Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2011, 19:49   #1
SJ 40

Two month review of Gote Gear hybrid holster

Playboy Penguin started the whole thing for me with this thread http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1327738 Well I ended up ordering one back in March and have worn/used it ever since. Gote Gear also known as The Last US Bag co. produces a Kydex Mesh hybrid holster for my G22's http://concealedcarryholstersstore.c...lster-Glock-17

When I received it it was very well made. Kydex main body ,edges were smooth no rough edges to abrade gun or body. The backing next to gun and skin is a thin sheet of kydex covered by mesh similar to what is commonly used in some of the better climbing hiking gear,instead of leather. This mesh is used on both sides of the thin kydex body plate,so the mesh contacts both the gun on the body side and your body.
I noticed that the spring clips were some of the heaviest ,well made clips I have ever seen on any holster I have ever bought using steel spring clips.
I have to say more on the clips,as they the steel clips are a tuck able design and work well as they come.
I have been a customer of Comp Tac and Love their C clips so much so that I had a spare set on hand. I unscrewed the steel spring clips and tried on the CT C clips,no problems. So I tried it on of a pair of pants with belt,still no problem,since then my Gote Gear holster has been wearing C. T. C clips.
I also made one other small adjustment to the holster as it came from the package. The retention device they use is a small round divot in the center of the trigger guard,for myself it offered a little too much retention. Out came the heat gun and a few seconds of heat on the area and pushed the divot out just a little,good to go.

I live in Vermont and summer is not something we are known for,winter on the other hand is. So far we have had exactly one 81 degree day,folks say summer here is the two weeks before and after the 4 th. of July. I have worn it next to the skin because when it does make it into the 90"s I dislike leather next to my skin. I sweat like a pig and dislike smelling like a old horse barn after one seasons wear of a leather holster.

After wearing it for a couple of weeks I called Gote Gear up to tell them how well I liked the holster and asked about washing instructions of the mesh lining,by the way hand wash the mesh if you need or want to wash. When he asked me if I had any problems or complaints with it,the only thing I told him was about the retention divot depth. He asked me what I liked,what's not to like,comfort,comfort. I put a gun on in the morning and take it off before I go to bed so I wear a gun all day and almost every day It is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn,I have a big pile of holster CT,Alessi,Sparks ,Kramer,Kirkpatric and some custom makers, a pile of them. With the C.T. C clips this is a close to perfection as I have found. SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 05-11-2011 at 19:54..
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:00   #2
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
I live in Vermont and summer is not something we are known for,winter on the other hand is.
You know what is considered lingerie in Vermont? Anything flannel with less than 8 buttons.

Nice review, please do another one this summer and tell us how well the mesh stuff works in the heat.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39   #3
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailRecoveryAgent View Post
You know what is considered lingerie in Vermont? Anything flannel with less than 8 buttons.

Nice review, please do another one this summer and tell us how well the mesh stuff works in the heat.
Good one and very True,at the moment it's 56 degrees and I am wearing a thick flannel shirt,LOL. I will update this every once and a while. SJ 40
Old 05-12-2011, 14:56   #4
Capp35

How does the mesh feel next to the skin? Does it fell kinda padded?
Describe please compared to leather.

I am just a little nervous about putting kydex next to my $1k frame. (1911)

Thx!
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:05   #5
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp35 View Post
How does the mesh feel next to the skin? Does it fell kinda padded?
Describe please compared to leather.

I am just a little nervous about putting kydex next to my $1k frame. (1911)

Thx!
The mesh next to the skin feels great compared to leather although I had wondered also. The kydex backing plate is mesh covered on both sides so the gun next to the backing plate contacts mesh not kydex and yes it's padded.
The main body of the holster is the only exposed kydex,I have not had any wear on the gun due to the kydex main body. SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 05-12-2011 at 19:08..
Old 05-13-2011, 15:16   #6
cmmoore628

great review so far. i've been eyeing this holster since you mentioned it. I was wondering if it was a thicker holster than most other IWBs? thanks.
cmmoore628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 16:52   #7
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmoore628 View Post
great review so far. i've been eyeing this holster since you mentioned it. I was wondering if it was a thicker holster than most other IWBs? thanks.
No actually I could do the measurements versus my Comp Tac but I can tell you by feel their is more room when I button my jeans compared to the Comp Tac,enough so that I notice it. SJ 40
Old 06-06-2011, 19:46   #8
SJ 40

Well Vermont and most of new england is getting hot and very sticky,and some really weird weather,tornados,flooding,mud slides, for new england any way.

I still am impressed with the Gote Gear IWB holster,the thing I like best is the mesh doesn't stick to my side. The mesh also doesn't seem to pick up any sweat odor like my leather backed hybrid holsters do,no sweat or musty odors. The very best feature is the comfort of it.
I have a drawer full of holsters that I have worn this one won't end up in that drawer.

I put the holster on with my pants and take it off when I go to bed so I wear it all day long and Love the comfort of it. SJ 40