SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12   #1
Steeler58

Ed Mireles Miami Shootout

Mas

Thanks for the Hanlon interview you shared on this site.

In another thread you mentioned the opportunity to talk with or listen to Ed Mireles version of the shootout. I dont think many of us were privy to this info, much of which could be very practical advice.

Did Ed have any comments that you deem fair to share with everyone here that may apply to self defense in the home or on the street. Is there any source of written material or an interview from Ed that was made public?

I guess it goes without saying that Ed took care of business that day under extreme circumstances.

Your comments as always are much appreciated by all here I well imagine.

Thanks- jim
Steeler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:11   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Ed famously quoted Dylan Thomas: "Do not go gentle into that good night -- rage, rage against the dying of the light!" In his classes he emphasized the importance of staying in the fight, focusing on the task, and getting the job done.

He told me one of his strongest memories of the gunfight was focusing on his front sight for each of the eleven shots he fired, seeing the bead of his 870 shotgun as a huge ball and the giant colored insert on the front sight of his S&W 686 as he finished the gun battle.

Ed pointed out that things stored in the car, from long guns to boxes of spare ammo, are unlikely to be employed when the fight goes dynamic, and what you have on your person is all you'll be able to absolutely count on having.

As soon as allowed after he went back on duty, he switched from the revolver to the SIG P220 .45 auto, and received permission to use a privately-owned, Bureau approved Benelli Super 90 semiautomatic shotgun.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote