Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:20   #1
racer11

Streamlight ultra--Bat. maintence

A couple of years ago I bought a streamlight ultra from Express Police supply and the light stayed on the charger 80% of the time. When I did use the light the beam always looked kinda dim and brownish, defiantly not a white color.

I tried running it down, till completely dead and then charging it back up, but it still was looking like the Bat. was not fully charged when I used the light.

I now bought a new Battery from Express, and they sold me one made by "Interstate Batterys" . Currently the new Bat. is providing good light and good color.

My question is,,,, Should I run the Bat. down on a regular schedule and then do a full recharge. I'm thinking that the extended days on the charger did something to the Bat. and reduced the run time and light output when I needed it. After the first 6-8 months after I bought the light I was noticing the shallow performance of the Bat/light.

Any suggestions or advice. The first Bat. was a Streamlight Bat.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25   #2
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I believe that light would use a NiMh battery, in which case it would be better to cycle it as completely as possible and definitely avoid leaving it on the charger for long stretches

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55   #3
Sundown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I believe that light would use a NiMh battery, in which case it would be better to cycle it as completely as possible and definitely avoid leaving it on the charger for long stretches
What he said

I have used an ultra stinger for the past couple years and while I love the power and size, I don't really care for the battery life. I have found it necessary to completely deplete the battery at least once a week and recharge it from zero to avoid the battery memory issues.

Also, streamlight says that you can keep the light in the charger indefinitely and thanks to their on board circuitry, it won't affect the battery life or performance. That's true to a point, I've found it better to use the light till its dead before I plug it back in for an extended period. I just rotate my spare battery and I always seem to have enough juice to get through the day.

That being said, there have been times when I've had to transition to a back up light because the ultra just runs out of juice. It hasn't been very often though, and overall, I really like the ultrastinger.

423 495 LK23 LK101 LK121 LK135
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:37   #4
ray9898

It should not stay on the charger, it will cause issues with NIMH batteries in my experience.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:52   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Charge it once a week overnight then takes it off charger. Dont charge it again un less you use it.

Should last 3 years + thats way.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 19:29   #6
racer11

Ok,,,, thanks to all who responded. I will do as you suggest,, sounds like the constant on the charger thing is what killed the Bat. I like the idea of having a back up Bat and just alternate them around, and having a extra Bat in case I run out of power.

Later
Old 05-15-2011, 13:22   #7
scottydl

Read the manual. My Stinger DS LED had a specific section that addressed some "battery myths" and how to charge this one.

Most rechargeables are good to run down about halfway, then fully charge. Depleting it completely will reduce its ability to attain a full charge after that. Maybe charge once every 1-2 weeks depending on your usage. Leaving any battery ON or OFF a charger for extended periods of time will always shorten its service life.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote