GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:44   #1
ronduke

Students teach hippie about the 1st Amendment.

LSU Student Attempting to Burn Flag Chased Away by Patriots Chanting "Go to Hell, Hippie"

http://punditpress.blogspot.com/2011...burn-flag.html
ronduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:15   #2
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:57   #3
eracer
Where's my EBT?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:16   #4
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

What was he protesting, exactly?
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:29   #5
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
What was he protesting, exactly?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/11...american-flag/
Quote:
Haas organized the protest in response to the arrest of fellow LSU student Isaac Eslava, who was charged last week for taking the American flag at the Baton Rouge campus’ historic War Memorial and burning it hours after news of Usama bin Laden’s killing by U.S. Navy Seals.
The 10-by-15 flag burned by Eslava flew atop a 102-foot pole 24 hours a day at the campus and honors all the war dead from LSU. Police said there was about $7,530 worth of damage at the memorial and called it very "coincidental" that the event took place so soon after bin Laden's death.
“I think that (Haas') goal from this protest was to have LSU drop charges (against Eslava) and handle the matter internally,” Ballard said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/11...#ixzz1M8lCpNQk
Following Haas' fiasco...
Quote:
Haas' protest was followed by a separate peaceful assembly led by LSU student government president Cody Wells. In front of a crowd gathered around the campus’ flagpole, Wells read the history behind the American flag and led the audience in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the national anthem.
Wells went on to say, “My main message behind all of this is that it’s time for my generation and our society to start speaking up so that the minority voice does not always seem like the loudest voice,” Wells said. “(Haas) did have the right to burn the flag, but it was not an honorable thing for him to do and our student body and fellow Louisianans made that very clear today as they rallied on campus to show support for our county.

See, some kids do have their heads screwed on right.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58   #6
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronduke View Post
LSU Student Attempting to Burn Flag Chased Away by Patriots Chanting "Go to Hell, Hippie"

http://punditpress.blogspot.com/2011...burn-flag.html
Not quite chased away. LSU PD removed him for his own safety after some of the counter-protesters became violent. I certainly don't condone his actions, but the "patriots" didn't come off that well, IMO. A counter-protest is one thing, stifling free speech by use of force or violence is something else entirely, IMO.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14   #7
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
Not quite chased away. LSU PD removed him for his own safety after some of the counter-protesters became violent. I certainly don't condone his actions, but the "patriots" didn't come off that well, IMO. A counter-protest is one thing, stifling free speech by use of force or violence is something else entirely, IMO.
The government didn't stifle his free speech, they don't have a right to; his fellow students on the other hand can't violate his right to free speech because he has no protection against it.

I can't view the video, so I cna't see the "violence". Did they touch him or just threaten it?

ETA- after reading the Fox piece, I wonder what actions resulted in the use of combative as a description for the crowd. He moved, the crowd followed and the police acted in an abundance of caution to move him away.

Water balloons- classic

Last edited by BamaTrooper; 05-12-2011 at 10:19..
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32   #8
Cav

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
If Soldier's are expected to fight and die to protect our flag, the American flag, is it wrong for others to protect it as well?

Did he have permit for an open fire?

What does the law for arson state?

IMHO if you are in an area that has a large group of people, and you do a dumb act, you deserve the whooping that follows. Burn a flag in front of Soldiers, be a white guy and use the N word in front of a large group of black people, use the word ***** in font of a group of women. Hate speech is hate speech. The first Amendment only covers some speech, not all speech.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:44   #9
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Well, unlike China, the cops didn't drag him away or beat him. American action as it should be, even if boisterous.

And yes, reckless burning, burning without enclosure and some other charges come to mind should we encounter something similar.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 22:08   #10
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
I am of the mind if a person wants to so much do damage to the flag representing the country that I serve, then the person in particular should simply enfold one's self into the loving embraces of the burning flag, and be consumed therewith.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:25   #11
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I respect and will protect the right of someone who wants to exercise their 1st Amendment Right to burn our flag. I will also respect anyone who defends the honor of my country by beating the crap out of said flag burner.

I didn't see a thing by the way. Someone called my name and I turned away to look, thereby not seeing the alleged incident where the hippie flag burner got attacked.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:14   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Well said.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55   #13
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

wha fraking wha.....i have no problem with somebody getting the schiet kicked out of them for disgracing our flag on purpose.

dont like? get the frack out.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:58   #14
Gator Monroe

So many of the under 40 crowd has been brainwarshed into good little Progressives who have issues with The Racist Bigoted Homophobic slave owning coloniailist imperialist American flag and want it changed ...
Gator Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:50   #15
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
The government didn't stifle his free speech, they don't have a right to; his fellow students on the other hand can't violate his right to free speech because he has no protection against it.
Free speech can be stifled without consideration of a rights issue.
Quote:
I can't view the video, so I cna't see the "violence". Did they touch him or just threaten it?
Objects were thrown. I thought the water balloons were cute, but then it escalated to full water bottles and then soda cans and other hard objects.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:55   #16
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
If Soldier's are expected to fight and die to protect our flag, the American flag, is it wrong for others to protect it as well?
Depends entirely on how they protect it and other considerations.

Quote:
Did he have permit for an open fire?

What does the law for arson state?
Not needed and irrelevant, IIRC. The area he was in is sort of a free-speech zone where individual demonstrations and such are allowed, and there would have been no arson.
Quote:
IMHO if you are in an area that has a large group of people, and you do a dumb act, you deserve the whooping that follows. Burn a flag in front of Soldiers, be a white guy and use the N word in front of a large group of black people, use the word ***** in font of a group of women. Hate speech is hate speech. The first Amendment only covers some speech, not all speech.
We'll have to disagree. Might does not make right, and given that the Court has specifically ruled flag burning as protected speech hard to argue against that. I find it problematic at best, and I like I said, I think the water balloons were a brilliant idea as counter-protest. but when it becomes violent that is a different ballgame, IMO.
Old 05-13-2011, 19:33   #17
GackMan

I think it is brilliant.

Free speech for everyone... What? Surprised that not everyone agrees with you?
Old 05-13-2011, 20:18   #18
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan View Post
I think it is brilliant.

Free speech for everyone... What? Surprised that not everyone agrees with you?
And therein is the crux of the issue he failed to realize.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 22:33   #19
EOD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I am of the mind if a person wants to so much do damage to the flag representing the country that I serve, then the person in particular should simply enfold one's self into the loving embraces of the burning flag, and be consumed therewith.

Eloquence in action, well said Hack.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00   #20
Pinki
CLM Number
Kiss My Glock

That is the best news I've heard all week! GO LSU students!