bureaucracy whose only purpose is to promulgate rules and regulations whether they are needed or not.
Old 05-09-2011, 16:15   #34
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6Gator View Post
Kinda like Obama-care?

While driver's licenses and marriages are privileges, this would provide an interesting 2A question. Are states not doing this "infringing?"
Marriage is not a privilege. In many religions you can only have sexual relations with someone whom you are married to. If you forbid people from marrying you are violating their religious beliefs in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2011, 16:24   #35
vram74

How about instead of this we get a law spelling out and reaffirming the 2nd amendment as a right, the complete nullification of any Local/State/Federal law that restricts the 2nd amendment and a permanent ban on the possibility of it ever being brought up again in the future?
vram74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:33   #36
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vram74 View Post
How about instead of this we get a law spelling out and reaffirming the 2nd amendment as a right, the complete nullification of any Local/State/Federal law that restricts the 2nd amendment and a permanent ban on the possibility of it ever being brought up again in the future?
Then they will just repeal that law.
Old 05-09-2011, 16:50   #37
Oso

I think the whole point has been missed. The bill is for Reciprocity of CCW licenses. This means that the states have to recognize the CCW license as valid, not the issuing states laws. A state like New York could still limit your possession of "high"capacity magazines and where and how you can carry. I personally think it would become a logistic nightmare and anti-gun states would make it miserable enough that even valid CCW carries would be afraid to carry in that state.
Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:54   #38
Gokyo

Quote:
I like the idea. But it does violate states rights. I would not vote for it.

Courage is grace under pressure
Gokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 17:00   #39
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

We already have that - it's called the 2nd amendment.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55   #40
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by vram74 View Post
How about instead of this we get a law spelling out and reaffirming the 2nd amendment as a right,
I think we have that now as a result of the Heller and the McDonald cases.
Quote:
the complete nullification of any Local/State/Federal law that restricts the 2nd amendment
All amendments are subject to reasonable regulation and restrictions.
Quote:
and a permanent ban on the possibility of it ever being brought up again in the future?
No such thing possible, as it unlawfully restricts the actions of a future elected body to consider and pass legislation.