Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 14:01   #1
IndianaMatt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,542
Is the AR our 'national weapon'?

Middle Eastern countries, and the former Soviet communist bloc in general, use the AK-47 as a symbol of independence, rebellion, liberation, etc.

Mozambique even figures the AK in thier national flag- a symbol of people liberating themselves from oppressive governments and taking control of their fate through arms, I guess.

Would you say the AR-15 has similar significance to the United States? Can it be called our national weapon?

It certainly symbolizes American military might and technological progress vis-a-vis the oppressive and backwards dictatorships that we often fight against, but does it hold the same symbolic significance in the West that the AK holds for the Middle East and former Soviet regime?

What if we put it on OUR national flag (or should that be the 1911 or Colt SAA)?

Last edited by IndianaMatt; 05-12-2011 at 14:03..
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:34   #2
BBJones
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,173
No it does not hold the same significance in our society. No we should not put it on our flag.
__________________
Kalashnikov Klub member # 7.62x39
BBJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:46   #3
IndianaMatt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJones View Post
No it does not hold the same significance in our society. No we should not put it on our flag.
Would you say your membership in the Kalashnikov club in any way influences your answer?
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:52   #4
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,590
Our flag is not to be changed, IMHO. However, the AR is definitely our national rifle.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Last edited by M&P15T; 05-12-2011 at 14:58..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:56   #5
Jack Black
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Vegas Baby!
Posts: 1,056
I think if I had to pick a rifle to symbolize America it would be the M1 Garand because of it's impact in WWII. General Patton called it the greatest battle implement ever devised.
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:06   #6
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned
 
RyanNREMTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 4,726
Depends on which era of American history you are talking about.
__________________
Support Free Range Shopping Carts on Facebook.
RyanNREMTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:08   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 33,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
I think if I had to pick a rifle to symbolize America it would be the M1 Garand because of it's impact in WWII. General Patton called it the greatest battle implement ever devised.
This,.......x3!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:12   #8
IndianaMatt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
I think if I had to pick a rifle to symbolize America it would be the M1 Garand because of it's impact in WWII. General Patton called it the greatest battle implement ever devised.
He did say that... but only because he never lived to behold an AR-15.
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:18   #9
JBnTX
JB in Tx
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,709
The M1 Garand saw this country through far darker times than any AR-15 has.

Today in war we may have reports of 2 or 3 soldiers being killed in one day.
In WWII casuality reports numbered in the thousands, and sometimes in tens of thousands.

The M1 Garand saved not only this country but the entire world.

Last edited by JBnTX; 05-12-2011 at 15:21..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:18   #10
K. Foster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mo.
Posts: 2,125
The 2nd amendment is our “national weapon”.
__________________
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional trains until he can't get it wrong.
K. Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:21   #11
Jack Black
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Vegas Baby!
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
He did say that... but only because he never lived to behold an AR-15.
Think about why you said those other countries revere the AK. It's not because it's the most advanced weapon they've used, or even because it's their current issued service rifle. (I believe Russia has moved on to the AK-74.) It's because of what it means historically, as you say, "a symbol of independence, rebellion, liberation, etc." The Garand was used during the greatest conflict in which the U.S. has been involved. The M16 has been used longer by the US, but not in any conflict nearing the significance of WWII.
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:26   #12
IndianaMatt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
The M1 Garand saw this country through far darker times than any AR-15 has.

Today in war we may have reports of 2 or 3 soldiers being killed in one day.
In WWII casuality reports numbered in the thousands, and sometimes in tens of thousands.

The M1 Garand saved not only this country but the entire world.
Doesn't that mean that the AR is a better weapon than the M1, since less people have died during its reign?

Just sayin'.
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:38   #13
joecoastie
Senior Member
 
joecoastie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Doesn't that mean that the AR is a better weapon than the M1, since less people have died during its reign?

Just sayin'.
I think his point is that World War 2 was a fight for the survival of our way of life, more so than the wars that the M16 has been involved in. This doesn't mean that the M1 is "better" just that from a certain perspective it makes the M1 more powerful as a symbol.
__________________
--------------------------------
USCG, Saving Lives On A Budget.

Last edited by joecoastie; 05-12-2011 at 15:46..
joecoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:02   #14
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member
 
nastytrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,355
Black Rifle Forum
__________________
Chess = Best game ever!
nastytrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:05   #15
glock_19guy1983
Senior Member
 
glock_19guy1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: dixie
Posts: 3,711
I would go with the Winchester '73 as our national rifle.
__________________
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:07   #16
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,590
Service span of the Garand? 15 or so years?

Service span of the M16/M4/AR15? 40+ years.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:26   #17
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member
 
nastytrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,355
It's sort of a hard choice to pick a national weapon... Garand is up there, AR too, but maybe it should be a Remington 700 or 870? Maybe .22LR?

I'm voting the 1911
Black Rifle Forum
__________________
Chess = Best game ever!
nastytrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:27   #18
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net
 
RMTactical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Behind an AR-15
Posts: 29,878


Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Our flag is not to be changed, IMHO. However, the AR is definitely our national rifle.
Agreed. At least for now.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 17:26   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 33,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Service span of the Garand? 15 or so years?

Service span of the M16/M4/AR15? 40+ years.
It's OPINIONS,....not a debate or an argument!
The M1 Garand accomplished a hell of a lot more than the AR has!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 17:33   #20
Sr. Bang Bang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lakewood, OH
Posts: 266
Unfortunately, I would have to say that our nations most devastating, powerful, and lately most efficient weapon, is the liberal voice.

it haunts my dreams.

On a strictly firearms-based poll, I would have to say that the M16 would take the cake, just because of its' longevity and success with our military's history. Though I would love to own an M14 or and M1 Garand. (and I will someday)
__________________
"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"

-Bob Seger
Sr. Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:04.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,524
443 Members
1,081 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31