Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2011, 21:12   #1
lookin4my1stglock

Right handed....left eye dominant

ok here's my dilemma....I am new to pistol shooting (meaning I have shot maybe 10 rds in a pistol)....looking to buy my first pistol....and I am predominantly right handed in everything I do but found that I am left eye dominant. I shoot archery right handed and my left eye dominance messes with my accuracy. When learning how to shoot pistol (since handedness doesn't seem to matter in pistols as it does with bows), should I train left handed because of my left eye dominance or shoot right handed using my right eye? I am just curious as to what people think or suggest. Thanks for everyone's responses!
lookin4my1stglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 21:14   #2
Shinesintx

Switch hands or aim right?

Last edited by Shinesintx; 05-11-2011 at 21:14..
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 21:20   #3
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
I have been shooting pistols for years. I am left handed when I write and eat but right handed for everything else (shooting, golf, hockey, throwing, etc.). I am left eye dominant. For the past 5+ years I have taught myself to aim with my right eye. I would have to close my left entirely. I took a handgun course a few weeks ago and the instructor determined that I am still left eye dominant. I was trying to aim with both eyes open and it just wasnt happening. My left eye was constantly taking over. So what I did was start aiming with my left eye and have my right eye either closed or squinting. My accuracy improved tremendously (it was good before but now its awesome).

My recomendation would be to NOT switch hands. That is going to be pretty detremental, especially if you have no other lefty tendencies. Just aim with your left eye when pistol shooting and use your right eye when going to a long gun. It has worked pretty well for me.
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 21:21   #4
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Adopt an iscoseles stance (both arms extended) as your predominate shooting position. A minor shift in the actual direction of the gun in your hands can bring the sights into alignment with your dominant eye without major distortion of your grip, irrespective of whichever hand you use to pull the trigger. This can remedy 80% of your cross-dominance issues.
Old 05-11-2011, 21:26   #5
lookin4my1stglock

Awesome awesome info guys, thank you very much!!
Old 05-11-2011, 21:27   #6
Just1More

I'm right handed/left eye dominant and don't even think about it doing athletic activities. I shoot guns, bows, and pool just fine.
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 21:32   #7
glockin-45

I'm like you. Depending on distance, you can shoot with both eyes open
for close range, or just close your right eye. No problem. It's to hard for
me to close left eye,it's not natural and there is no need for it with a handgun. Shotguns i can shoot fine. But Rifles i'm forced to shoot left
handed. Just shoot what ever style you feel comfortable with. Enjoy
glockin-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 21:46   #8
Teecher45

Same problem here. An instructor suggested squinting (ever so slightly) my left eye. Your right eye will take over but you will also still have (most of) your full vision. It isn't perfect but it's better for me, YMMV. Just try it, what have you got to lose?
This also works (again, for me) with my AR.
Old 05-11-2011, 22:48   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Take a piece of masking tape and tape over the shooting glass's lens of the dominant eye. That way you're forced to shoot with the other eye. After a while, it becomes a habit.

With a handgun, you can fudge the eye, but you can't do that on a rifle. Also, when you fudge the eye, your aim will always be off.
Old 05-11-2011, 22:56   #10
1glockfan23

I have the opposite problem, left-handed, right eye dominant. Thankfully, I joined the Army when I was 17 and they just switched me to shooting right-handed. Problem solved.
1glockfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 23:11   #11
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4my1stglock View Post
ok here's my dilemma....I am new to pistol shooting (meaning I have shot maybe 10 rds in a pistol)....looking to buy my first pistol....and I am predominantly right handed in everything I do but found that I am left eye dominant.
You're going to find a lot of posers in the shooting community. You'll need to be become a good judge of that.

I've been shooting for forty six years.
I am a left eye dominant, right handed shooter.
When I shoot, I close my left eye.
It's not a problem.
It also gives me a tool to judge someone's ability to teach shooting. One instructor who I eventually judged to be a very poor teacher tried to force me to change. One instructor who I think is very good, said I should continue to shoot the way I am comfortable. He shoots the same way (left eye dominant, right handed guy who closes his left eye).

By all accounts, I shoot pretty well. General Firearms Forum

I used to work with a guy who was one of the military's one in a thousand shooters. They used him as an instructor. He had to teach everybody the NRA method (with both eyes open). But, he said he actually shoots with one eye closed.

You should experiment a little and see what works for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:56   #12
GunFighter45ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
Adopt an iscoseles stance (both arms extended) as your predominate shooting position. A minor shift in the actual direction of the gun in your hands can bring the sights into alignment with your dominant eye without major distortion of your grip, irrespective of whichever hand you use to pull the trigger. This can remedy 80% of your cross-dominance issues.
This is what I use. I'm left hand, right eye. For me, it's just a slight rotation of the wrists to bring the eye & sights into alignment. I'll use this type of aimed shooting for marksmanship training where your ring scores are important. For defensive shooting, I use a silhouette type target & use both eyes opened, 'flash sight picture', or point shooting ala' the Applegate Method for distances upto 21 feet.
Lone Star Glockers #85
GunFighter45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:07   #13
Stubudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1glockfan23 View Post
I have the opposite problem, left-handed, right eye dominant. Thankfully, I joined the Army when I was 17 and they just switched me to shooting right-handed. Problem solved.
yea, well switching hands is about 100x easier than switching eyes

lefthanded never will feel right to me though i don't think- long guns are tolerable, but handguns are just too weird

it's a never-ending battle for me- i mean it's functional, but i guess i don't get to practice enough to ever really be comfortable

Last edited by Stubudd; 05-12-2011 at 10:11..
Stubudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17   #14
RMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4my1stglock View Post
ok here's my dilemma....I am new to pistol shooting (meaning I have shot maybe 10 rds in a pistol)....looking to buy my first pistol....and I am predominantly right handed in everything I do but found that I am left eye dominant. I shoot archery right handed and my left eye dominance messes with my accuracy. When learning how to shoot pistol (since handedness doesn't seem to matter in pistols as it does with bows), should I train left handed because of my left eye dominance or shoot right handed using my right eye? I am just curious as to what people think or suggest. Thanks for everyone's responses!
I'm right handed/left eye dominant as well and here's what works for me.

I use what I call the "Hickok45" stance. It's a Chapman/Modified Weaver, but I really pop my strong (right) shoulder up and draw my right arm to the left to align with the left eye (like Hickok45 does).

However, I shoot with both eyes open. I see two sight images, but my left eye's image is strong enough that it stands out quite a bit. The more I practice, the easier it gets.

This works for me and I shoot more accurately using this combo. YMMV.

Last edited by RMD; 05-12-2011 at 11:18..
RMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:39   #15
buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
I'm right handed/left eye dominant and don't even think about it doing athletic activities. I shoot guns, bows, and pool just fine.
Same Here!!
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:40   #16
MinervaDoe

You see, you now have a staggering array of techniques that work for other people. Honestly, I think you'd do well to try the ones that make the most sense to you and see which ones feel good and / or work the best for you.

If somebody tells you that they have the single best technique in the world which you must use, I would encourage you to be skeptical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:53   #17
lookin4my1stglock

This is fantastic everyone!!!! many different techniques to try when i finally make my purchase and get to the range to practice....Hope to see some of ya at the ranges!! Good luck and good shooting!
Old 05-12-2011, 15:12   #18
GlockinNJ

Another right hand/left eye guy here. There's no way I would think of switching hands, just way too comfortable with my right. I also don't plan to attempt to change my eye dominance - prefer to play the cards I was dealt. So, I usually close my right eye when I shoot and it seems to work fine.

This has been discussed before (recently) on GT and lots of guys advocate shooting with both eyes open and aligning your gun/sights with whatever eye dominates. I've tried it, but my eyes battle for dominance and I struggle to get a clear sight picture. When I close my right eye - boom - everything snaps into place. So, that's what I do.

Of course YMMV, but since you are a new shooter, you should read the posts about both eyes open shooting and see if that works for you.

Good luck!
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:28   #19
zigzagg321
clever quip

welcome to the club, you'll get used to it.
zigzagg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:41   #20
Teecher45

Quote:
With a handgun, you can fudge the eye, but you can't do that on a rifle. Also, when you fudge the eye, your aim will always be off.
fnfalman, always, really? Works very well for me. Have you ever considered that everyone is different, and just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it may not work for someone else?