SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:45   #1
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

5.7x28mm effectiveness

I was reading that it is allegedly more effective than the 9mm, any thoughts? Any evidence on the street about it's effectiveness?
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 21:53   #2
PlasticGuy

The 5.7 will do at the muzzle what an M4 carbine will do at 325 meters. For a rifle, that is pathetic. For a handgun, that is pretty good.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:50   #3
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

My pistol is just fine.
My carbine top AR is for fun.

Original concept was fine in the bullpup with AP rounds in door-to-door fighting.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:31   #4
FiremanJim
Gold Membership

anybody got any numbers on how the 5.7does out of the fiveseven pistol versus other rounds?
Old 06-26-2011, 18:23   #5
ROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanJim View Post
anybody got any numbers on how the 5.7does out of the fiveseven pistol versus other rounds?
In a pistol-to-pistol comparison, with 40-grain bullets, the 5.7x28mm EA (Elite Ammunition) loads achieve a muzzle velocity roughly 700 ft/s faster than the .22 Magnum.

When 30-grain bullets are compared pistol-to-pistol, the 5.7x28mm EA loads achieve a muzzle velocity roughly 1000 ft/s faster than the .22 Magnum.

In a pistol-to-pistol comparison, the 5.7x28mm EA loads produce about three times the muzzle energy of the .22 Magnum.

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-PMR30-2.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/FN-FiveseveN.htm
ROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 18:57   #6
FiremanJim
Gold Membership

interesting but not too much worried about comparing it to a 22 mag versus say a .40 s&w or a 9mm out of a similar sized pistol.....
Old 06-27-2011, 20:49   #7
PlasticGuy

Quote:
interesting but not too much worried about comparing it to a 22 mag versus say a .40 s&w or a 9mm out of a similar sized pistol.....
His post was a response to the usual criticisms of the 5.7 by haters. His point was that even though they have the same bore diameter, they have the same relationship as the .30 Carbine and the .300 Winchester Magnum. He is right.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16   #8
Kwesi

Quote:
IIRC the fact that the round "yaws" on impact is what produces the wound channel. I performed a detailed test a year ago on windshield glass fired from an angle to firing thru sheet metal and into yellow page phonebooks. This was done with and for a LE friend. He was most impressed when he saw the results. I posted photo's on the fiveseven forum. We tested several EA rounds and SS195. He recently sent me a link to recent tests that impressed him even more. If I can locate the link I'll post it.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 17:15   #9
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwesi View Post
IIRC the fact that the round "yaws" on impact is what produces the wound channel. I performed a detailed test a year ago on windshield glass fired from an angle to firing thru sheet metal and into yellow page phonebooks. This was done with and for a LE friend. He was most impressed when he saw the results. I posted photo's on the fiveseven forum. We tested several EA rounds and SS195. He recently sent me a link to recent tests that impressed him even more. If I can locate the link I'll post it.
I'd be very interested in that info, as I am quite curious about the round. After seeing a test on a side of beef a while ago featuring the round, the tumble-effect caused huge permanent wound channel. A person afflicted with the same injury would have bled out pretty quick, I'd guess.
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420
OD G32, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18   #10
Kwesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackelford View Post
I'd be very interested in that info, as I am quite curious about the round. After seeing a test on a side of beef a while ago featuring the round, the tumble-effect caused huge permanent wound channel. A person afflicted with the same injury would have bled out pretty quick, I'd guess.
Rusty: the web site where I posted all the details was hacked and I lost most of the data but was able to find the photo's. The larger holes are from my friends .357Sig rounds:

http://www.57forum.com/viewtopic.php...07606785a8dc95
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 19:38   #11
mcole

i've done a little experimenting with the herstal 57 pistol. first these are custom made cartridges loaded to 2,300 fps or a little more with a 30 grain hollow point bullet intended to destabilize in 2" to 3" after penetration.
from 10' to 12' from the muzzel of the pistol, shot a 10lb ham, a 13 to 14 lb ham and a between 16 and 17 lb ham (this one with the bone in it).
the results were that the 10lb ham was blown into 2, pretty much shredded parts. the 13 lb ham was almost into 2 parts (didn't hit it quite in the center) and there was about a 4" shredded wound channel. the 16lb ham with the bone: i wanted to hit the bone, and did. about a 4" shredded channel to the bone. the bone exploded and was blown throughout the ham. hell of a mess behind the bone.
as far as i'm concerned this pistol with the correct cartridge is a devastating "close work" weappon. light weight, 20 round mag, very accurate and flat shooting at least out to 100 yds AND, nominal recoil.
mcole
Old 09-07-2011, 20:35   #12
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

But how was the minced ham afterwards?
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15   #13
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Nice.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 20:32   #14
lslubecki
Dr. Dustcover

I sighted my 5.7 at about 30 yards then at 50 yards same poi and then to the 100 yard and still same poi but the spread was greater. I used a rest at 100 otherwise no accuracy at all with me holding the gun.

I believe the Fort Hood shooter used a 5.7.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
lslubecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 20:46   #15
JK-linux

Last edited by JK-linux; 05-22-2012 at 20:49..
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:06   #16
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-linux View Post
I love the 5.7 round, but can't get use to the placement of the safety on the FiveseveN. A Glock or 1911/CZ/BHP styled 5.7 would be nice to try. Does anyone make conversion kits yet?
I think the safety location makes perfect sense. You work it with a properly indexed trigger finger, and don't have to adjust any other part of your shooting grip. I love the 1911 platform and own several, but I will be the first to admit that the FN FiveseveN safety is at least as good, and maybe better.