SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2011, 19:59   #1
crankme30

45's not making book velocity?

Hello,

I am fairly new to reloading, I have only loaded 45ACP and have only used hodgdon HP38/Win231 powder and Precision Delta 230Gr FMJ bullets using a Dillon Square Deal B press.

According to Hodgdon's load data, 4.2gr of HP38 at 1.200 AOL should make 751 FPS with a Hornady 230gr FMJ FP. That is the closest data I could find as nothing is listed for the precision delta 230gr FMJ. When I chrono my loads using 4.5 gr of HP38 I am averaging only 660 FPS.

Anyone else have issues with results that far off from listed velocity? Is there something I could be doing wrong? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
crankme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 21:35   #2
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankme30 View Post
Hello,

I am fairly new to reloading, I have only loaded 45ACP and have only used hodgdon HP38/Win231 powder and Precision Delta 230Gr FMJ bullets using a Dillon Square Deal B press.

According to Hodgdon's load data, 4.2gr of HP38 at 1.200 AOL should make 751 FPS with a Hornady 230gr FMJ FP. That is the closest data I could find as nothing is listed for the precision delta 230gr FMJ. When I chrono my loads using 4.5 gr of HP38 I am averaging only 660 FPS.

Anyone else have issues with results that far off from listed velocity? Is there something I could be doing wrong? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

What barrel length are you shooting your reloads from and what barrel length does your load data use, this can make a big difference. Also any time you are comparing different manufactured bullets they can vary because harder or softer materials used in the manufacture of the different bullets affects pressure.

Any time barrels, components, seating depth, crimp, and any other variables are different, your velocity can and usually will be different.

The velocities given in loading manuals only give the velocity they acheived with that load and their componants and their gun, and are guidlines for you. Your results will always be somewhat different.

Last edited by ColoCG; 05-08-2011 at 21:38..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 21:41   #3
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

You sure your chrono was reading right.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 22:50   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCG View Post
What barrel length are you shooting your reloads from and what barrel length does your load data use, this can make a big difference. Also any time you are comparing different manufactured bullets they can vary because harder or softer materials used in the manufacture of the different bullets affects pressure.

Any time barrels, components, seating depth, crimp, and any other variables are different, your velocity can and usually will be different.

The velocities given in loading manuals only give the velocity they acheived with that load and their componants and their gun, and are guidlines for you. Your results will always be somewhat different.

Bravo, sir.

Welcome to GT Reloading.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 00:50   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Understand this, your gun is your gun, the book data may use something entirely diff. You are likely to not get the identical vel even if using the identical components. Trying to achieve printed data using a chronograph can be frustrating at least & disasterous at worst, if you don't understand the relationship. Example, you will never get book vel using your G36 w/ any published data not put together in a G36. Even then, you could have as much as 50fps diff between the same guns w/ identical loads.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2011 at 00:52..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:34   #6
crankme30

Thanks for all the responses... The load data is for a 5" barrel with 1:16" twist using Federal 150 primers.... I am using CCI 300 primers and shot my reloads out of both my XD45 tactical with 5" barrel and my 1911 with 5" barrel. The results were very close. I also tried some factory ammo and was getting over 800 FPS so I dont think it is the Chronograph.

I have loaded around 1000 rounds so far and this was the first chance I had to chrono any of them. I will be using these loads for USPSA, so I was concerned when I realized I wasnt making major power factor. I guess I will see if I can get another Chrono to use, otherwise I will just continue to work up the loads until I get to where I need to be. Of course I will keep looking for signs of pressure. I was concerned because the max load is 5.3GR and I am at 4.5 and my velocity is alomost 100 FPS under the Minumum load velocity.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21   #7
ColoCG

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses... The load data is for a 5" barrel with 1:16" twist using Federal 150 primers.... I am using CCI 300 primers and shot my reloads out of both my XD45 tactical with 5" barrel and my 1911 with 5" barrel. The results were very close. I also tried some factory ammo and was getting over 800 FPS so I dont think it is the Chronograph.

I have loaded around 1000 rounds so far and this was the first chance I had to chrono any of them. I will be using these loads for USPSA, so I was concerned when I realized I wasnt making major power factor. I guess I will see if I can get another Chrono to use, otherwise I will just continue to work up the loads until I get to where I need to be. Of course I will keep looking for signs of pressure. I was concerned because the max load is 5.3GR and I am at 4.5 and my velocity is alomost 100 FPS under the Minumum load velocity.

The load data you are referencing is for a Hornady FMJFN bullet with a COL of 1.200". I assume you are using Precision Delta's FMJ RN bullet.

Load data that might be closer to your bullet could be found in the Speer manual. They show a 230gr. TMJ RN bullet with a starting load of 5.6gr. of 231 at a COL of 1.260" and a Max charge of 6.2gr. 231 at COL 1.260" at 858fps in a 4.4" barrel.

I would check your COL and continue to increase your load slowly, it looks like you have sufficient room to achieve the velocity you desire safely.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:23   #8
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Bravo, sir.

Welcome to GT Reloading.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

Charlie.
Old 05-09-2011, 13:06   #9
fredj338

Quote:
I was concerned because the max load is 5.3GR and I am at 4.5 and my velocity is alomost 100 FPS under the Minumum load velocity.

With fast powders, vel & pressures rise quickly. So I am not surprised toy would be at least 100fps slower using 0.8gr less of HP38/W231. FWIW, 5.3gr isn't max w/ the 230grFMJ form PD @ 1.250"OAL, IIRC it's only running around 800fps in my XDTAC.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2011 at 13:08..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:33   #10
crankme30

Thanks again... looks like I was using the wrong data, I appreciate everyones help.. I will adjust my AOL and work my loads up accordingly.

Tags
230gr, 45acp, hp38, win231